POOR BIKE SHOP SERVICE

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
markis42

POOR BIKE SHOP SERVICE

Post by markis42 »

I VISITED MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP IN BROMSGROVE YESTERDAY POSSIBLY FOR THE LAST TIME.
THE PERSON THAT WHO SERVED ME WAS VERY RUDE AND ARROGANT.
I ASKED FOR SOME SPOKES TO RE-LACE MY FRONT WHEEL AND WAS MET WITH VIRTUALY NO HELP AT ALL.DO YOU WANT US TO BUILD THE WHEEL? I WAS ASKED,NO THANKS BEING DONE BY A FRIEND.
IT WOULD APPEAR THAT HE DID NOT LIKE THIS AND FROM THEN ON WAS THE MOST AWKWARD PRATT I HAVE DELT WITH FOR MANY A YEAR.
WHATS WRONG WITH HIM? I ONLY WANTED TO SPEND MY MONEY AND GET SOME ADVICE.
IT SEEMS ONLY PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR SERVICES GET GOOD MANNERS IN RETURN.
I HOPE YOU READ THIS ALONG WITH YOUR BOSS.
LONG LIVE THE INTERNET!
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

First of all, I'm sorry you met with such a reaction. Surely it's better to have some business, i.e. selling some spokes, than none at all.

However, using capitals suggests shouting and we are not the ones you should be shouting at.

If you feel so strongly, name the offending shop so that others may avoid it, if they so choose.

There is indeed a great power on the internet, but only if you name and shame, otherwise we have to guess who the offending place is.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One of the most awkward people I have ever come across in a bike shop (and I have met a few) was the now retired owner of an eponymous shop mentioned not a million miles away. Typical example. Circa 1980 I needed a frame fitting pump for a 22 1/2" frame. I arrived at the shop in a firm's van.

Thirdcrank "I need a frame fitting pump for a 22 1/2" frame, please."
Obstructive cycling retailer "That could be difficult, they come in sizes 1,2,3 and 4."
TC "Isn't there any way of knowing what they fit?"
OCR "No. The're Italian and they measure frames in centimetres."
TC "Could you please try one on a 22 1/2" frame?
OCR. "The problem is we need a 22 1/2" frame."
(Ed: In that era 22 1/2" was a common size, probably a dozen in the shop. The OCR in question was so experienced in the building of bike frames he could have identified one behind his back and blindfold.)
TC (By now getting frantic) "Would it be possible to measure a frame? That one looks about right." (Points to 22 1/2" frame)
OCR (gets tape and laboriously measures every 19 1/2" and 25 1/2" frame in shop) "You might be unlucky."
TC (pointing again to a 22 1/2" frame) "I'll take one that fits that frame, please."
OCR "I'll check if we have any................" Exit into storeroom.
markis42

POOR BIKE SHOP SERVICE

Post by markis42 »

TURNS OUT HE WAS THE BOSS!
WHEN I REFERED TO THE INTERNET IT WAS NOT TO NAME BUT TO OBTAIN.
IE THE PARCELS COME TO MY DOOR WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CONTACT WITH A PERSON AS SUCH.
BY THE WAY THERE IS ONLY ONE BIKE SHOP IN BROMSGROVE.
ThomasDylan

Re: POOR BIKE SHOP SERVICE

Post by ThomasDylan »

markis42 wrote:TURNS OUT HE WAS THE BOSS!
WHEN I REFERED TO THE INTERNET IT WAS NOT TO NAME BUT TO OBTAIN.
IE THE PARCELS COME TO MY DOOR WITHOUT THE NEED FOR CONTACT WITH A PERSON AS SUCH.
BY THE WAY THERE IS ONLY ONE BIKE SHOP IN BROMSGROVE.

WE DON'T KNOW THAT DO WE?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

markis42

At least you got to speak to the boss. He didn't just hide behind a spokesman. :wink:
vernon

Post by vernon »

thirdcrank wrote:One of the most awkward people I have ever come across in a bike shop (and I have met a few) was the now retired owner of an eponymous shop mentioned not a million miles away. Typical example. Circa 1980 I needed a frame fitting pump for a 22 1/2" frame. I arrived at the shop in a firm's van.

