Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Samuel D
Posts: 2407
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Samuel D » 16 Jul 2018, 7:09pm

If I understand correctly, you’ve had this bicycle for many years and are now expecting a new bicycle because you don’t like SRAM Apex gears? Plus the sand, of course. I think that ship has sailed, mister!

wearwell
Posts: 285
Joined: 3 Feb 2011, 8:45am

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby wearwell » 16 Jul 2018, 7:46pm

Samuel D wrote:If I understand correctly, you’ve had this bicycle for many years and are now expecting a new bicycle because you don’t like SRAM Apex gears? Plus the sand, of course. I think that ship has sailed, mister!

You don't understand correctly. I don't expect a new bicycle now, but with hindsight it was a dud and should not have been sold.
Spa made out that SRAM Apex are OK but they don't fit them any longer and SRAM Apex are complained about all over the place - not just me!

pete75
Posts: 10305
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby pete75 » 17 Jul 2018, 9:43am

wearwell wrote:
Samuel D wrote:If I understand correctly, you’ve had this bicycle for many years and are now expecting a new bicycle because you don’t like SRAM Apex gears? Plus the sand, of course. I think that ship has sailed, mister!

You don't understand correctly. I don't expect a new bicycle now, but with hindsight it was a dud and should not have been sold.
Spa made out that SRAM Apex are OK but they don't fit them any longer and SRAM Apex are complained about all over the place - not just me!


If I understand correctly your major complaint is the reliability of Apex components. Sram offer a two warranty why didn't you claim under that?

landsurfer
Posts: 4089
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jul 2018, 9:57am

My SPA Steel Touring is superb.
My support from SPA has been without issue.
Advice has been free and detailed.
They are the best cycle dealers i have dealt with in my 40 years Cycling.

There will always be those who feel the need to complain about a vendor, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect.
RSF.
Audax UK.
The road goes on forever.

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 14961
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Si » 17 Jul 2018, 10:25am

landsurfer wrote:
There will always be those who feel the need to complain about a vendor, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect.


In the same way that "There will always be those who feel the need to complain about someone else having an opinion or experience that differs from theirs, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect." ?

Let's please not get upset and be offensive to people just because their dealings with a particular company may have not been as good as ours. We would not expect every company to get everything correct every time, and we have no reason to believe that anyone is making things up in this thread. The idea is that everyone factually describes their dealings (good and bad), thus letting any onlooker make their own mind up.

landsurfer
Posts: 4089
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby landsurfer » 17 Jul 2018, 10:54am

I think the point i was trying to make, badly, was that people in general are quick to complain and slow to praise.
Certainly society at the moment seems to have become intolerant of anything that does not align with their precise views.
UK universities are a case in point at this time. The pillars of free speech and discussion have become the exact opposite.
I suspect for every 1 complaint about a vendor there are dozens of customers with a positive experience, they just don't get excited about it.
RSF.
Audax UK.
The road goes on forever.

wearwell
Posts: 285
Joined: 3 Feb 2011, 8:45am

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby wearwell » 18 Jul 2018, 9:26pm

pete75 wrote:
wearwell wrote:
Samuel D wrote:If I understand correctly, you’ve had this bicycle for many years and are now expecting a new bicycle because you don’t like SRAM Apex gears? Plus the sand, of course. I think that ship has sailed, mister!

You don't understand correctly. I don't expect a new bicycle now, but with hindsight it was a dud and should not have been sold.
Spa made out that SRAM Apex are OK but they don't fit them any longer and SRAM Apex are complained about all over the place - not just me!


If I understand correctly your major complaint is the reliability of Apex components. Sram offer a two warranty why didn't you claim under that?

They never worked well but I got used to them. They didn't finally fail until 7 years (of low mileage). Fail - broken inner parts, as distinct from wearing out. But this was just the final straw of a whole list of little things - worst of all being sand in the head tube which worked it's way into the bearings and caused an alarming stiffening up. That was 5 years on - I'd been on and off cycling for some time in between due to health reasons.
There wasn't an obvious point at which to complain because usually by then I'd fixed the prob e.g. sand although potentially lethal was an easy fix and it was outside guarantee period.
Basically the bike shouldn't have gone out in the condition it was in. With hindsight there were lots of little clues - I sent the wheels back at the very beginning as they were out of true, the other probs just kept popping up un expectedly.
It was early in their introductory promo and I think they were in a hurry to complete orders, and slipped up.
I think I've fixed everything now (but I thought that several times previously and was wrong!). I'm just having a moan about poor service.
landsurfer wrote:....
There will always be those who feel the need to complain about a vendor, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect.
Not fair. I've always had good (i.e. normal) service from Spa (20 years or more) - the problem here is that I didn't complain soon or often enough, by which time it was too late (legally but not morally).
Last edited by wearwell on 19 Jul 2018, 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ontherivet77
Posts: 196
Joined: 3 Jun 2009, 3:20pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Ontherivet77 » 19 Jul 2018, 9:51am

Si wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
There will always be those who feel the need to complain about a vendor, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect.


