Four recent reads

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
samsbike

Four recent reads

Post by samsbike »

Having just got into cycling I have recently read the 2 pro rider books by David Miller and Tyler Hamilton. I much preferred the former.

However, the best book by far was Mud, sweat and gears' by E Bennett. This is about a trip from Land's end to John O'Groats and is especially good if you like real ale. This was followed closely by 'It's all about the bike', a quest to find the perfect bike.
Guy951

Re: Four recent reads

Post by Guy951 »

samsbike wrote:...However, the best book by far was Mud, sweat and gears' by E Bennett. This is about a trip from Land's end to John O'Groats and is especially good if you like real ale...

+ 1

I read it last week and it's very :lol:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
EllieMay968

Post by EllieMay968 »

Cheers guys! :D

Ellie Bennett
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

MS & G is on the pile for as my next read, currently reading one of Josie's books.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Guy951 wrote:
samsbike wrote:...However, the best book by far was Mud, sweat and gears' by E Bennett. This is about a trip from Land's end to John O'Groats and is especially good if you like real ale...

+ 1

I read it last week and it's very :lol:

Downloaded Ellie's book yesterday and finished it today. It's a really fun book to read especially for folk thinking about lejog. It is refreshingly light on gear talk. Hats off to Ellie on beer consumption, more impressive than the cycling achievement in my book!
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Had it for Christmas from hubby (Mud, Sweat and Gears) and have nearly finished it. Can't wait to go to bed each night to read the next bit. Hubby looking forward to reading it, then we've just got to wait until the kids are old enough to leave so we can do the trip! :?
Did enjoy David Millar's book also.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

I have to agree on MS & G: it is an enjoyable and unique travelogue with just the right amount of cycling included. I have just finished reading it on my Kindle. LEJOG is something I have always wanted to do, but it makes sense to do it in a similar way to Ellie. Why take the shortest route when the trip is about getting pleasure and exploring the country (and its pubs)?
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.