Cycling plus magazine

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
cycleforlife

Cycling plus magazine

Post by cycleforlife »

I have a subscription with Cycling Plus magazine which has just had a revamp. The latest issue (July) dropped through the door with a heavy clunk. 113 pages of full adverts and the usual bike test on etap/sportive type bikes with just a nod towards the rest of the cycling world. A friend wondered why Roger St Pierre's writings on cycling's history had vanished and found out "Retro has run It's course" according to C plus. (It reviews retro jerseys on page 151)
There is a very large part of the cycling world not geared up to sportive/etap, thousands of pound machines so I hope CTCs cycle magazine doesn't forget tourist, audax and the rest of the cycling world that doesn't need a feather light carbon frame for Tour de France wannabes.
I'll have to see if I keep a subscription up on Cycling plus at £4.50 shop price for a magazine full of adverts. The new magazine,Cycling Active may need looking into. I do (used to) like my cycling magazines.
hubgearfreak

Re: Cycling plus magazine

Post by hubgearfreak »

we discussed magazines before, and i went off on a rant :lol:

whether you buy C+ in whs or online, it's a lot of money that could buy OS maps - which are a far better read 8)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45271
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

I've subscribed to it for years and take the rough with the smooth - some issues are better (for me) than others. I'm hoping this latest issue is a blip - its their 250th issue - and, I agree, there's not a lot in there for 'the rest of the cycling world'. My biggest disappointment is the routes seem to have dropped from 3 to 1 - this was my favourite part and I've ridden a good few of those featured in the past. At least they've dropped the ridiculous buyers guide/list of every bike made (which it wasn't).
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I subscribe to this mag. I must admit that I am in two minds about the new layout. Last time they revamped the mag I complained that I could not read the very thin and dim fonts they changed to. In the new mag is it the same. I need lots of light in order to be able to read it. I stopped my sub to Cycling Weakly becasue it was getting to be an advertising fest instead of an informative mag and I could read all the content on Cycling News or the BC website.

I too like the rides section, sadly now reduced.

Edit: Cycle magazine is a waste of space in MHO. I have been a CTC member for just over a year now and almost evey copy I have received has been full of MTB articles and MTB bike reviews. Is this something to do with the charity issue. I think we should be told.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Yes I used to subscribe to C+,mainly 'cos you got a free jersey if you did,still got it, not bad quality.

As for the mag,as has been said there is little in it if you are not whippet thin and have a couple of grand to spend on a bike and dress in Assos to ride it.

Plus,as in many "sporty" mags there is only so much you can say before repetition sets in.I do a bit of running and running mags are the same,there is only so much to be said regarding putting one foot in front of the other.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I pretty much fully agree with the OP. On balance I've always enjoyed C+, and I think I'll continue to buy it, but C+ seems increasingly focussed on "road" riding (as in Sportive, Race, Personal Fitness), rather than "road" riding as in all that, as well as riding for leisure, a bit of fitness (without a stopwatch or HRM), exploring and enjoying the countryside. That's me! :wink:. The latest issue does review tourer's, but one cannot help get the impression that it is all rather apologetic - and you don't really want one of these.... :lol:

The reduction of rides features (which often referred to touring type points of interest) is a shame.

I think it is also a real shame that Roger St Pierre has been dropped. His editorial observations were of consistent interest and quality.

If only someone could tap into the niche as indicated above, - which is possibly a fair number of CTC members? CTC mag is good enough, and if only Cycling World could grow.... that could be a good read. Both of these come across as genuine publications rather than having editorial largely sponsored by advertisers.

