Evans online sales

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
The Mechanic

Re: Evans online sales

Post by The Mechanic »

I am sorry to contradict other posts on here but I ordered some shoes from Evens week before last. Ther arrived within 3 days. They didn't fit so I sent them back for a refund and got a message the next day to say that they had arrive back and my card had been refunded. Service was as good as CRC or Wiggle on this occasion.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
quack

Post by quack »

I've had a similar experience with Evans regarding an "in stock" item not being supplied. Item ordered, in stock confirmed, "transaction successful". Then ...... Nothing. After ten days I had to contact them and had a reply that the item wasn't in stock, so perhaps I should choose a substitute item. Couldn't do that, as it was a specific branded accessory, and told them to cancel the order. A few hours later someone else replied to the first enquiry again, and said that their records said "waiting", so the item might turn up from a shop. Recommended I wait. Had to point out that I had already cancelled the order. Annoyingly I have already paid for the item via Paypal. Still waiting for refund. Motto: If you do order something from Evans, don't use paypal. Or stick to a reliable and efficient set-up like CRC, Merlin, or CycleSense.
Update: refund now made.
irc

Post by irc »

quack wrote:I've had a similar experience with Evans regarding an "in stock" item not being supplied. Item ordered, in stock confirmed, "transaction successful". Then ...... Nothing. After ten days I had to contact them and had a reply that the item wasn't in stock, so perhaps I should choose a substitute item. Couldn't do that, as it was a specific branded accessory, and told them to cancel the order. A few hours later someone else replied to the first enquiry again, and said that their records said "waiting", so the item might turn up from a shop. Recommended I wait. Had to point out that I had already cancelled the order. Annoyingly I have already paid for the item via Paypal. Still waiting for refund. Motto: If you do order something from Evans, don't use paypal. Or stick to a reliable and efficient set-up like CRC, Merlin, or CycleSense.
Update: refund now made.

My shoes I ordered which were shown as in stock never turned up. Evans refunded my cash no problem but I had to chase them up after the shoes didn't appear. I'm not going to order anything else from them if they can't sort out their website.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
Justin

Post by Justin »

I also had a bad experience with an online purchase from Evans Cycles. Appaling service and a company that's best avoided IMHO.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I have used Evans on-line several times & rather boringly I am afraid to admit they have been very good.

Three bikes have been purchased via online sales over a period of a couple of years, nothing extravagant - all sub 500 quid & all arrived within a few days of ordering. A variety of other accessories & components (saddle/pedals/chainset/tyres etc) have similarly been dealt with efficiently.

I even tried their 'pricematch' guarantee on a set of Schwalbe tyres which I saw for about half price elsewhere. They matched the price no problem. I then asked myself why I hadn't just bought the tyres from the original vendors site - I think once you get good service from one retailer then you tend to stick with them, not out of any loyalty as such, just purely out of familiarity.

I would honestly prefer to support my LBS, & even wouldn't mind paying a few extra quid for the service, however, they can be a miserable bunch at times & while spending 7 months each year at sea, I don't do miserable on my time off. Admittedly, it must be tough to survive nowadays as a small time retailer.
stephen

Post by stephen »

I've used them a couple of times and had no problems. Recently I need a new octalink bottom bracket which they delivered in 6 days and £15 cheaper than RRP. Old stock I suspect but they could have charger the current price.

Like the previous post I would like to use my LBS but when my fork fractured they spent 2 weeks to tell me no replacement was available whereas I found one in 30 minutes online (from EBS)

Stephen
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Ordered two in stock items last Sunday, needed for a short tour in the middle of next week. One item not available from any other retailer, and the other ordered from same to save on postage.

Not a word until a text last night advising they would be delivered today. Then a text at 9AM saying HDNL would deliver between 12 and 3. Should have known better than to wait in all day. No delivery.

