Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
bobg

Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Post by bobg »

I get quite a lot of poor service from retail outlets so when something outstanding happens, it's nice to share it. I ordered about £25worth of bits and pieces from Spa Cycles today, over the phone because I wasn't near a PC and wanted to get the order in. When I asked about payment by credit/debit card, I was told not to bother, they'd send the items out with an invoice, and to just stick a cheque in the post when it was convenient! ..... When I can't even fill my car with petrol round here without paying for it in advance, and when off licences are manned from behind plastic fortifications, this came as a shock, albeit a very welcome one!!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

On another thread, someone said : "....what would we do without Spa Cycles?....."

Based on my own experience, I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree.

JohnW.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm with JohnW :)
bobg

Post by bobg »

Oops sorry wrong forum - got over excited about not moaning about something - its an age thing

Bob
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I sent them an email over a week ago asking for prices of parts not listed on their web page. They've not bothered replying....
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

axel_knutt wrote:I sent them an email over a week ago asking for prices of parts not listed on their web page. They've not bothered replying....

you can't be sure that they got it.
try ringing them up, i also found them really helpful :D
PW

Post by PW »

I look things up on the website then give them a call. Best online supplier going, possibly run a good second by Bike+. I like to keep them both in business so who I call depends on what item I'm after.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

hubgearfreak wrote:
axel_knutt wrote:I sent them an email over a week ago asking for prices of parts not listed on their web page. They've not bothered replying....

I've just faxed the order to Roseversand. I asked them to acknowledge, but I 've heard nowt from them either.
vernon

Post by vernon »

axel_knutt wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:

I've just faxed the order to Roseversand. I asked them to acknowledge, but I 've heard nowt from them either.

Spa have been very brisk when I've placed orders online or by phone. Their shop is tardis like. It's got a very small frontage but a humungous depth....
pete75

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate) - Top class

Post by pete75 »

bobg wrote:I get quite a lot of poor service from retail outlets so when something outstanding happens, it's nice to share it. I ordered about £25worth of bits and pieces from Spa Cycles today, over the phone because I wasn't near a PC and wanted to get the order in. When I asked about payment by credit/debit card, I was told not to bother, they'd send the items out with an invoice, and to just stick a cheque in the post when it was convenient! ..... When I can't even fill my car with petrol round here without paying for it in advance, and when off licences are manned from behind plastic fortifications, this came as a shock, albeit a very welcome one!!

Same thing happened with me Bob - reckon it shows that cyclists are a pretty honest bunch.
Along with trust their prices are good, they know what they are talking about and they still stock rings, bolts etc for proper touring chainsets like my Stronglight LX100.
georgew

Post by georgew »

This is normal practice for Spa and it's one of those places which renew your faith in human nature. What's more the present owner's father was exactly the same when he was running the business. That's why Spa is a byword for cycle-tourists and why I've been buying from them for thirty-five years.
mrs doubtfire

Spa Cycles

Post by mrs doubtfire »

My Dawes Galaxy came from there.Ihad just had a hernia and other adom bits done.They set up the bike for me and would not let me leave until THEY were satisfied i was comfortable.Great service.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

But they don't do any Campagnolo!
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:But they don't do any Campagnolo!

Are you sure about that MickF?

Spa recently obtained for me three rear spindles with Campag Record threads - Campag Record spindles on the traditional screw-on hubs were different from all others (as far as I know) and the cones will fit on no other spindles.

Spa got me the spindles, and can get cones if requested. And I didn't have to wait long. And the spindles were available to any length to my requirements. And they were only £10.00p each, which is about the same as Campag spindles I bought a few years ago.

JohnW.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi John,
I am basing my thought on the fact that there ain't none on their website.

I do them a disservice. Sorry.
Mick F. Cornwall