Taya chains

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
George Riches

Taya chains

Post by George Riches »

A TaYa TB50 chain I bought last year stretched somewhere between 0.8% and 0.9% within 700 miles. The Sedis, KMC or Sram chains, I've used before stretched less than 0.5% in 3000 miles.
Si

Post by Si »

I found the Taya power links to be bloody awful , having had a couple break for no apparent reason (fairly new and fitted correctly).
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

Oh I forgot to mention another negative thing about Taya chains.

Taya recommend only using one of their "powerlinks" once. I can understand that as it's difficult to remove a Taya powerlink without bending the pins together so much that the plate on which the pins are attached becomes distorted.
A TaYa TB50 "powerlink" before use.

Sram powerlinks, by comparision, can be safely re-used on the same chain as you don't have to bend anything to get the two parts apart. In use a mixture of normal chain tension, close tolerences, chain oil surface tension and plain ordinary chain "mud" keeps the link together.
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

I bought a Taya chain a year ago, and completely gave up with the link (I think they called it a 'Sigma' link)
I couldn't make it snap together at all, and resorted to the old extract-a-pin method.
My next chain is an SRAM which comes with a Power Link.
I'll probably be back here - either with request for help in making it work, or, preferrably, a (grimy) thumbs up.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

archy sturmer wrote:I bought a Taya chain a year ago, and completely gave up with the link (I think they called it a 'Sigma' link)
I couldn't make it snap together at all, and resorted to the old extract-a-pin method.
My next chain is an SRAM which comes with a Power Link.
I'll probably be back here - either with request for help in making it work, or, preferrably, a (grimy) thumbs up.

The Sram "power link" couldn't be easier as is the the Wipperman variant.
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

reohn2 wrote:The Sram "power link" couldn't be easier as is the the Wipperman variant.

That's good to know, thanks Reohn2 - if it proves to much for my clumsy fingers, I'll know who to ask for advice!

Regards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

archy sturmer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The Sram "power link" couldn't be easier as is the the Wipperman variant.

That's good to know, thanks Reohn2 - if it proves to much for my clumsy fingers, I'll know who to ask for advice!
Regards

Over the w/end I'll be trying a Sram power link on a Wipperman chain,I'll keep you posted.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

I had a Taya chain break twice about a month ago.
It was four years old and I must admit I had neglected to feed it it's usual drink of WD40 before I set out.
The first time it broke I was with a friend with a chaintool who fitted it back together. The second time it broke was 4 miles from home so I had to walk/scoot the rest of the way & didn't get home till 2.30am.
A couple of weeks later my nextdoor neighbour assualted me out of the blue because I had apparently woken him up by putting my bike away at such a late hour.
He now has a Police caution, and I have a ripped Cycling Weekly T-shirt and a new chain (not a Taya)!
I have never used the special removable links when fitting derraileur chains - I just use a chaintool and leave the spring type links in the box.