Tracking shows items on van at 7AM and back at depot at 3PM. No explanation; no contact number; no card left. I can only rebook delivery for Monday and wait in all day again, reasonably secure in the knowledge that HDNL will take the package for another mystery tour of Leeds without darkening my doorstep.

The last time I had an HDNL delivery it took me two weeks to persuade them to let me come to the depot to collect. I found their depot almost as difficult to find and access as my flat obviously was to them. Then I couldn't collect the items without the card that hadn't been left. I fear this will become the same sorry fiasco.

If I had known Evans were using HDNL, who have rightly earned a reputation as the worst couriers in Christendom, I would have volunteered to collect from their warehouse. Even if it was 100 miles away. And I was collecting four bikes. And I was in a wheelchair. And bringing them home on the bus. And it was snowing. Nothing, in my experience, can match the challenge of getting a parcel delivered by HDNL.

Evans and HDNL are a marriage made in hell and they deserve each other.
Last edited by Malaconotus on 25 Jun 2011, 7:35am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Malaconotus

I'd never heard of HDNL before but I see their depot is close at hand. Would you like me to bob round and and duff them up? At the very least, I could stand outside and put my tongue out at them. :wink:
stephen

Post by stephen »

OK, despite Shimano's excessively large box my item was still small enough to be delivered by post.

Stephen
Chris Jeggo

Re: Evans online sales - no longer fit for purpose

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Do not buy from Evans Cycles; their online purchasing systems are no longer fit for purpose.
I have bought many things from Evans over many years, so when I needed a replacement bottom bracket and Evans was the only online shop (out of at least half a dozen) not showing the item as "out of stock", I did not hesitate to order.
Two days after receiving the order confirmation email I received a second: "Unfortunately the items listed below are no longer in stock. You will not be charged for any of these items As a result we have had to cancel these items from your order and any pending reservations will be released back into your account within 2 - 5 working days."
A week later my PayPal account still showed £24.99 reserved to Evans pending order completion. This was £25 of my money I was unable to spend.
I emailed Evans again; their two replies said: (1) "We do not take payments for orders until the order has been dispatched. Until then, the funds sit as pending with your bank until we request the funds. As the order has been cancelled, this is now down to your bank to release the funds back. If they have not been released back, please contact your bank.", and (2) "The order has been cancelled in full for you. ​It is now down to PayPal to refund the funds. As you can see from the email we sent, the order has been cancelled and is proof that the order has been cancelled."
I contacted PayPal, who said they could not consider cancelling a reservation until at least 30 days had passed. It was down to the merchant to cancel the reservation.
That seems entirely reasonable to me; a reservation is an arrangement between the merchant and PayPal to which I am not a party. Only Evans can cancel it.
I emailed Evans yet again. They replied: "I have just spoken with my senior advisor and we have put the cancellation request through again for you. This means the reservation should be cancelled and the funds should be released back in your account within 7 working days."
Two weeks later Evans emailed this: "Thank you for getting in touch. We have now closed this matter. If you feel your query isn't resolved yet, please reply to this email and we will get back to you."
I checked my PayPal account: there was still £25 of my own money I could not spend, so I replied to Evans to say that the matter was not closed until they had cancelled their reservation, and I contacted PayPal again.
Their representative replied: "I perfectly understand that you wanted to cancel the transaction you have with EVANS CYCLES LIMITED and upon checking,since it was still under a pending authorization, they are the only one who has an access to cancel it for we only have an option to cancel it after at least 30 days. For your convenience, I will be the one to send a notification to the account manager of the merchant for them to cancel the authorization on their end. For the cancellation of this, I don't want to provide any guarantee when it will get cancelled for we don't have any control about their cancellation process."
That seems to have done the trick. The reservation disappeared from my PayPal account one 31-day month after the original order, a period which included a good few hours of hassle I did not need, and at the end of it I still needed a bottom bracket.
Evans Cycles haven’t a clue how to run an online business. Just look at their reviews on Trustpilot. I shall not be using them again.