Zefal hpX classic frame fit pump

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gaz

Zefal hpX classic frame fit pump

Postby gaz » 4 Feb 2010, 12:56pm

These have been around for a while now, in fact I've had one for twenty years.

I decided to replace it as my old one only works for presta valves (the current adapters won't fit) and once in a blue moon I need a pump that works on a schraeder. Also twenty years have left the thumblock a little floppy in the open position, although it still seals for inflating tubes.

The appearance is virtually unchanged over that time. The old pump was all black but on the new verison the thumblock handle and the lock ring that secures the valve adapter parts are both silver. I wish they were still black but it's no big deal.

The pump itself has a special "widget" in the handle, a narrow metal barrel and a thumblock to seal it to the valve. Reversible innards allow you to set the pump up for either presta or schraeder. It is very easy to switch between the two.

The "widget" is the special bit that makes this pump a little different. When you want to pump up your tyre you twist the "widget" at the top of the handle. It locks off the springy bit that keeps the pump on your bike so that you don't waste energy compressing it on every stroke. Zefal claim around 30% less effort. Don't ask me if that's scientifically tested fact or not but I find it easier than the basic plastic ones. I also recall owning a Zefal fpX in the late 80's which was a basic plastic barrel pump with the "widget" gizmo at the top. It never measured up to the hpX.

On a few very rare occassions the "widget" has got stuck. A quick squirt of WD40 and a twist or two has sorted it out.

I've always found the pump comfortable to use and easily capable of achieving high pressures. As with any pump the barrel dimensions make a difference to how much air you shift per stroke. On the road bike I use the largest, size 4. The tandem takes a size 3 which is a little harder work.

I heartily recommend the Zefal hpX classic to anyone looking for a frame fit pump.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

thirdcrank

Re: Zefal hpX classic frame fit pump

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Feb 2010, 4:42pm

+ 1 and I've had mine ages - it came from JD "Our stock is our gimmick" Whiskers in the 1980s.

I've had a couple of small problems with mine:-

Water accumulates inside the plastic handgrip.
With the pump in position in front oof the seat tube, the flared part of the handle rubs the seat tube and would eventually damage the paint. (I filed a bit of the handle and wrapped it in a bit of black tape to prevent that.)

Paul Smith SRCC

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 20 Feb 2010, 3:14pm

gaz wrote:.... heartily recommend the Zefal hpX classic to anyone looking for a frame fit pump.

Seconded, I wrote a similar review here and came to the same conclusion

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 21 Feb 2010, 11:24am

The little mounting "ears" sometimes break off; I've lost two in ten years or so. They are available as spares from SJSC, although it will cost you about £4 for one including postage.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2010, 7:48pm

Another vote for the Zefal HPX,I have these in three different sizes Nos 1,3,4 and can only praise for their durability and ability to deliver high pressure by the road side,Yep,a great pump,producing effortless wind :roll: .
-----------------------------------------------------------