Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
LollyKat

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Post by LollyKat »

And me - +2

I boycotted Spa for 20 years after a couple of really bad experiences -- it's only after reading some of this thread that I was recently persuaded to give them another chance. So far so good!

TM - if you don't like a thread you don't have to read it, you know. :)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

JohnW wrote:Which town will you be coming to Flinders?

Not sure yet. Will be another year to 18 months before we're ready to move, unless the Perfect House comes up! Probably closer to Pendle (where I'm originally from) than Harrogate, as things stand, but you never know where a house may come up. But the bike shops in Pendle way back in the day that I knew about seem to have gone, so was thinking that Spa might be in the running, at least for some things.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I hope you find the right place Flinders. Pendle is quite a way from Harrogate (actually, Spa have moved to Knaresborough which is probably a mile or two further). I don't know about LBSs in Pendle - I don't know the area very well at all.
robgul

Post by robgul »

JohnW wrote:Pendle is quite a way from Harrogate (actually, Spa have moved to Knaresborough which is probably a mile or two further). I don't know about LBSs in Pendle - I don't know the area very well at all.

Knaresborough? - you sure about that? - they did move a few years ago from the tiny but Tardis-like shop to an industrial-type unit but still in Harrogate.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PH

Post by PH »

robgul wrote:
JohnW wrote:Pendle is quite a way from Harrogate (actually, Spa have moved to Knaresborough which is probably a mile or two further). I don't know about LBSs in Pendle - I don't know the area very well at all.

Knaresborough? - you sure about that? - they did move a few years ago from the tiny but Tardis-like shop to an industrial-type unit but still in Harrogate.

Rob

They're in Starbeck about half way between the two, though the address is still Harrogate.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

robgul wrote:

Rob

Thanks Robgul - the new Spa place is, as PH says below, indeed in Starbeck - quite close to Starbeck railway station. Why I said Knaresborough I don't know :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: - I'll plead insanity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Gosh I feel a twit :cry: . I was picturing Starbeck in (what I have for) my mind as I typed Knaresborough.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

LollyKat wrote:And me - +2

I boycotted Spa for 20 years after a couple of really bad experiences -- it's only after reading some of this thread that I was recently persuaded to give them another chance. So far so good!

TM - if you don't like a thread you don't have to read it, you know. :)

No, really!?

Seriously this keeps popping up and you know you don't want to read it but the curiosity about it drags you back in. Is there something new being posted? Another quick read and the answer is no!

Just what new can be said after 35 pages? If there's a change from it's a good shop I'm sure a new thread would or could be opened. Being locked doesn't stop the thread being found by someone looking for information on the retailer.

IMHO a few shorter threads on a retailer would be better. What I mean is 2007 great service, 2009 a series of complaints about foul mouthed rant at customers, a few other complaints through the years. So a series of threads from 2007 positive then locked. 2009 negative stories then locked. Later you get positive and negative threads all locked. Result is that anyone looking at Spa Cycles can search for threads on them and they get a series of short threads going through the years charting issues. You can find those negatives and positives. Right now you have a 35 page thread where any snippets of interest to potential customers of Spa are hidden.

It's just an idea because IMHO a series of two page threads charting the level of customer service could be more useful than one thread which seems to be to be a Spa love in thread with a few issues raised in among those positive threads.
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's just an idea because IMHO a series of two page threads charting the level of customer service could be more useful than one thread which seems to be to be a Spa love in thread with a few issues raised in among those positive threads.

Another idea might be to use this board for it's intended purpose :wink:
2/ This section of the board is for reviews of specific items or services only

There's another section of the forum for discussion on how the forum is organised.
The advantage of using that would be
A) You wouldn't make a thread you're complaining is too long even longer, by adding stuff that isn't a review
B) People interested in that subject might see it, where as those opening this thread are expecting a review and those not interested in yet another Spa review might not be reading your point at all.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

From Message Boards: Posting Info & Guidelines

Do not post the same topic on more than one board

Please do not duplicate posts across different boards. This confuses and annoys other posters It causes more work for the moderators. The vast majority of posters check all the sections anyway so duplicate posts will be removed without notification.
If you are not sure that you have posted on the right/correct board, the moderators will (eventually) move it to the best place.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Tangled Metal wrote:.................this keeps popping up and you know you don't want to read it but the curiosity about it drags you back in....................

This is said, without any malice, ill feeling, annoyance or even grumpiness :D :D :D - but please do speak for yourself.

As someone said above - you don't have to read it - you don't even HAVE to click on it.
Last edited by JohnW on 26 Aug 2018, 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

LollyKat wrote:From Message Boards: Posting Info & Guidelines

Do not post the same topic on more than one board

Please do not duplicate posts across different boards. This confuses and annoys other posters It causes more work for the moderators. The vast majority of posters check all the sections anyway so duplicate posts will be removed without notification.
If you are not sure that you have posted on the right/correct board, the moderators will (eventually) move it to the best place.

Was that aimed at me? What point are you trying to make?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

No, I was actually supporting your post - it was aimed at Tangled Metal who has moaned both on this thread and on the "Retailer thread", complete with poll, that he created elsewhere.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

JohnW wrote:I hope you find the right place Flinders. Pendle is quite a way from Harrogate (actually, Spa have moved to Knaresborough which is probably a mile or two further). I don't know about LBSs in Pendle - I don't know the area very well at all.

The ones I knew in Pendle have gone, and googling isn't getting me anything but defunct websites. Harrogate isn't too bad for me for bigger stuff, as I will be going over there to the art gallery from time to time; In fact, did the run last week when I was up there. An excuse for tea at Betty's at Harlow Carr, too. :mrgreen:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Flinders wrote:
JohnW wrote:I hope you find the right place Flinders. Pendle is quite a way from Harrogate (actually, Spa have moved to Knaresborough which is probably a mile or two further). I don't know about LBSs in Pendle - I don't know the area very well at all.

The ones I knew in Pendle have gone, and googling isn't getting me anything but defunct websites. Harrogate isn't too bad for me for bigger stuff, as I will be going over there to the art gallery from time to time; In fact, did the run last week when I was up there. An excuse for tea at Betty's at Harlow Carr, too. :mrgreen:

I don't know your area for LBSs, and I don't know whereabouts in Pendle you'll be living, but if you click on Zyro's web-site, and then on their 'Find a Retailer' tab you'll find a few LBSs around Pendle - possibly within, depending on exactly what is meant by "Pendle".

http://www.zyrofisher.co.uk/retailers

I know the Chevin Cycles shop in Skipton, and there is another LBS in Skipton which I've also used a couple of times - a traditional family-sized local LBS. I also use the Blazing Saddles shop in Hebden Bridge.

I don't know the shop with branches in Burnley and Blackburn - maybe someone more local will be able to give you info.

I've called at the shop in Settle, in an emergency really when I had a problem, and they had just the part I wanted, even though a bit obscure - and they were very helpful. A bit far from me to be an LBS though.
Patrickpioneer

SPA cycles

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Boxing day I put in an order on line with SPA cycles for a new saddle and blow me the saddle is here on the 28th!
That is what you call service
Pat