Good bike shop service

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Jac

Good bike shop service

Post by Jac »

Went into my local (well not very local but worth the extra distance) bike shop yesterday to buy spare inner tubes for 3 different size wheels.
First, all the makes that he kept brought down from the shelf with pros and cons, an explaination of the sizes, then catalogues and an offer to order any others if I would prefer. Even a small set of scales were fetched to weigh which was the lightest.
An unhurried chat about other goodies in the cabinets.
A cup of tea as well - and %10 discount.
Exclusively Bikes just outside Peterborough - always excellent service :D
saskiamelias

Wharf Cycles - Canary Wharf

Post by saskiamelias »

I was recently given a bike from Wharf Cycles, a shop by South Quay DLR station on Canary Wharf. A bit off the beaten track for me and also hard to find as the area is so urban and under continuous construction. But it was worth finding not just for my free bike service (a freebie when the bike was purchased), but for the friendly and helpful staff.

both staff chatted away and advised me on the best place to look for insurance and which locks to buy to replace my broken lock. I had been told that if I dropped my bike in on a Friday it would not be ready until Monday. But when I dropped it off the man said he'd have it ready for me on Saturday morning.

When I came back for the bike he had given me a new inner tube for free as I'd had a slow puncture.
gaterz1981

Post by gaterz1981 »

I always use a place called Bicyclechain, they are the sponsers of somerset road club so 10% off.

My friends trek that got smashed into was taken in at their shop and they did all the chasing for the claim.

Trouble is everyone is sooo helpful there that i always end up spending to much. :roll:
JT

Re: Good bike shop service

Post by JT »

Jac wrote:Went into my local (well not very local but worth the extra distance) bike shop yesterday to buy spare inner tubes for 3 different size wheels.
First, all the makes that he kept brought down from the shelf with pros and cons, an explaination of the sizes, then catalogues and an offer to order any others if I would prefer. Even a small set of scales were fetched to weigh which was the lightest.
An unhurried chat about other goodies in the cabinets.
A cup of tea as well - and %10 discount.
Exclusively Bikes just outside Peterborough - always excellent service :D

Sometimes Sam at Exclusively Bikes offers too much good service. I often pop in during my lunch hour as I work nearby and every time I do, I'm always late back to the office as we've been chatting too long.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Hi JT - Yes he does like a chat ( I usually reckon on an afternoon) - but you can't complain about the service :lol:
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

That is a good thing in my book, a personal service that is seldom seen in the high street, you will not get that in PC world :)

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Jac wrote:Hi JT - Yes he does like a chat ( I usually reckon on an afternoon) - but you can't complain about the service :lol:
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote: you will not get that in PC world

I was in PC World this afty and they had no puncture outfits or Schwalbe Mara... They had no flat bed scanners either.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Sam at Exclusively Bikes is a Great Chap.
The best shop in Peterborough by far !
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

On Tuesday 3rd April 07, I made my first online purchase from bikeplus. I ordered a pair of Ortlieb Roller Classic panniers. They arrived this morning. Excellent service and I look forward to making more purchases in the future.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

For anyone in the area, have you tried Spen Velo, in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire?

Always patient and helpful, friendly and offers advice from the cyclist's point of view, being a cyclist himself, and son of a cyclist (his father is a PBP man, and rides with the Halifax section of the CTC) - good credentials, eh?

Builds good wheels!

JohnW.