Lion Bellworks (Bicycle Bells)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
deliquium

Lion Bellworks (Bicycle Bells)

Post by deliquium »

Several forum members have purchased these rather nice bells. I have acquired 3 over time to use on different bikes - I like them to look at on my handlebars (or below, mounted in a quill stem washer position) and I like using them :)

I wanted to change one from a headset mount to a handlebar mount. Unfortunately the website doesn't offer the latter as a separate item (unlike the former for £3.95+post). I emailed an enquiry about purchasing just the handlebar clamp.

Within hours I had a response from John Beirne - asking for my handlebar diameter and address as one would be put in the post free of charge :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Psamathe

Re: Lion Bellworks (Bicycle Bells)

Post by Psamathe »

Excellent.

Question (as I'm considering one): The pinging bit (weight thingy on the sprint you twang - not a good description); does it or could it ring the bell when you go over a hard bump or pothole. i.e. how stiff is the spring.

(If the question makes no sense and even I'm uncertain having re-read it, then do ask for clarification and I'll try and translate).

Ian
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Psamathe wrote:Excellent.

Question (as I'm considering one): The pinging bit (weight thingy on the sprint you twang - not a good description); does it or could it ring the bell when you go over a hard bump or pothole. i.e. how stiff is the spring.

(If the question makes no sense and even I'm uncertain having re-read it, then do ask for clarification and I'll try and translate).

Ian

NO. The stainless steel spring is robust, as is the whole thing. More so that than the Velo Orange cheaper lacquered thinner bell, which has a tinkle sound :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

I bought one of these recently and agree that its very nice. But there are a couple of small things to be aware of:
  • (OK, this is a really minor point, but anyway...) the "Urban" version is made from a nickel alloy, and on the web site it looks to be a silver colour, but it actually has a yellowish tinge to it (presumably from the copper content), which doesn't really go with my bike's grey/silver/black colours
  • I got the stem mount fitting, to use on my Ahead steerer. It fits OK and works, but it tends to rotate on the steerer since there's nothing positive to hold it in place. I expect it would be fine on a quill stem under the lock nut, which can be tightened more aggressively than is advisable on an Ahead system
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

nosmarbaj wrote:[*]I got the stem mount fitting, to use on my Ahead steerer. It fits OK and works, but it tends to rotate on the steerer since there's nothing positive to hold it in place. I expect it would be fine on a quill stem under the lock nut, which can be tightened more aggressively than is advisable on an Ahead system[/list]

It should be held just as firmly as your headset spacers, ie it should rotate with your handlebars. If it doesn't, then it sounds to me as if you've not got enough stem preload. I'm assuming you have it below the stem. If you have your steerer cut long enough that you're using spacers above the stem and you've got the bell there, then perhaps it could be loose, though again I'd have thought it unlikely as it's still under the top cap.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Please be aware of two things regarding Lion Bells.

One, don't let your grandson ping it over and over again, and pull the spring as it over-stretches it and ruins it.
Lion Bellworks will replace the spring unit free of charge! :D

Two, after a few years, you get erroneous dings.
Sorted both bells on the two bikes now, by using a short section of heatshrink do dampen the spring so it doesn't ding over bumps.

All work beautifully now on both bikes.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=136784
Mick F. Cornwall
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
nosmarbaj wrote:[*]I got the stem mount fitting, to use on my Ahead steerer. It fits OK and works, but it tends to rotate on the steerer since there's nothing positive to hold it in place. I expect it would be fine on a quill stem under the lock nut, which can be tightened more aggressively than is advisable on an Ahead system[/list]

It should be held just as firmly as your headset spacers, ie it should rotate with your handlebars. If it doesn't, then it sounds to me as if you've not got enough stem preload. I'm assuming you have it below the stem. If you have your steerer cut long enough that you're using spacers above the stem and you've got the bell there, then perhaps it could be loose, though again I'd have thought it unlikely as it's still under the top cap.

It does rotate with the handlbars, but over time it gradually moves round relative to them, probably because it gets pushed very slightly every time I ring the bell (which is quite often if I'm on the local towpath). The preload is correct i.e. no looseness in the bearings, and the bell is mounted below the stem. It's not a big deal as I can just reposition it from time to time - but it is mildly irritating.