SKS Germany Mudguard Fitting Instructions

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Deako

Re: SKS Germany Mudguard Fitting Instructions

Post by Deako »

There's a sale on at Wiggle for these at mo. Fitted a set on my girl friend's bike this morning.

I read this post before installing and decided to ignore the instructions that came with the kit. I haven't fitted guards from new previously. It was a little awkward in places, had to remove back wheel to be able to secure the supplied brake bridge mount to the guard. Still need to trim the stays though.

I've read the instructions since and as others have mentioned they probably relate to an older kit. My GF is fluent in German, I'll get her to translate the German instructions and see if they're any better.

Greg
willcee

Post by willcee »

reading the varied contris i have laughed to myself and i agree that the instructions should be taken with a pinch or 2 of salt.. fitted full guards in 45 mins ?? i would suggest not fitted, just hung on the frame.. to fit ''proper guards'' takes a bit longer, by properly i mean, ensuring that they are even or equidistant all the way around the wheel, taking time to set the stay angles and the bridge supports that they wouldn't rattle or remove paint which they inevitably do, rubber washers underneath the frame securing stay bolts.. and don't forget a rubber or leather gasket between the rear guard and the chainstay bridge, this guard which usually has to be trimmed at the sides to locate neatly without rubbing between the stays.. i work with bikes, more than most, and without denigrating anyones labours, it takes me 45 mins to fit racebike mk 2 crud guards correctly .. will :wink:
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Ok,call it an hour then :)
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

There is a handy YouTube video of how to fit them, a search for mudguard fittngs should bring it up.
mercianmikeambler

Post by mercianmikeambler »

Bought a set of SKS chromoplastic mudguards for my touring bike. I can deal with most repairs on my bicycle but after an hour trying to fit these infernal mudguards I rang the bike shop who agreed to fit them for £10. Well I couldn't get there fast enough. In anticipation of spending the best part of a day trying to fit these mudguards and ending up fitting them badly, and scratched, I would have paid the bike shop £30 to fit them for me. SKS mudguards should come with a stress warning (and a parts list!) Mercian rider
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Fitting SKS mudguards (perhaps any mudguards) needs patience and time. The supplied diagrams indicate how the parts fit, but you do need to study these for detail and work out how they assemble before you start. All bikes are different and this can affect how easy it is to replace mudguards. It would be impossible to give exact instructions and SKS do provide more than enough sizes of bolts etc.

Bolt cutters can be used to quickly and cleanly remove any excess length of the wire stays. I bought mine through Amazon for about £10. On the rear guard the chain stay fixing is the least adjustable and I fix this first. You will probably need to remove the rear wheel to make this easier, but then you can replace the wheel and start on the other fixings; seat stay next and finally the wire stays. You need to assemble these parts with the nuts hand tight so you can gauge the length of the stays and cut off the excess length. Then reassemble and adjust the mudguard position along the stays so that it is suitably spaced from the tyre and central. Next have a cup of tea!!

The front one should be easier; bolt the fork stay first then fix the wire ones. Then have another cup of tea!!

SKS mudguards appear very good quality and look good - it's just the fitting that is awkward.

Allow plenty of time and make sure you are warm and comfortable and there aren't other stresses around!!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

A thread elsewhere about SKS guards reminded me to post this compliment.

Last Sunday I had a thumping great stick get caught in my front chromoplastic SKS guard. In a second this fouled up the whole works, with the safety fixings both deploying. For that split second it was all quite dramatic. The mudguard and stays were all bent about and very deformed, but after bending everything back there is no evidence whatsoever of this impact. On previous bikes and different/cheaper guards, similar - but to be honest less significant incidents have left mudguards cracked and/or showing stress marks.

Credit to SKS guards. Very impressed.