Allen Keys

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Allen Keys

Post by Mick F »

I've been trying to get some long Allen keys for some time. 'Normal' ones tend to be too short, and it's difficult to get a bit of torque with them, especially on chainring bolts or crank bolts with them.

I eventually found just what I was looking for. And even better, they were 'Ball Ended' and chromed! And they were long! They're made by Laser, and cost £6 odd from a local discount store. (Trago Mills) They're in 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 mm and are fitted in a handle that can be used as a Tee Bar.

Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

Good one Mick. I shall be along to Trago sharpish. I've been looking for years for, I think, a 6mm for all the handlebar turning we do when bikes go in and out of the shed. I use an extender on one but Draper do a lovely long, padded handled one but this goes no lower than I think 8mm (cranks??). In the end I decided that there must be a logical reason for this in that too long a handle would give too much torque on a small allen nut but the person who decided this had obviously never had a quill stem.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Nice find! I suspect that a visit to the Glyn Valley is required ... :wink:

Edited to add: I went to Trago yesterday and couldn't find the allen keys Mick bought. However, I did find an even cheaper set (about four quid) by "Rapier" of long allen keys with ball ends.

In addition, I bought a pair of Rolson cable cutters for (IIRC) £2.45. These trimmed my wire-cored washing line very easily (I'd given up on side-cutters and a hacksaw previously) and seem robust enough to trim gear and brake cables.

HTH,

Geoff
Last edited by GeoffL on 8 Jul 2007, 9:06am, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's a 7mm or 8mm brake pad key so the sizes don't go any lower. Shame.

ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Kennedy make some good long ball ended Allen Keys, I've used them for years.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've got a set similar to MickF's made by Elkind (i think)they're American and very good quality too :)
PW

Post by PW »

I cheat. :oops: In the shed there's a sawn off bit of seatstay which works nicely as an allen key extension. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would cheat too! Sometimes with ring spanner and sometimes with mole grips. Long allen keys are best though ....
Mick F. Cornwall
lenton4sa

Post by lenton4sa »

Try 'Screwfix' at Yeovil. They are good for all types of tools, fairly cheap as well, only disadvantage is the postage.