Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Manc33

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Post by Manc33 »

Ever seen that Seinfeld episode with the "Soup Nazi"? :)

Spa isn't somewhere you should expect good service, you should be grateful there even is a Spa Cycles! :P

Sorry those are the rules.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Manc33 wrote:............you should be grateful there even is a Spa Cycles! :P

Absolutely Manc - absolutely- but I've always, always, had good service from them. Having said that, I don't live too far from them and I've usually ridden over to the shop, but I ordered from them by post this last Christmas - I posted off my cheque and order 19th December and my parcel came on 30th December, so there was a weekend and Christmas between - and that's assuming my order was received the day after I posted it.

I read this talk of less than perfect service, but I just don't recognise it.

Now - reports from users of Spa saddles please............................
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've only dealt with them twice and the second was over a replacement for the knackered saddle.
Both times have been pleasant and deliveries were quick. Within 4 days from enquiry to having the saddle in my hands.
It's nice to have one shop in the whole of the UK that isn't centred around carbon fibre race bikes or fs mountain bikes.

As for saddles, the current replacement Nidd has had a perennial cutout for most of its 950 miles / 5 month life and is showing no signs of fault. It has been attacked by my fiancees cats and scuffed with my keys a few times but the scratches seem to fade away after some miles. A few soakings in mild rain don't appear to have done any lasting damage either despite the leather showing damp patches for a few following days. I have noticed it squeaks a bit after a while but I just slosh some oil between the leather and front nose plate which is so far keeping it quiet. The tension bolt has been unscrewed a few turns since new also.
Overall I'd say I love this saddle :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Following on from a recent post;

I ordered a Sputnik rim & a couple of other small items last Thursday 17th PM which were received today - Tues 22nd AM.

Pretty swift service to the North of Scotland on this occasion, no complaints,

All the best, Simon
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I posted an order and a cheque to Spa by evening post last Tuesday, and assume it arrived with them on Thursday. This morning I opened an e-mail from them confirming that the saddle as ordered had been dispatched yesterday (Monday), and it arrived today (Tuesday) shortly after the e-mail.

Personally, I think that's splendid.
Charlie Whiskey

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

Hi - first post.

Was wondering if anyone has been sending email enquiries to Spa lately - over the past 3 weeks or so I've sent them two messages via their web contact form never hearing back, thinking it's a problem with their site I tried their email address not hearing back after a few business days as well. Is it just me?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I don't know whether this helps, but I received an e-mail from them (confirmation of dispatch of an order) on October 6th.

Why not give them a ring?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I emailed them about a month ago and they replied within a day.

One problem businesses get nowadays is that with the generation of more and more spam, spam filters are having to get more rigourous in what is being blocked. It could be possible that the emails you have sent have been spam blocked (depending on how the form and the spam filter has been configured for example, it could seem to be coming from your email address. If that email address is a hotmail one it could easily end up on the wrong end of a spam filter).
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

honesty wrote:I emailed them about a month ago and they replied within a day.

One problem businesses get nowadays is that with the generation of more and more spam, spam filters are having to get more rigourous in what is being blocked. It could be possible that the emails you have sent have been spam blocked (depending on how the form and the spam filter has been configured for example, it could seem to be coming from your email address. If that email address is a hotmail one it could easily end up on the wrong end of a spam filter).

There is truth in that - about one in five of e-mails sent to me from one of my friends goes into the 'spam' box on my server...................and neither of us have any idea why.
honesty

Post by honesty »

there's lots of reasons why, from the metrics used by the spam filter, to whether the domain has a properly attributed SPF record (this can be a big one now as the SPF record tells the spam server the domain is correctly sending email from the right server), and so on. Having an email address from the big providers like Hotmail doesn't help either as the quantity of spam from these domains can skew the metric. It's problematic trying to pin down why it's doing it on individual emails though!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

JohnW wrote:There is truth in that - about one in five of e-mails sent to me from one of my friends goes into the 'spam' box on my server...................and neither of us have any idea why.

It may be a word/phrase filter. They are often set up to exclude email that have typical phrases taken from phishing mails. It may not even be very obvious to you because as the spammers get trickier to get around filters, the filters have to get trickier, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

Charlie Whiskey wrote:Hi - first post.

Was wondering if anyone has been sending email enquiries to Spa lately - over the past 3 weeks or so I've sent them two messages via their web contact form never hearing back, thinking it's a problem with their site I tried their email address not hearing back after a few business days as well. Is it just me?

I sent them a query on their web form about three weeks ago with no reply. It's not just you - it's Spa and their general attitude to the modern world. In the meantime they are busy making bikes and designing frames that are widely considered the best value touring bikes/frames on the market. I'm rather glad they ignore the messages, even mine. A telephone call would probably do it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
honesty

Post by honesty »

I did email the address directly, rather than using the form. Could be a problem with the form then!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Whats the question?
Charlie Whiskey

Post by Charlie Whiskey »

531colin wrote:

Whats the question?

"Is it just me" [not getting any replies to queries from them]?