Patagonia outdoor clothing

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
horizon

Patagonia outdoor clothing

Post by horizon »

I don't know where to start when talking about Patagonia. I can't afford their products and TBH they don't seem to get onto my radar (they're more hiking than cycling). But as a company I am completely in awe of them. They tick every environmental and socially responsible box that any cyclist might be concerned about. In my view they are the best company on the planet.

Here's a link to the new park (yes, park!) they've established in Chile and a link to their website:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.g ... 1014b_btna

http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enGB/home

At least have a read and get a good feeling!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Re: Patagonia outdoor clothing

Post by Bonefishblues »

...and their Founder's an avid fisherman, too :D

ETA
You've prompted me to buy Yvon Chouinard's book about the company, thanks (although I confess my first instinct was to look for it on Amazon :oops: , so best look elsewhere)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Was down there in February. Lovely place, lovely people. Estancia is a Spanish corruption of the word station, as in sheep station, because the very first sheep stations in Patagonia were established by Australians. Back in the 1800s there weren't enough people so people were invited to develop the land. So lots of English, Russians, Yugoslavs and Aussies migrated there. A very beautiful and peaceful place and the Guanacos are everywhere. Gauchos on horseback with motley sheepdogs shepherd the sheep. As for the clothing I'll be sticking to Decathlon.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have two of their winter base layer, best I have ever had.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mrs BFB still speaks fondly of her Capilene base layer long after its demise (no, really, she does!)
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

A sad irony of post-Pinochet Chile has been the massive privatization of Patagonia. Since the late 1990s, Patagonia has been rapidly transformed into a privately owned playground for the rich, but one can only laud the efforts of the conservationists and, in that respect, Patagonia Inc deserves some credit. While it's hard to verify whatever noble aims and achievements they claim, I'm willing to believe it's not all marketing BS. As for their clothing, it's pricey but well made. I still regularly wear a jacket I bought from them over twenty years ago that has stood up to massive abuse from climbing on granite, gabbro, and gritstone. :D
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Hello my name is ArMoRothair and I have a bit of a Patagonia problem. I've been buying their gear for thirty years now and the condition has spread to my partner and we are in danger of infecting our daughter with it. Indeed today she is wearing a Patagonia waterproof - I, of course, am wearing a Patagonia fleece, gilet and waterproof jacket.

The condition is exasperated by the fact that they have a factory outlet in Dublin, which we often visit to see family, and no visit to Dublin is complete without a binge-shop in Wicklow Street. The ready availability of cheap Patagonia gear, albeit in last-year's colours, is too much to resist.

You would think that by now we would have reached peak-Patagonia but this condition knows no bounds.

The only saving grace is, they don't do bike gear. If they did there would be no hope for us.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've been waiting in vain for them to open a UK Outlet Shop. On balance it's probably best it hasn't.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

You might have to wait a while for a UK outlet as I noticed a few weeks ago that they'd quietly shut there flagship shop in Covent Garden, London.

Never been a huge fan and not 100% sure about there enviromental crudentials to be honest.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Started flicking through Yvon C's book "Let my People Go Surfing" last night - clearly an interesting history and philosophy. I'll form a more informed view when I've properly read it.

Interestingly, I do tend to believe the hype re the environmental credentials, having followed them for many many years. My beef is that one of their specific products for my main passion isn't as well-designed as some of the competition IMHO (says he, having bought a job-lot of 4 shirts based on their reputation!). Although to be fair I do have others that are just excellent...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Update - yep, having read YC's book I believe it's a sincere attempt to minimise environmental harm on Patagonia's part, often at the expense (perhaps?) of commercial gain.

An interesting read.
PH

Post by PH »

Santa brought me a parka, it's the nicest piece of non cycling clothing I have, tempted to turn the heating off and open some windows so I can wear it all the time.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I've had some of their base layer t-shirts for years for walking, they just seem to go on forever and look pretty much like new, so I've never had to try their recycling options.

I think if I had a company like this these days I wouldn't be spending a fortune on a shop in the centre of London, I'd sell through other people's shops and the web. Expensive own-brand premises are just a liability unless part of what people are buying is the 'shopping experience'.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I first saw the Patagonia brand in a shop called Up and Under in Cardiff. I didn't have the money at the time to buy any of it, but it looked quirky and interesting. I wasn't really aware of their environmental credentials. So fair play to them. (checking out up and under they seem to have a sale on the base layers at the moment!)%