Lidl

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
greyingbeard

Lidl

Post by greyingbeard »

Some of their cycling stuff is very good, especially for the money

I just took a couple of things back that I want happy with, no quibble or fuss.
Didnt wait at the till for a supervisor to approve a refund, building queue, better things to do, so I did my shopping, cash was waiting for me in a sealed bag when I got back there. Spent it on beer and toothpaste.....

Cant grumble at that
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Lidl

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
like with every thing you never know.

I would like one of the big shops to do budget gear all the time but sort some really useful quality stuff.

Had 2 HR monitors which have lasted well but th last one has faulted so it will go back, same manufacturer too.
Normally LIDL don't quibble at all, I complained that they over charged me and hadn't four of my favourite foods to the website and paid what they owed me plus a five quid voucher :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cycling gear coming up, work stand now £24.99 :) 21 3 16
17 3 16 , bought some powerfix GS work gloves at £4.99, ideal cycling winter gloves with padded palm.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

This is just my personal experience - I've said some of it before on previous threads which asked the same questions.

I've found the cycling jerseys very good value - quality OK, but remembering the price, as I say, good value. Just watch the sizing, because I've found that they vary a bit from year to year..............but to be fair, I've only had two.

The track pump was rubbish - came to pieces in my hand and the connector kept blowing off the valves.

The cycle stand for the price was, and still is, brilliant. Not robust enough for commercial bike shop use, but fine for my use.

The rechargeable AA batteries were all very slightly larger in diameter than other, mainstream, rechargeable batteries, making them difficult to get out of some lamps, and being held rigid they don't always move about to maintain contact with the contacts. I've had several - this wasn't a one-off.

The tools were useless.

The battery charger was, and still is, brilliant.

The switches in the lights were of, shall we say, varying reliability - I don't use the lights.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I bought a pair of track mitts a couple of years ago and when we went back, I bought another pair. They seemed really good quality. £3 or so a pair.

I wasn't until I actually rode with a pair, that I saw the error of my ways. There's no padding in the thumb area at all! They were awful in use, but looked excellent. They may be ok for flat bars, but riding with drops and holding the hoods wasn't good at all.

The second pair are still connected by the nylon tie and still have the cardboard label on. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes quality can vary.
They did sell green colour long life rechargables but they have bought back the normal grey ones recently.
Battery charger for six batts or just the one works great.
I use the windstopper tops (100 gram) every ride at the moment, bought most of them in a sale, which they do not do anymore.
Cycling tops are good quality for the very low price.
Cycling gloves have varied in usefulness.
Stand is a must for any even occasional user.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I feel obliged to give a review for their cycle computers. Before I do though, I have to say their marketing (of cycle gear anyway) seems rather ill-informed/poorly planned: They seem to generally have a cycle special at Easter time- that seems a good move, but don't follow it up with similar around the same time as the Tour de France, which seems like an opportunity lost. Anyway, back to the computers....... when I saw them about 18 months ago they were wired ones at (IIRC) £5.99, but I wanted a wireless so didn't buy. Forward to this year, and again they were advertised with no clue (not even in the photos) of whether they were wired or wireless at £6.99! They turned out to be wireless this time so I bought one and found it to be first class, so went back the next day and bought 2 more. First outing and computer#1 froze at 16.6 mph after some 16 miles... Hmm. I stopped at roadside. removed battery and replaced to no avail, then I remembered from the instructions an 'instruction' that it can all be cleared if the battery is removed and the comp contacts shorted out - I'm no electronics whizz, so why would this would be other than some stored voltage? Anyway it worked, and has worked without fault ever since. Strangely computer#2 did the same thing at a similar mileage (but different road, so unlikely to be an interference issue) and I followed the procedure and all has been well. I don't know about computer#3 as I've not taken it out of packet yet :roll:
Apart from this (small & mysterious) irritation on first usage the product is great IMHO (and especially at £6.99)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My experience with their Wireless is different I have several some still in packet.
The first used to eat batteries in the sender (12v old very small aaa style)
The second the head unit let in water after about 6 - 9 months.
The third packs up below 5C.
I will probably use the others till they stop.
They do change the model every other month.

My old wired Tri Pro about 15 - 20 years old still works, but one of three I own has now developed a fault.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

What about their half decent bakery products? Nothing like a half decent pain au chocolate or doughnut part way through a ride and while variable, the quality routinely exceeds that of all local bakeries (And quite simply far better than any of the larger supermarkets, including the local Waitrose)
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Jhmjj
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

gbnz wrote:What about their half decent bakery products? Nothing like a half decent pain au chocolate or doughnut part way through a ride and while variable, the quality routinely exceeds that of all local bakeries (And quite simply far better than any of the larger supermarkets, including the local Waitrose)

I don't know what type of Lidl's you have but the 2 around here only do parbaked stuff which has chemicals added. They half-bake and then add chemicals and freeze and finish off cooking instore. Most of the large supermarkets have dedicated bakeries. Parbaked is the same format as some petrol stations and local stores. It's not ideal and it tends to go off sooner but doesn't mean it doesn't taste nice. I try to avoid it because its less healthy and its more processed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parbaking
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Talking of food.
I had to complain about my local store, I was insulted four times in two years by the same till operator :?
Even when I called the manager, and he agreed with me it did not stop the till operator from carrying on with insults..............straight after he left us...

I have probably complained for one reason or another for such as quality of food and mis-billing.................

I am due to complain again about lack of taste with products I have been buying for some time that have been excellent, three in fact which have all lost their taste, its not me even though I do have taste problems off and on, er says its no good either.

I had to complain to Sainsburys at least six times in a year for various problems with home delivery's of crushed frozen food...........
I don't always consume frozen goods for some time after buying and a few days ago more crushed frozen goods when opening box :(

Not sure what is going on at the moment.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Bought chainsaw from them had difficulty starting it but I do with my stihl chainsaw. After 2 years 9 month I broke the pull. Rung up (ein hell) and they said they would send someone out to collect the chainsaw. I pointed out it was just the pull. So they said they would just send that side part out. What they actually sent was a .....replacement chain!! Rung up and the right part arrived the next day. 3 year guarantees for a chainsaw which got a hammering for nearly 3 years and superb customer service. What more can you ask for?.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Yes quality can vary. [...] I use the windstopper tops (100 gram) every ride at the moment, bought most of them in a sale, which they do not do anymore.

Softshell breathable wind/waterproof jacket from spring 2016 (I think) is pilling after a maybe less than a month of regular use. Disappointing and I'll probably go back to my 2013 tenn windstopper for this spring which has just started pilling and one pocket zip has gone temperamental. I've had other crivit stuff (gloves, panniers, thermals) which has been fine, but I probably won't try their jackets again soon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Yes quality can vary. [...] I use the windstopper tops (100 gram) every ride at the moment, bought most of them in a sale, which they do not do anymore.

Softshell breathable wind/waterproof jacket from spring 2016 (I think) is pilling after a maybe less than a month of regular use. Disappointing and I'll probably go back to my 2013 tenn windstopper for this spring which has just started pilling and one pocket zip has gone temperamental. I've had other crivit stuff (gloves, panniers, thermals) which has been fine, but I probably won't try their jackets again soon.

We all have had mixed views at lidl.
Some of their stuff is very good and some not so and disappointing.

Its a pity that their good stuff sometimes only appears once, Aldi no different.