Going out in the Buff

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Stradageek

Going out in the Buff

Post by Stradageek »

I'm not even sure where I heard about them but I recently purchased a Buff (a very expensive polyester tube) and am amazed at the result!

I can wear one less layer on these cold winter days because my neck is cosy, but not sweaty, and if I'm on a chilly descent I can go into Western Outlaw mode and cover up the mouth and nose too.

An unexpected bonus is that I no longer have to worry about zips digging into the throat (a particular problem when riding a recumbent) as the Buff also acts as a soft 'buffer'.

Why didn't anyone tell me about these before? My standard 'saddle bag' kit (usually a gilet, arm warmers and a head band) will have to increase in weight by 30 grams

PS my wife got one too, arrived at work and thought 'this looks nice' and wore it all day, bonus!
reohn2

Re: Going out in the Buff

Post by reohn2 »

Buffs are great! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
dodger

Post by dodger »

I thought I was going to read about naked cycling!
gaz

Post by gaz »

reohn2 wrote:Buffs are great! :D

+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I'll stick with my fleece scarf - as with poppers and zips it lets me adjust the temperature if I warm up.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

I got a merino wool buff in a camping shop closing down sale. Really love it and wouldn't be without it.
It really does make an amazing difference
RickH

Post by RickH »

I wear one under my helmet nearly all the time when cycling. I have a "polar" one (with a section of fleecy material at one end) that I wear in skull cap mode for the coldest weather and the rest of the time use an ordinary one, either as a skull cap in mild weather or rolled up as a sweat band in hot weather.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I too wear one all the time under my helmet. in summer to soak up the sweat and in winter to keep my head and ears warm. if it's cold i wear an extra one around the neck and cover my chin with it.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
daveanmucker

Post by daveanmucker »

It surprised me just how much difference a Buff made to the comfort factor on't bike and out on't t hill we have or should I say t' wife has a regular Buff but after reading t' thread I ordered a merino one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I too have a polar one. Only started using it this winter - yes it makes a big difference - i was surprised - often allows me to get away with using my lighter top.
Sweep
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got 5 now I think. One is used in work, for when I'm in the +2c warehouse and the others are there if I need them for the colder rides.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Aldi have Buffs today £2.99

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Stradageek wrote:...and if I'm on a chilly descent I can go into Western Outlaw mode and cover up the mouth and nose too

+1

I wear mine like this most of the time atm :( Have to take my glasses off tho otherwise they steam up :lol:

I'd been meaning to buy one for ages (as recommended here) and then got one as a surprise xmas pressie :grin: Now I could do with a second one for when it's in the wash.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I've bought an Aldi one - looks interesting - gives six "wearing suggestions" and intriguingly suggests I can "create my own style" - though I'm stuck for ideas there..
We shall see.
It should at least bridge the gap between fleece cap and nothing.

Being a hairy ex-biker who at one stage had planned to be riding a Harley by now, perhaps I should eventually go for something a bit more colourful. :wink:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Tigger wrote: Have to take my glasses off tho otherwise they steam up :lol:

That is one downside to wearing a buff, though when I stop at traffic lights etc then I do drop the buff down to my chin(s) :lol: to prevent this.