Thirdcrank "I need a frame fitting pump for a 22 1/2" frame, please."
Obstructive cycling retailer "That could be difficult, they come in sizes 1,2,3 and 4."
TC "Isn't there any way of knowing what they fit?"
OCR "No. The're Italian and they measure frames in centimetres."
TC "Could you please try one on a 22 1/2" frame?
OCR. "The problem is we need a 22 1/2" frame."
(Ed: In that era 22 1/2" was a common size, probably a dozen in the shop. The OCR in question was so experienced in the building of bike frames he could have identified one behind his back and blindfold.)
TC (By now getting frantic) "Would it be possible to measure a frame? That one looks about right." (Points to 22 1/2" frame)
OCR (gets tape and laboriously measures every 19 1/2" and 25 1/2" frame in shop) "You might be unlucky."
TC (pointing again to a 22 1/2" frame) "I'll take one that fits that frame, please."
OCR "I'll check if we have any................" Exit into storeroom.

Never met the oldest of the three generations connected to the shop. The two yougest generations are a pleasure to deal with and show interest in my cycling exploits....

The counterstaff in a hardware store in Thornhill in Scotland were the most obstructive that i've encountered in recent times. I had to declare my intended use of the methylated spirits that I wanted to buy for my Trangia. They wouldn't let me have it with out being wrapped in a brown paper bag and I had to sign a poisons register before they's hand it over. It was a bizarre experience - the shop was a blast from the past with fittings unchanged from the forties/fifties.
Jac

Post by Jac »

I've had to sign the poison register in Boots when buying meths - I think it is the law.
It is bizarre - in Europe it is sold as window cleaner on supermarket shelves.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

vernon wrote:"never met the oldest of the three generations connected to the shop. The two yougest generations are a pleasure to deal with and show interest in my cycling exploits....

You're there in one. It's got me thinking. Have you noticed how cyclist customers and staff seem to shout to each other in some friendly bike shops when they're telling the tale? It's as though they are trying to get the message across out on the road.

Also, it is not necessarily 'Like father, like son' in bike shops. A very well-known retired cycle shop proprietor from Bradford, was one of the most perceptive and helpful people I have ever met and an excellent wheel builder into the bargain. He emigrated to Canada and may well be dead as he would be 92 by now.
vernon

Post by vernon »

thirdcrank wrote:You're there in one. It's got me thinking. Have you noticed how cyclist customers and staff seem to shout to each other in some friendly bike shops when they're telling the tale? It's as though they are trying to get the message across out on the road.

I CAN'T SAY THAT I'VE NOTICED THAT PHENOMENON. :lol:
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

vernon wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:You're there in one. It's got me thinking. Have you noticed how cyclist customers and staff seem to shout to each other in some friendly bike shops when they're telling the tale? It's as though they are trying to get the message across out on the road.

I CAN'T SAY THAT I'VE NOTICED THAT PHENOMENON. :lol:

Eh, pardon?!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thirdcrank -

I don't think that Johnny Mapplebeck is quite as old as you seem to think, but he's still alive and riding - a couple who are friends of mine keep in touch with him.

What a man he most certainly was when he was in business in Bradford - he built all my frames whilst he was building.

There will never be another - decent and honest as the day is long.

JohnW
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Markis, I know the chap you mean and I think he means well, and was probably offering you a service when he asked you if you wanted the wheel rebuilt.
This is the quiet season for bicycle shops and as he has only recently bought the shop he may have been a bit too eager to increase the value of the sale to try and make ends meet rather than just sell you the spokes.
I suggest you give him another chance to be of service to you.
He really is a nice chap.
Failing that you could always try Michael's Cycles in Redditch or Roy's Bikes in Studley. I have bought single spokes from Micheal before for a few pence and Roy builds some amazing wheels I have never seen elsewhere with the spokes wrapped/twisted around each other in a special pattern if required.
You will be very welcome to join our Club by the way, too ! www.bromsgrovecycling.cc
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

JohnW

Glad to hear Johhny Mapp is still on the go. I was basing my calculation on something he said to me once which led me to believe he was the same age as my dad, born in 1915. In any case, one of nature's gentlemen and one of cycling's finest.
andwags

SHOUTING

Post by andwags »

DO YOU THINK THOMASDYLAN HATES WRITING IN CAPITALS? YOU SAID YOUR PIECE, NO NEED TO REPEAT YOURSELF!