Bob Jackson

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
fivebikes

Bob Jackson

Post by fivebikes »

Just heard the disappointing news that the Bob Jackson retail shop has closed. Always found the staff there very helpful. Framebuilding and renovations continue though so I hope the name carries on into the future. Just spent two weeks in France on my 631 'World Tour'. First proper outing and rode like a dream.
York Commuter

Re: Bob Jackson

Post by York Commuter »

I'm also upset to read this.

It does lok as though they want to make a go of the frame making and restoration side of things.

On the three occassions I have taken frames there I have always been very pleased with their work.

I wish them well in their altered business.
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
HebdenBiker

Post by HebdenBiker »

Due to the current popularity of steel bikes, I think they're doing so well with their framebuilding business that they've decided to ditch the retail side to concentrate on this. Bob Jackson frames have a cult following in the USA and it's great to think this British business is in demand at home and overseas. They did a superb job of renovating my old steel frame, and the work came in at below their estimate and weeks earlier than they said. They are good guys.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Had my bike respreayed by them a couple of years ago and a few extra braze-ons added too.
The work was exemplary but came out way above what was expected, price-wise.
Despite several phone calls, they couldn't explain why the cost was so high, apart from suggesting that they had to pay an awful lot for replica transfers (which I hadn't specified).
The sad part was that they refused to supply an itemised invoice, so I was unable to check.

The only thing that let's the bike down is that their own sticker has lost all print and is now just a white blob. :roll:
ebandflo

Post by ebandflo »

I have just taken delivery of a Bob Jackson Vulcan frame. It was delivered ahead of time, exactly to my specifications, with curly stays and hand cut lugs. The paint finish is faultless, and the quality of the frame just superb. Communication was good. Frankly I couldn't have asked for more.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I bought a Club Audax frame & forks, and a pair of hand-built wheels and they are great. The guys were very helpful in measuring up and component selection, phoned me when it was all ready, and e-mailed photos of similar builds to help me when I got a bit stuck. Fantastic.
timbo19

Post by timbo19 »

Had a World Tour frame built for me 18 months ago, handles like a dream. I'd forgotten just what a quality 651 tubed frame felt like after having ridden on far-eastern made aluminium bikes over the last few years! Long live steel frames and Bob Jackson, I've always found them helpful, particularly ordering my frame online. :)
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Bumpity bump.

Contemplating an Olympus. Anyone bought from them recently?
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I have a 12 month old Pilgrim Whitedown Audax bike which uses a frame made by Bob Jackson to Pilgrim's spec. It is beautifully finished and a joy to ride.