I know the fitness thing is "in" and I'm delighted that many (more) people are apparently addressing fitness through riding a bike, but I do find the preoccupation with many magazines with "how to get fit..." articles a bit wearing. Market forces I suppose, so I guess I'm wrong?.... :roll:
linian

Post by linian »

I have been buying Cycling Plus for quite some time but this month I feel cheated, I have paid good money for what is in effect a bike catalogue, I feel conned, not a happy bunny.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Sadly cycling plus seems to have gone down the route of most other mainstream cycling mags , just catering for the sportive/racing/ tour de france wannabee , totally ignoring the rest of the cycling population . The best magazine by far ? Audax Uk members only magazine ' Arrivee '. Lots of inspirational reading and lots of useful hints and tips . If long distance cycling is not your bag there's still loads of interesting cycle touring articles.
hondated

Post by hondated »

loch eck steve wrote:Sadly cycling plus seems to have gone down the route of most other mainstream cycling mags , just catering for the sportive/racing/ tour de france wannabee , totally ignoring the rest of the cycling population . The best magazine by far ? Audax Uk members only magazine ' Arrivee '. Lots of inspirational reading and lots of useful hints and tips . If long distance cycling is not your bag there's still loads of interesting cycle touring articles.

You might have saved me some money there LES as i have been a Procycling subscriber for a few years now and whilst I love reading about the races and devouring photographs of bikes that now cost more than my motorbike I think my money could be better spent on joining the Audux club and receiving their magazine.
Probable will not ever happen but I could even participate in an Audux as well.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

loch eck steve wrote:Sadly cycling plus seems to have gone down the route of most other mainstream cycling mags , just catering for the sportive/racing/ tour de france wannabee , totally ignoring the rest of the cycling population . The best magazine by far ? Audax Uk members only magazine ' Arrivee '. Lots of inspirational reading and lots of useful hints and tips . If long distance cycling is not your bag there's still loads of interesting cycle touring articles.

Interesting - there are back issues on line for reading and they look as good as you say!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cycling Weekly has also had a revamp ... No honk and the same layout as Time news mag.... Sterile and ? ... Sterile .... lacking in anything special .... I'm sure Dr hutch will be next to go ... Another 2 pages of ads ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

+1 for Arrivee the last copy was very good. It too has had a revamp and looks very good. Rouleur is expensive but a good read and looks at the road racing scene and the history of the sport from a slightly more oblique angle than most magazines and without the repetition of some many of the other mags. The "occasional" Simpson magazine seems similar but with less high end bike reviews.But it doesn't seem to have a regular publishing schedule and has been stuck on issue 12 for some months now.The website remains up to date so i assume that issue 13 will appear in due course.
hondated

Post by hondated »

The Mechanic wrote:I subscribe to this mag. I must admit that I am in two minds about the new layout. Last time they revamped the mag I complained that I could not read the very thin and dim fonts they changed to. In the new mag is it the same. I need lots of light in order to be able to read it. I stopped my sub to Cycling Weakly becasue it was getting to be an advertising fest instead of an informative mag and I could read all the content on Cycling News or the BC website.

I too like the rides section, sadly now reduced.

Edit: Cycle magazine is a waste of space in MHO. I have been a CTC member for just over a year now and almost evey copy I have received has been full of MTB articles and MTB bike reviews. Is this something to do with the charity issue. I think we should be told.

One of the reasons I never renewed my subscription.
hondated

Post by hondated »

The club should hire you as its PR officer as I have just joined the club. As I said I doubt whether I will ever do an Audux but I can settle for four magazines a year for £19. Perhaps more importantly it will also contribute to ensuring the clubs existence.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The Mechanic wrote:Edit: Cycle magazine is a waste of space in MHO. I have been a CTC member for just over a year now and almost evey copy I have received has been full of MTB articles and MTB bike reviews. Is this something to do with the charity issue. I think we should be told.

They must send me a different version of Cycle. :shock:

There seems to be very little MTB stuff in the ones I get! February/March edition did have the Tour de Mont Blanc on MTBs but they were appropriate for that sort of trip.

A quick look through the last 12 months or so suggests (my impression from a 10 minute flick through rather than a detailed analysis) a recent emphasis on the "gravel" /"all road" genre of bikes with the occasional unicycle, tandem, folder, e-bike, etc thrown into the mix for good measure.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.