Cycling Magazines

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
PaulB

Re: Cycling Magazines

Post by PaulB »

I used to buy loads of cycling magazines but get very few now. Regular reads were; Cycling Weekly, Cycle Sport, ProCycling, Cycling Active, Cycling World, A to B and VeloVision. These days I'm down to VeloVision (which is currently only published twice a year), Road Bike Action (USA), Adventure Cyclist (USA) and Ride Review which is Australian but now has a quarterly UK edition.

Cycling Weekly went Sportive and fitness mad, Cycle Sport became obsessed with doping and turned into the Team Sky fanzine, ProCycling changed format and price and printed stuff I could find on the internet, Cycling Active turned into a catalogue and A to B became the Brompton Fanzine.

Cycling World used to be a good read for those of us who enjoy riding for pleasure rather than performance. It was written by hobby cyclists and was not a slick, glossy catalogue of the latest products. It became erratic in its publication dates and was not available for months on end. Now it is the same as all the other "Lycra brigade" magazines; even the covers look very similar to the other sportive-tastic publications.

The UK does not appear to be able to produce a cycling magazine that can separate the act of riding a bike from sport and performance. Still it's saved me a few bob!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bunyan Velo is worth a read:- http://bunyanvelo.com/issues/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

reohn2 wrote:Bunyan Velo is worth a read:- http://bunyanvelo.com/issues/

Does look interesting but judging by the cover pic of issue 5 on that link even that mag appears to feel that it has to make concessions to the macho action style of riding - I wouldn't be looking as insanely happy as that chap if my fully loaded bike was doing that.

And it's hardly a demanding trail is it?
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PaulB wrote:........The UK does not appear to be able to produce a cycling magazine that can separate the act of riding a bike from sport and performance. Still it's saved me a few bob!

IMHO,it's more likely that cyclists who aren't sport/performance ''inspired'' :?,aren't sat at home reading and drooling over the latest uber technical/light confections or how quick they can get from A to B,but are more likely to be out riding their bike and enjoying it :) .
It seems practical cycling and touring tend to be a small minority compared with the Strava(yawn)crowd
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sweep wrote:

Does look interesting but judging by the cover pic of issue 5 on that link even that mag appears to feel that it has to make concessions to the macho action style of riding - I wouldn't be looking as insanely happy as that chap if my fully loaded bike was doing that.

I know what you mean,but check out the content,the magazine's free and can be a very interesting read :)
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

reohn2 wrote:
Sweep wrote:

I know what you mean,but check out the content,the magazine's free and can be a very interesting read :)

TBH I thought it more a 'comedy/self mocking pic of someone just being silly and having fun on a bike' than a macho one!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, especially in a Z Peugeot helmet! The '80s live!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm impressed, in the context, to see it has adverts. Relevant ones: Salsa, Kona, Surly, Genesis, and the like.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Just returning to this subject as I was in WHS yesterday looking for a couple of magazines to take with me on holiday. The cycling section was bulging with publications but - they were all the same! The covers were interchangeable and the contents were all carbon fibre and lycra; with diets and training for a sportive type articles. There is nothing wrong with any of those subjects but that is all there appeared to be. Every cycling magazine was aiming at the same market. Fortunately, Adventure Cyclist arrived from the USA this morning so my holiday reading has been saved!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

New(ish) edition of Bunyan Velo published.

http://bunyanvelo.com/issues/
Nu-Fogey
pga

Post by pga »

British cycling mags tend to follow the US models which are more about products than experience. I still take Cycling Weekly which tries to take an all round approach. The most enjoyable reads for me are the Veteran-Cycle Club newsletter News and Views and its journal The Boneshaker. V-CC membership recommended for those interested in the development of the cycle up to about 1982 when aero brake/shifters, clipless pedals, and non steel frames took over.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Bicycle Quarterly, touring articles, ever fatter lighter road tires and science experiments.

Bicycle Times, touring, utilitarian, urban

Peloton, craft beer, useless 1 page reviews, but good longer articles, Horton Collection photos.

The Boneshaker, from the VCC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Recently took out a three month subscription to Readly which has several cycling mags available, e.g. Cycling Weekly, Cycling Plus, Rouleur, Cycle Sport (discontinued but back issues available), Cycling Active (also discontinued), Bicycling, Cycling Fitness.
Also has hundreds of other magazines on all subjects, including the BBC mags, Amateur Photographer, Trail, etc.
They can be read online or downloaded to a device.
All for £7.99 a month.
There's also a free two day trial available.
Heltor Chasca

Cycling Magazines

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've been sent 3 mags as a hook recently. The road and MTB ones are same-old-same-old, but I REALLY have enjoyed the 'Urban Cyclist'. I'm the least urban person I now I think so this is a great surprise. I think I'll go for a subscription. Clever sales people. I get 3 free copies so still time to change my mind.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

scottg wrote:Bicycle Quarterly, touring articles, ever fatter lighter road tires and science experiments.

Bicycle Times, touring, utilitarian, urban

Peloton, craft beer, useless 1 page reviews, but good longer articles, Horton Collection photos.

The Boneshaker, from the VCC

As opposed to Boneshaker, nothing to do with the VCC: http://boneshakermag.com