Evans online sales

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
danfoto

Evans online sales

Post by danfoto »

Ordered and paid for a Park repair stand on the Evan website on the 15th (i.e. a fortnight ago tomorrow), at which time the item was showing as "in stock".

Emailed Customer Service last Thursday to ask when I might hope to get it. No reply. Phoned at 9am today, spoke to Chris, who said that I haven't got it because they are out of stock. When asked why the website was lying to me, I was told that "in stock" doesn't necessarily mean that there are any in stock i.e. in the warehouse ready to go (as might surely be expected), only that Evans has in theory got at least one of them in one of its shops. Somewhere.

Chris promised to look into getting one pulled in from a shop for me and phoning me back with an update. 3.30pm passes without the promised phone call, so I try again and speak to Giles, who basically says my choice is wait until they get some or have a refund. Apparently they should get some next week, and if I'm lucky I might get mine on or soon after the 12th July.

Oh I do hope I'm lucky. Then the item which was showing as "in stock" when I ordered and paid for it might be with me almost a month later.

Incidentally, one thing which was very noticeable and is really bloody annoying about this sorry state of affairs is that nowhere at any stage has anybody used the magic word "sorry" ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
mr bajokoses

Re: Evans online sales - not at all impressed

Post by mr bajokoses »

More or less identical experience when I ordered a Northwave jersey, on 16th May. Evans site showed "In Stock", I expected 1-5 days delivery typical of internet retailers. Several phone calls and emails were made, none of which received a satisfactory response, and the jersey turned up over a month later.

Very, very poor, and I will not be using Evans online again.

PS This was my second order with Evans online. The first was only part-delivered, and I had to phone to get the missing item sent. I wrongly decided to give them a second chance.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

By the way, if you really want that repair stand, you need to insist that they do not cancel your order, and locate and send the stand to you.

Several times, Evans kindly offered to cancel my order.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Oh, what a lucky person I am. I have just now (Tuesday) got a reply to the email I sent to Evans "customer service" only last Thursday.

We are still waiting for the stands to come back from one of our stores. This can take up to 14 working days to get back to us. Apologies for the delay.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us

Kind Regards

Tyrone
Evans Cycles

As Dougal said - pathetic :roll:
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

And by way of an update to this sorry state of affairs, having heard nothing from Messrs Evans, I just now phoned their customer service once again. After only 7 minutes on hold, I spoke to a chap called David, who did actually make the appropriate noises for a person employed in a CS capacity.

Basically he reckons that they have 28 of these stands on order but that their supplier has put back the delivery date to the 27th of this month. I suspect that he was telling the truth, but I'm now wondering if perhaps one factor coming into play is that their suppliers are as enamoured of dealing with Evans Cycles as I am.

Who knows. Ebay here I come ...
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I've now ordered a cheaper substitute from Wiggle which is in stock, I've cancelled my order with Evans, and I'll be damned if I shall ever order from that firm again.

Here endeth this little saga.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Well, it endeth except for the fact that I've now realised that they had the confounded cheek to debit my card on the day that I placed the order, despite having at that time neither stock nor a reliable due date into stock.

To me, that is a wholly unacceptable way of running a business. I guess I should be grateful that when I phoned "customer service" just now (having got no reply as yet to my email sent yesterday), I was on hold for less than 6 minutes and my request for an immediate refund was handled quite efficiently and politely ...
danfoto

Evan Mail Order - cont'd

Post by danfoto »

Just as a follow-up to this thread, I this morning got an invite from Evans to review the item they couldn't supply me with.
Obviously the least I could do was to complete it to the best of my ability ...

Last edited by danfoto on 20 Jul 2010, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

<threads on same subject merged - please take a minute to see if there is already a thread on your subject before starting a new one: having all of the info on a single subject in the same thread makes the information easier to digest for anyone wanting to know about a particular service or product>
Andy_M

Post by Andy_M »

I ordered 3 items from Evans about a month ago. After about 2 weeks only one item had turned up, I contacted them to query the delivery date of the other 2 items, and was informed that they had been posted a week ago, and I should check with my local post office. Two days later the items turned up, postmarked the day after I had contacted them. The customer service I received was a world away from Wiggle, EBC, CRC, or Spa cycles whom I have had many dealings with.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Why do firms tell porkies about things having been posted? Do they think we can't read postmarks or what? :roll:
Honestly admitting they hadn't sent it (and there might have been a good reason why not) but would do so immediately would be a far better damage limitation exercise than fibbing.
bettyboo24

Post by bettyboo24 »

Wow I had no idea so many people had similar experiences with Evans. It's really a shame because whenever I go into the shop in Nottingham the staff are so friendly and willing to help - they were great with choosing me some BMX gear the other day. But yeah I've had similar experiences online - that's definitely where the company lets themselves down.
ROBRIENMIKE

Re: Evans online sales

Post by ROBRIENMIKE »

I'm afraid this, " in stock/not in stock" syndrome and the porkies about delivery dates is quite common with internet buying.
I have had this with DVDs, garden tools and even, now...a bloody tea pot! Ordered in November,we are waiting for New Year absentee potters to turn up for work.
And, after Christmas 2009 and the promises of..."order now to guarentee delivery before 24th December" etc. I no longer buy christmas presents online after mid-October, if at all.

Mike.
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Last year i spent £1,200 on a custom BMX for my son and was emailed the next day that the parts
are in the post and will arrive shortly by UPS. One week later NOTHING so i contacted them and was told
that all my ordered parts where not in stock, yet on their website it was showing in stock and was told as
soon as they are in they will be posted out, four weeks later still NOTHING so i phoned them up and complained
and asked for a full refund, they said i can't have a refund but can have a 'credit note' i told them no way i want my
money back in full, i threatened them with the Police because they had removed all of the £1,200 knowing full well
that they had no stock and should have not taken the money out of my bank and this is theft !! I got my parts the very
next day and i recieved a letter saying sorry and please accept this voucher of £75.

Never will shop at Evans again.
irc

Post by irc »

Ordered a pair of shoes from Evans on 3rd Feb for delivery and pick up fro local store. Still waiting to be contacted and told they are ready. They were supposedly in stock. As it happens the delay doesn't matter. It is a discontinued model which I know to be a good fit so I was just buying them at 1/2 price to have ready for when I wear my current pair out.

But since I've not got either my shoes or any other contct from Evans explaining the delay, I won't be buying anything from them in the future.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?