Garmin VIRB

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
RickH

Re: Garmin VIRB

Post by RickH »

Very happy with wet weather performance of the camera (apart from the inevitable raindrop distortion on the video). Even with a USB lead poked in the back (connected to a power pack) & no additional measures to keep water out, there were no problems last week on a very wet tandem ride of 91 miles with it running (but not always filming) for around 9.5 hours. It didn't rain ALL the time but, even when it wasn't, there was pretty much continuous spray being kicked up from surface water on the roads. There didn't, however, seem to be any sign of dampness under the partly open rubber flap at the back.

My other, unconnected observations so far are
  • If you can do, mount the camera directly to the base. Don't use the additional connectors unless you need to, as they aren't completely rigid and can introduce unwanted camera vibrations.
  • With the camera mounted under the bars, watch out if brake/gear cables looping near the camera could switch off recording by sliding the switch during low speed manoeuvres - I had that happen when I tried mounting it there on my road bike for a ride yesterday (it happened near the start of the ride & I didn't notice til the end - ended up with 13s of video :? ).
Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
rmurphy195

Re: Garmin VIRB

Post by rmurphy195 »

Well, I've been playing with this for a month now, and so far my comments are as below.

I use this item mounted on the bike handlebars using the kit provided.

Picture is very susceptible to changes in lighting - on a sunny day on a tree-lined road it doesn't cope very well.

Sound is very very poor - wind noise is a problem, and with the bike mounting every little ping and twang from the bike (even tyre and chain noise) gets picked up by the mic, but voice pickup is poor to non-existent even turned upside down so the mike is facing me.

It's a shame the kit does not include a helmet mount, so I can't try that out without buying one as extra. Also it does not include a stand-alone charger for the spare battery, it just needs the battery holder, not all the plugs and connections for the (overpriced) charger kit.

On a more positive note it does do what I bought it for (evidence in case of a collision), and works in rain without an additional casing. It looks a bit like a lamp when mounted on the bike (i.e. is quite discrete) and is very easy to switch on and off. Slips into a pocket when off the bike, and clips into/out of the mounting positively.

Ignoring the sound, you can get cracking picture quality especially on 1080p. Battery seems to last longer with the lower quality setting, and using PAL (25fps) instead of NTSC (30 FPS)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !