Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Trikesnbikes

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Post by Trikesnbikes »

I had a very good experience ordering a Spa Tourer frameset. I ordered on Friday and took delivery lunchtime on the following Tuesday. Shortly after I ordered they checked that I was ordering the correct size for my height (which I was happy with). There was one problem, they sent the wrong colour, but after a brief, amicable discussion we reached a mutually acceptable solution.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Ordered a "house" saddle in the small hours of Saturday. Arrived midmorning on Tuesday. An hour later I received an e mail to notify me that it had been dispatched... A tad disorganised maybe, but I paid my money and now have my saddle - and it's the right one too :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

I ordered a Spa Elan 725 built up as a tourer with steel fork. Can't be happier with the support and service I received. Great bike, great price, great service! Very happy and would thoroughly recommend.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Small beer, but nonetheless nice service. I ordered a pair of brake levers, 2 left hands arrived. Emailed... they phoned me back and said if I returned then they'd cover post and send a RH. Not wishing to visit and queue at PO I ordered another "pair", asking for 2 RH if possible. They phoned to double check ... and I quickly rec'd 2 RH. Spare pair to sell once safer to go busy places!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

What is the point of this thread?????
All it does is demonstrate just how up and down customer relationships go.
My own experience of Spa has been mediocre.
I bought a pair of wheels from them way back. The wheels replaced the Sun Rhino ones my Thorn Nomad came with.
The rear one had an annoying tick tick tick that I just turned a deaf ear to.
Lately, I tried to get some help from Spa, with replacing my E-Bike wheels, but the guy I dealt with became abusive and foul-mouthed over a telephone conversation.
Cycle dealers are enjoying a bonanza during the lockdown, but far from acknowledging their good fortune, some of them treat their cash cows like dirt.
I'm not trying to be cock a snoop here, just telling like it is.
Spa and its long-standing supporters can come on here exulting all they like, but I'd never toss as penny their way again!
PH

Post by PH »

arnsider wrote:Cycle dealers are enjoying a bonanza during the lockdown, but far from acknowledging their good fortune, some of them treat their cash cows like dirt.

My service from Spa has also been more variable than I'd like, I buy from them when there's a compelling reason, but they're rarely the first choice.
However the above doesn't reflect the reality, shortage of supply, distribution problems, trying to work in a safe environment for both employees and customers, it all adds up and is no bonanza for the retailers, many of whom are struggling, however popular cycling has become.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Was prompted to look at the origin of 'cock a snook' [sic]

Can't seem to find any consensus, which is disappointing :?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote:Was prompted to look at the origin of 'cock a snook' [sic]

Can't seem to find any consensus, which is disappointing

You're happy with it coming from the gesture? And the uncertainty is about why the gesture has that name?

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Was prompted to look at the origin of 'cock a snook' [sic]

Can't seem to find any consensus, which is disappointing

You're happy with it coming from the gesture? And the uncertainty is about why the gesture has that name?

Jonathan

Exactly that.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

arnsider wrote:What is the point of this thread?????
All it does is demonstrate just how up and down customer relationships go.
My own experience of Spa has been mediocre.
I bought a pair of wheels from them way back. The wheels replaced the Sun Rhino ones my Thorn Nomad came with.
The rear one had an annoying tick tick tick that I just turned a deaf ear to.
Lately, I tried to get some help from Spa, with replacing my E-Bike wheels, but the guy I dealt with became abusive and foul-mouthed over a telephone conversation.
Cycle dealers are enjoying a bonanza during the lockdown, but far from acknowledging their good fortune, some of them treat their cash cows like dirt.
I'm not trying to be cock a snoop here, just telling like it is.
Spa and its long-standing supporters can come on here exulting all they like, but I'd never toss as penny their way again!

Now I haven't bothered to look up your previous posts, so this is from my poor memory......
1 You bought an electric bike, not from Spa. Cost? what, say £3000 ?
2 The wheels were unsatisfactory
3 the wheels were replaced
4 The replacement wheels were unsatisfactory

So, several questions.
Where are you on here complaining about the people who sold you a defective bike for a lot of money, and who failed to make good the defect?
Why do you expect Spa (who don't sell electric bikes) to be able to fix it remotely, when they have never actually seen the bike in question?
Do you know if its a through axle? do you know how many types of them there are? Do you know all about the disc brakes?
I think you said that the abusive call was following an exchange of e mails and calls? So, how many E mails and calls do you think it is reasonable to have answered when the shop is full of people with money in their hands, who know what they want and are actually ready to buy something?

Its never acceptable (in my opinion) to berate somebody either over the phone or over the internet, but (on this occasion) I don't think its Spa thats "treating you like a cash cow" . It seems to me that you only turn to Spa when others have let you down.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What is the point of this thread?

Like all the other reviews on this section of the forum, it's to try to give people some insight into others' experiences, rather than relying on adverts. Its length seems to show the company's importance to forum members.

Going right back to its start, a negative comment about Spa had one mod getting quite agitated till the Jekyll and Hyde thing was explained. I know because I was a spambuster then and some of the discussion went on behind the scenes.

One big plus about it all being in one place is that not every new post, be it pos or neg, has to mean everybody taking sides recounting experiences going back to the Wedderburn Road days. New posts can add to what's gone before.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ordered a cassette and chain: delivered well, fast, and with no problems. What’s not to like?
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Previously, 2019, they built a rear wheel for my winter bike - Dawes One Down- and I specified the cassette.

They rang to say, sorry, that is out of stock, but we can offer a higher priced one for the inconvenience.

All ok: wheel has been great.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

"So, several questions.
Where are you on here complaining about the people who sold you a defective bike for a lot of money, and who failed to make good the defect?
Why do you expect Spa (who don't sell electric bikes) to be able to fix it remotely, when they have never actually seen the bike in question?
Do you know if its a through axle? do you know how many types of them there are? Do you know all about the disc brakes?
I think you said that the abusive call was following an exchange of e mails and calls? So, how many E mails and calls do you think it is reasonable to have answered when the shop is full of people with money in their hands, who know what they want and are actually ready to buy something?"
Yes I was "On here" complaining. Others might benefit from my experience.
I don't expect Spa to fix anything. I was hoping for a bit of help and indulgence because I wanted to make sure of my requirements. I didn't expect to be sworn at and made to feel like a nuisance! I know I have a through-axle. That;'s pretty easy to deduce, even though I am not that Savvy.
I don't know anything about discs, but I'm learning!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

arnsider wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 8:07pm "So, several questions.
I think you said that the abusive call was following an exchange of e mails and calls? So, how many E mails and calls do you think it is reasonable to have answered when the shop is full of people with money in their hands, who know what they want and are actually ready to buy something?"
Yes I was "On here" complaining. Others might benefit from my experience.
I don't expect Spa to fix anything. I was hoping for a bit of help and indulgence because I wanted to make sure of my requirements. I didn't expect to be sworn at and made to feel like a nuisance! I know I have a through-axle. That;'s pretty easy to deduce, even though I am not that Savvy.
I don't know anything about discs, but I'm learning!
If you think it's acceptable to abuse and dispense with a customer because others are queuing up to "Throw money" at you, then I don't reckon a lot to you sunny Jim!
The post that you quote is sensible and makes a valuable point or series of points.