Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
honesty

Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Post by honesty »

The blurb from here
Well-fitting chinos sharpen up even the most casual of looks. An elasticated waist allows for growth and promises extra comfort. Keep dry with our clever water repellent technology.
Style
Product Shape: Chinos
Fit: Tapered fit
Fastening: Button and zip
Unlined
Has Belt loops: Yes
Number of Pockets: Four
Detachable belt
Loop feature
Added stretch

Composition
98% cotton, 2% elastane

What the blurb doesn't mention:
    popper buttons on the inside of the leg hem
    Reflective bead on the inside of the leg cuff visible when you roll the leg up out of the chain way
    zipped rear pockets, and a zipped front valuables pocket
    slight padded triangle inside
    Rubber gripper strip inside the belt line to grip to shirts

I picked up a pair of the grey ones for work at the weekend and have so far worn them for today. Short term review is that they seem to work really well. The gripper belt line does help stop the trousers giving you builders crack and stops your shirt from popping out when riding as well, the poppers on the hems do a really good job of keeping the trouser leg out of my chain (though I'm not sure why if you can use them you would then roll the trouser leg up and get use from the reflective strip. I blame hipsters.) Other than not feeling the seam when riding I cant see much benefit from the padded triangle, fit is good, colour is decent - the grey is darker in real life than you can see on the website - though it would be better if they did black or navy as well, and the price at the moment (£32) is so much less than you would pay from cycling brands its ridiculous.

I've not had chance to test the water resistant claims made, but I'm sure the UK weather will oblige soon enough.
Sooper8

Re: Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Post by Sooper8 »

Interesting, and cheaper than Surface Liqui Stretch trousers.

I'd prefer to try them on before buying (are they only on-line at present or in stores?) but I would give them a go in grey.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I don't know. I bought mine online after going in the local store and not being able to find them. I think though that they are available in store its just that I could see them.

Also, the British weather gave me chance to test the water resistance on my commute home. Light misty showers with some proper rain, legs dry when I got home. Wouldn't want to use them in continuous rain or for a long time but for short journeys or showers definitely good. I won't be taking waterproof trousers with me from now on on my commute.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

honesty wrote:
Also, the British weather gave me chance to test the water resistance on my commute home. Light misty showers with some proper rain, legs dry when I got home. Wouldn't want to use them in continuous rain or for a long time but for short journeys or showers definitely good. I won't be taking waterproof trousers with me from now on on my commute.

I have some Surface Liqui Stretch shorts that sound like they are the same material blend as these. The water seems to runs straight off them in light rain.
These appeal to me, as they look smart enough to wear just about anywhere.
irc

Post by irc »

Sooper8 wrote:I'd prefer to try them on before buying (are they only on-line at present or in stores?) but I would give them a go in grey.

Don't forget M&S online purchases can be returned to any M&S store. Thanks to returning Mrs IRCs online buys while out for a pootle around the local area I'm on almost first name terms with the returns staff at M&S.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

33" maximum inside leg. Why do Marks think all cyclists are short? They do 35" & 37" inside legs in other trousers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TonyR wrote:33" maximum inside leg. Why do Marks think all cyclists are short? They do 35" & 37" inside legs in other trousers.

Perhaps they are trying to accommodate the people ignored by Rohan.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I succumbed to the special offer (& your review) & got a pair delivered to my local store. I'd tried to see them but neither of the locals ones had them in stock, they said I would have to try one of the big stores in Manchester.

First impressions are favourable they are a decent looking pair of "ordinary" trousers. I've yet to try them on the bike.

A couple of other things not mentioned elsewhere (or not that I've seen).

There are also reflectives flaps inside the rear pockets which you can hang out if they are unzipped. Incidentally, with the hem reflectives you can turn the hem up so they show & then popper the ankle. I think the poppers work better that way as they make a tucked in pleat rather than a sticking out flap.

There is a small D ring on the waist band which I presume is designed to be used with the security pocket for keys. The security pocket is somewhat small, I can't get my hand through the zip opening so wouldn't recommend putting things that you want to get out easily (although that does make it more secure - but fiddly).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
honesty

Post by honesty »

RickH wrote:
There are also reflectives flaps inside the rear pockets which you can hang out if they are unzipped. Incidentally, with the hem reflectives you can turn the hem up so they show & then popper the ankle. I think the poppers work better that way as they make a tucked in pleat rather than a sticking out flap.

I had not seen the reflectives on the back pockets. Thanks for pointing this out. To be fair I never use my back pockets so handn't unzipped them, but still.

And yes, you are right the poppers do work better after rolling up the hem then poppering them. I just dont like rolling them up at the moment. Its too cold! ;)

RickH wrote:There is a small D ring on the waist band which I presume is designed to be used with the security pocket for keys. The security pocket is somewhat small, I can't get my hand through the zip opening so wouldn't recommend putting things that you want to get out easily (although that does make it more secure - but fiddly).

Rick.

It is big enough for a phone to slip in and out of though, which is what I think its been designed for.
RickH

Post by RickH »

honesty wrote:And yes, you are right the poppers do work better after rolling up the hem then poppering them. I just dont like rolling them up at the moment. Its too cold! ;)

As I say I've not yet tried them on the bike, but I just turned the hem over (so the reflective piping was at the bottom of the legs) less than an inch shorter than in "normal" mode.

honesty wrote:It is big enough for a phone to slip in and out of though, which is what I think its been designed for.

Quite possibly, I hasn't thought of that having a "that's not a phone this is a phone" (in Crocodile Dundee fashion :shock: ) Asus Fonepad.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
honesty

Post by honesty »

My nexus 5 goes into it which isn't a small beast though!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Just managed to buy a pair of these - which wasn't easy, on my first visit they weren't yet in stock but they told me they'd had dozens of customers asking for them. Second visit they were in stock but not at that branch so I was sent further.

First impressions:-

Well, this is proof that I have conclusively joined the ranks of "old". My first item of clothing from Marks & Sparks and I love them. They are comfortably cut, stretch just enough for the bike, and are really nice to wear; the stretchy waist suits my advancing years!

I haven't had them out in the rain yet (I'm sure that'll come soon enough) but a quick sprinkling of water shows that they really do shed water like off a duck's back.

If you are ordering them online they are sized generously. I've taken my normal waist size but they feel loose. I also tried my normal inside leg and they were laughingly long, I've had to go a size smaller. Either their sizes are generous or I'm shrinking.

I'm so impressed I might buy another pair in the other colour just to take advantage while stocks last. This is a very niche product and I can't imagine Marks stocking them for long.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I speak as somebody who runs a mile from cycling in cotton trousers, because I don't like feeling as though I have dish-clothes slapping against my legs. I go for polyamide every time. I'd be really interested to hear what these are like in the rain when they have been washed a few times. In the meantime, I'll take the risk of them running out of stock.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the tip honesty - the click and collect and returns would be handy but I always prefer to try stuff so I'll see if M&S London Oxford Street has any.

ArMoRothair wrote:Well, this is proof that I have conclusively joined the ranks of "old". My first item of clothing from Marks & Sparks and I love them. Th.

Am surprised at that - never and socks or underpants? But you've definitely joined the ranks of the old by going for something boasting of an elasticated waist :) When I was younger I always used to scoff at those ads for in the back of papers - oldish gents proclaiming that these are "the most comfortable pair of trousers I've ever owned" as if they'd gone to heaven. Yeh, I used to think, perfect for slobbing in front of the telly, look like ***.
Sweep
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Only the Marble Arch branch has them.

PS only just discovered the reflective flaps to the rear pockets. Neat.