In the same way that "There will always be those who feel the need to complain about someone else having an opinion or experience that differs from theirs, the same people that wake every morning desperate to be offended i expect." ?

Let's please not get upset and be offensive to people just because their dealings with a particular company may have not been as good as ours. We would not expect every company to get everything correct every time, and we have no reason to believe that anyone is making things up in this thread. The idea is that everyone factually describes their dealings (good and bad), thus letting any onlooker make their own mind up.


I agree with what you are saying, but the trouble is some of the good praise on this 34 page thread, does lack factual veracity and seems to me the work of cheerleaders of the Spa organisation.

JohnW
Posts: 5937
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby JohnW » 19 Jul 2018, 11:59am

OK then - 3 cheers for Spa - Hip-Hip............................. :D :D :D

Samuel D
Posts: 2407
Joined: 8 Mar 2015, 11:05pm
Location: Paris

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Samuel D » 19 Jul 2018, 2:15pm

… Hurrah!

(I hope you’re getting paid as handsomely as I am for that, JohnW.)

pete75
Posts: 10305
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby pete75 » 19 Jul 2018, 8:44pm

Ontherivet77 wrote:I agree with what you are saying, but the trouble is some of the good praise on this 34 page thread, does lack factual veracity and seems to me the work of cheerleaders of the Spa organisation.


Don't beat about the bush man - tell us which so called cheerleaders are being untruthful.

Ontherivet77
Posts: 196
Joined: 3 Jun 2009, 3:20pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Ontherivet77 » 19 Jul 2018, 9:36pm

pete75 wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:I agree with what you are saying, but the trouble is some of the good praise on this 34 page thread, does lack factual veracity and seems to me the work of cheerleaders of the Spa organisation.


Don't beat about the bush man - tell us which so called cheerleaders are being untruthful.

They're your words not mine. I suggest you read the posts and draw your own conclusions.

pete75
Posts: 10305
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby pete75 » 19 Jul 2018, 10:03pm

Ontherivet77 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:I agree with what you are saying, but the trouble is some of the good praise on this 34 page thread, does lack factual veracity and seems to me the work of cheerleaders of the Spa organisation.


Don't beat about the bush man - tell us which so called cheerleaders are being untruthful.

They're your words not mine. I suggest you read the posts and draw your own conclusions.


As I said don't beat about the bush - lacking factual veracity and untruthful are more or less the same thing. No you're the one making the claim taht some postings are lacking factual veracity so it's up to you to point out which ones. Or is your claim lacking factual veracity?

JohnW
Posts: 5937
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby JohnW » 19 Jul 2018, 11:03pm

Samuel D wrote:… Hurrah!

(I hope you’re getting paid as handsomely as I am for that, JohnW.)


Chance 'ud be a fine thing Sam. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ontherivet77
Posts: 196
Joined: 3 Jun 2009, 3:20pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby Ontherivet77 » 20 Jul 2018, 8:51am

pete75 wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Don't beat about the bush man - tell us which so called cheerleaders are being untruthful.

They're your words not mine. I suggest you read the posts and draw your own conclusions.


As I said don't beat about the bush - lacking factual veracity and untruthful are more or less the same thing. No you're the one making the claim taht some postings are lacking factual veracity so it's up to you to point out which ones. Or is your claim lacking factual veracity?


Okay, then here's my take on it and what I mean is authenticity not truthfulness.
A thread about a business should be impartial, in fairness to the business and the people who might use it.
It should work (hypothetically) like this Person A posts a positive review, which is followed up persons B & C saying they had a positive experience also. Then along comes Person D who says he had a terrible experience and the owner threatened him an inner tube etc. Things should move in that cycle to give a balanced view of the shop in question. What's happening in this thread is :
Person A responds by saying he is sorry about that but he had a good experience.
Person B claims person D is bitter and has got it in for the shop
Person C undermines the person D by saying I don't know what you are complaining about etc.

In reality this thread is full of repeated posts of persons not offering anything new from a factual experience of good service, but repeating what they have already said previously. Now, there may be no other reason than they love the shop, but what's to stop someone connected to the shop planting good reviews? Have a look at the online feedback of Arrow XL and tell me how long it takes you spot the planted feedback. So, no I am not accusing anyone of lying what I am saying is allow people to state their opinions without trying either intentionally or unintentionally to skew things back in the favour of the business concerned. To me that is just as bad as someone with an axe to grind coming on the forum for the sole purpose of slagging off a business.