Poor service from bike shops.

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Milfred Cubicle

Poor service from bike shops.

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I went into M.T.S. cycles in Durhan a few weeks ago. I said I was in the market for a new road bike, with about £1200 to spend.
In the world of road bike exotica, £1200 would not go far. But I wanted a decent alloy bike with a few nice components, as supplied by many brands for much less than £1200. The 'salesman' could have politely pointed out that they tend to cater for the higher end of the market. (The beautiful Colnago frames had alerted me to that fact). Instead, he pulled a face like I'd left something nasty in his fridge, and followed it up with something like 'You'll get nowt for that kind of money, especially not carbon...'
Oh really, I'm so glad you pointed that out, I've only been riding for 20+years, my mistake.
Perhaps I should have known better. I tried there years ago. At the time, all the staff were into downhill racing. When I asked if they had any road chainrings in stock, apparently there was ' No demand for road stuff, no one into it these days...'

Sorry chaps, my £1200 has gone elsewhere. I don't expect you to change your product range, just have a little courtesy with customers. If I'd been a 'non-cyclist' looking to get started in the sport, I would have remained so!

I remember as a kid, riding past a garage in Yorkshire. For some reason, there was a Ferrari on the forecourt. I was gazing at it wistfully when the salesman came out. Expecting to be told to bugger off, imagine my surprise when he pulled out the keys and started it up. Then he let me sit in it and blip the throttle! Joy!
I still can't afford one, and never will. But if I win the lottery, I'm going back to that garage, and buying the best car he has!
Courtesy...it goes a long way.
Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Personally I can't stand rudeness - especially when I'm about to spend money. Many times I have walked out of a shop saying "OK. I'll take my trade elsewhere".

People often forget that the best form of advertising is word of mouth - it can also be the worst form of advertising.

If I get good service in a a shop I'll tell people how good they are. Equally if they're rubbish I spread the word.

Another thing that goes a long way with me are people who say "Please" and "Thankyou". Good manners cost nothing but can take you a long way.
plm2441

Poor service in bike shops

Post by plm2441 »

:( The problem seems universal (or at least in UK and USA to judge by recent article in Bikerider.) My experiences in Australia have been much less off-hand or dismissive but any less than good service I have had has usually been from younger members of staff. They are usually 'earning a living' to pay for their racing careers not youngsters learning a craft. Shops would be better off employing non-racing staff who want to progress in the retail trade who are quite capable of learning the technical elements of bicycling and be good salemen at the same time.
leftpoole

Re: Poor service in bike shops

Post by leftpoole »

plm2441 wrote::( The problem seems universal (or at least in UK and USA to judge by recent article in Bikerider.) My experiences in Australia have been much less off-hand or dismissive but any less than good service I have had has usually been from younger members of staff. They are usually 'earning a living' to pay for their racing careers not youngsters learning a craft. Shops would be better off employing non-racing staff who want to progress in the retail trade who are quite capable of learning the technical elements of bicycling and be good salemen at the same time.

In my opinion it is just bike shops that have this problem. Even some which are generally thought of as good bike shops have an attitude.
John.
peanut

Post by peanut »

I think you should have asked to speak to the shops owner and told him .The last thing he would want is to alienate a potential customer. As a Company Director I can vouch for how hard and expensive it is to generate new customers and keep them.
Its not just your initial purchase that matters . Servicing and subsequent accessories and bits will probably generate even more profits.
That shop has not just lost you a s a customer they will probably lose everybody you speak to.
You would have to spend £thousands to reverse a bad reputation. Just look at the problems Ribble Cycles have had over the past 5+ years .! all due to a couple of ignorant stupid sales staff . Kids who were untrained and unsuitable.

What they should have done is what the car salesman did. Showed you their range of bikes ,made you feel like a valued customer and sow the seed of a dream for a higher value bike like a Colnago.
sarahm

Wrong bike

Post by sarahm »

I'm very new to cycling, so when I went to a cycle shop at the end of last year and explained that I was training to do a charity cycle ride in Cuba, doing 50 - 60 miles a day and that it would be on and off road , they suggested I get a hybrid. They showed me two, told me to have a ride round the block. When I got back they asked how it felt, I liked one and bought it.
Today I went to Rock n Road in Southampton as I've been having problems with my knees. I was there for nearly 2 hours. He said that I had completely the wrong bike, that the hybrid was good for cycling up to about 10 miles on the flat but that you could not get any power on longer hillier rides. Everytime I ride the bike, I'm only able to use the muscles just above my knee and it was also giving me pain down the sides of my knees. They were very good, they didn't charge me as he said there was nothing he could do to help.
I just want to say, be careful when buying a bike, make sure it is the proper size and type. Make sure the people selling the bike are experienced. By the looks of most of the people on this forum, you all buy very expensive bikes, I can't afford that. I wish I had spent more time looking around. Happy cycling everyone.
James1822

Post by James1822 »

It is possible you were recommended to buy a hybrid because the shop didnt have any tourers in stock, as most don't these days. Someone I know is looking for a tourer and can't find a single local shop that sells them, and he keeps getting pointed in the direction of hybrids. Hybrids do seem to have a more upright riding posture, which I am a bit surprised about, because if they are a 'cross between a mountain bike and a road bike' they should have a fairly forward posture and be capable of at least 30 miles a day if not 50-60. It sounds like Rock n Road are a good shop and I'm sure they would have tried changing the stem angle, handlebars or seat position. Check out this website about someone using a hybrid for touring: http://www.bicycletouring101.com/Hybrid ... ngBike.htm

It might be useful. Also, I seem to remember TV presenter Kate Humble using what looks like a hybrid on her Cuban bike ride:

http://www.katehumble.co.uk/viewlist.ph ... 0f313a4885

Even if the bike is unsuitable of touring, you shouldn't be getting the pain you describe. I suppose at least you have discovered a good place in Southampton.

I have just had probably the worst experience I've ever had in a bike shop. I took a bike in to a shop for a specific repair, and when I collected it the guy said 'who did you buy this bike off, do they know anything about bikes at all?' Not a good start - bad mouthing the previous owner/seller is one of the oldest rip off techniques in the book. The bike was second hand and in need of a bit of tidying up, but it was perfectly useable. As a moderately experienced cyclist who's done a bit of work on bikes on the years I knew he was just giving me loads of aggressive bluster. When I said that one of the other things I could do myself he got really aggressive and said 'why did you even bring it in if you don't want me to fix it?' I will never be going back to this shop and I will be advising everyone I know to avoid it and to go to a much better one in a town a few miles away.
DavyTee

Post by DavyTee »

Just like to say i had excellent service from my LBS In North Shields Tyne and Wear, TyneBikes on Rudyard Street.

My bearings had given out mid-ride popped bike into shop where the young member of staff was very friendly advised he would get onto it straight away. Within an hour bike was ready to go and not a bad price niether.

Excellent, would definately use again and recommend to anyone.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I have a hybrid and have done plenty of miles on it so far with no ill effect.

Knee pain is due to many factors. If you pedal too slowly and push really hard then you damage your knees. You need to keep your cadence high.

Knee pain is also a sign of the saddle being too low.

Knee pain, saddle too low.

Back pain, saddle too high.

And in my case, achilles tendon pain - saddle way too high (I leaned the hard way).

Place your heel on the pedal with the cranks at 90 degrees to the ground (straight down). Your leg should be straight but not locked out.

This should give you a good starting position with your leg slightly bent when the ball of your foot is on the pedal axle.
Caulkheader

East Street Cycles - Farnham

Post by Caulkheader »

I was recently in the market for a Mountain Bike to compliment my ageing tourer and went to East Street Cycles in Farnham, Surrey. I went in with a budget of about a grand and came out with a Gary Fisher for under £700.
I spent the best part of 2 hrs with Dom, who I hink is the store manager. He was patient and knowledgable about his stock and above all made time for me wanting me to leave with the correct product. I cant fault the service.
skiddie

Re: Poor service from bike shops.

Post by skiddie »

Milfred Cubicle wrote:I went into M.T.S. cycles in Durham a few weeks ago.

The place near the Claypath library (cycleforce? I'm not sure what it's called) is very friendly, if you're willing to wait to be served-- once you've got his attention, he has what you need, and smiles while giving it to you. Unfortunately I'm really shy, so I was put off buying my bike there. I should have, as I'm sure he would have done me right.

He has a number of road bikes in stock, and I'm sure he has what's in your price range.

(I only use "he" because I'm pretty sure it's essentially one guy who runs it)
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i have 4main bike shops in our town...and i visited one of them the other day to look for a spare & buy a tyre. it is a decent store with everything you could want. there was a young lad serving (bearing in mind im only 19myself) and he looked at me blankly whilst i explained about an old bike part...HE DIDNT HAVE A CLUE WHAT I WAS ASKING HIM?? then i tried to strike a conversation about a bike in the shop window...which is a higher spec model of mine...he give me the vague answer of 'ummmm...im not really sure'

i though you had to know SOMETHING about bikes to work in a bike shop!

from now on im going to go the small tiny shop out of town...where it may not be the best bike shop but at least the bloke knows his bikes!!!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Not all bike shops are like this. York Cycleworks usually go out of their way to help and seem to beable to cater for all requirements be it touring, of the peg road bkes or hybrids. They all seem enthusiasts and will go the extra mile to help their customers. Downside being they are ususally very busy!!
stephen

Post by stephen »

The fork on my Dawes hybrid fractured (metal fatigue?) My LBS spent 2 week before telling me none of their suppliers had a 700cm, 1 inch threaded fork in stock.

Edinburgh bike delivered one by return of post, more or less identical to the original, and free postage to boot.

Stephen
CathLaing

Are small independents better?

Post by CathLaing »

I was going to say that small independent shops seem better than big chains but our local Evans is really good. That said Baker St Bikes the independent out town is better!

I was doing the Coast and Castles earlier this year and the chain started slipping. Turned up on the doorstep of Wilson Bikes in Berwick-Upon-Tweed at 9.15 in the morning panniers and all and he fixed my bike in 45 mins. Double checked it was ok by making me cycle it around and charged me pennies. Don't know the bloke's name but he was brilliant.