Rapha Touring Shorts

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
steady eddy

Rapha Touring Shorts

Post by steady eddy »

Described as baggies for roadies these have to be the answer for those who dont want to wear figure hugging lycra. Having convinced myself they were worth the full £70 price tag, I was overjoyed to purchase a pair in their sale for £40. The quality is excellent,no loose threads or dodgy stitching, the attention to detail second to none. They have obviously been designed by somebody who rides a bike and for this usually sartorially challanged cyclist the fit and style brought praise from my wife. Even at the full price I would have been pleased with these.

I know on other forums Rapha is sneered at as the clothing choice of fixie riding bankers with more money thasn sense. We don't do more money than sense in Norfolk, but I am going back for one of those Paul Smith t shirts with the tour climbs print pattern before they sell out, if only I could decide which colour to have.

Their race team are preety good too!
georgew

Re: Rapha Touring Shorts

Post by georgew »

It's best to note that these are designed to be worn over Bib shorts as opposed to other touring shorts which usually have a built-in pad.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have ordered a pair. for a change, they had my size.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

I use them all the time over bib shorts. I've had them for at least 2 years. They are incredibly hard wearing and fit really well. There is a little inside pocket for keys, but nothing else. I really like them and consider the £70 money well spent, and I see no evidence to suggest I won't be able to use them for many years to come.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Not impressed with Rapha's mail order set up. I ordered some touring shorts on Friday and they are still showing as "awaiting dispatch" today (Wednesday) so they have not even been posted yet. I have emailed them this morning to find out why there is such a delay. I know we have to deal with the vagiaries of snail mail but not even posting orders is not on.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

I noticed this evening they were a sale item, so maybe they are out-of-stock and took your order by mistake. Sorry for doom-mongering! Also they don't have any long sleeved jerseys, which I really like and was tempted to get another one, and no longer have bonk bags available. I haven't bought anything from them for a while, but their site seems to cater a lot more for more fashionable city styling than it used too.

I get most of my cycling kit from my local bicycle shop these days, which usually means Mavic, which I quite like!
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I emailed Rapha yesterday asking why my order was still awaiting dispatch and got a reply back in the afternoon to say that my order had been dispatched. No direct reply to my email, just the usual dispatch notification. There was a Snail mail tracking number but it turns out this is only of any use after the item has been delivered. Useful for them, no use for me. So it is back to the waiting game. I was hoping to try them out in the Trossachs this weekend but looks like it will have to be next week. I am off to ride the Dukes Pass and Loch Katrine tomorrow .
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Have fun! I'm doing Box Hill, Kidd's Hill, Toy's Hill and Titsey Hill on Saturday..!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

steady eddy wrote:Described as baggies for roadies these have to be the answer for those who dont want to wear figure hugging lycra. Having convinced myself they were worth the full £70 price tag, I was overjoyed to purchase a pair in their sale for £40. The quality is excellent,no loose threads or dodgy stitching, the attention to detail second to none. They have obviously been designed by somebody who rides a bike and for this usually sartorially challanged cyclist the fit and style brought praise from my wife. Even at the full price I would have been pleased with these.

I know on other forums Rapha is sneered at as the clothing choice of fixie riding bankers with more money thasn sense. We don't do more money than sense in Norfolk, but I am going back for one of those Paul Smith t shirts with the tour climbs print pattern before they sell out, if only I could decide which colour to have.

Their race team are preety good too!

Can you tell me what size you got and the width of your waist in inches.
Thanks
jonty
rouleur gentil

Post by rouleur gentil »

I generally really like Rapha stuff, but I didn't like these and sold them on eBay. I found they rode around (ha!) while pedalling and weren't comfortable without a liner. And I couldn't see the point of wearing shorts over another pair of shorts.

Like all Rapha stuff they were very well made, though, and the cut is good.
cycle_tourer

Post by cycle_tourer »

I bought some of these shorts a year or so ago in a sale and agree that they are great. Before owning these I would take some baggies with me on tour, such as Endura Humvees. But these are cut better, weigh less, pack down smaller and dry quicker. I also have one of their l/s winter jerseys which has been great over the years.
kilroya

Post by kilroya »

Just got a pair in the post this morning. Superb. Very light, great cut and doesn't have forty cargo pockets for grenades and bullet magazines thank God. :D
Minimalist but nice.