CycleOps Powertap Pro

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
EnquiringMind

CycleOps Powertap Pro

Post by EnquiringMind »

A power meter is probably not something that many CTC members are in the target audience for, although some of the things I'm doing with mine are surely very much on-topic (for instance, I'm currently doing a controlled test of two-wheel and one-wheel trailers against panniers - watch this space :) )

It's also given me a newfound appreciation for pacing my efforts on full day rides (even when I thought I was going easy, I was actually attacking hills much too hard, for instance).

Anyway, I wrote up a CycleOps PowerTap Pro review just before we moved house last month and it's been sitting as a draft ever since - now published at last. (There are some other bits and pieces that may be interesting in the power section of my blog).

easyroller

Re: CycleOps Powertap Pro

Post by easyroller »

Great review, thanks. I'd love to get my hands on one of these but alas budget doesn't allow that at present! Did you buy your PowerTap as a complete wheel or just as a hub and then get it built into a wheel of your own spec?
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Agree, great review. I too would love a method of power measurement though I'm watching the development of pedal based designs with interest as they're easier to switch from bike to bike, or even onto my indoor trainer.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Can I suggest the Review would have been more useful to someone like me if it started with a section about what a power meter is and how they are used? Your review is comprehensive in the technical aspects and no doubt useful for those who know what these gadgets are but for the ignorant like me a bit of scene setting would have helped me understand it.
EnquiringMind

Post by EnquiringMind »

Thanks for your feedback. I did sort of assume prior knowledge, didn't I?

I'll try to put together a primer.