9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ValentinoGod
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 May 2017, 4:36pm

9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby ValentinoGod » 16 May 2017, 5:32pm

Hi all,

Firstly I just want to say I've been browsing these forums for a couple of months and the help and support everyone gives is fantastic.

On that note, I would much appreciate any help people have! I'm doing a 9 day solo LEJOG for charity, starting on the 20th July.
The only thing I have booked thus far is the train to penzance and the train home, so still very much in the planning stage - but need to get a move on! I'd obviously like to go the more scenic routes where possible, but appreciate that 9 days won't be a walk in the park so will have to get a move on in places.

I have done a bit of reading, and based on routes people have suggested I've plumped for this route (I didn't create it) :
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21201709
Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what are the best places to stop on this route, I've gone for these places purely based on distance (haven't checked if they have b&b's yet), but i will probably deviate quite a lot, so suggestions would be very welcome!

My only requisite is that I don't want to go LE to Okehampton first day, would rather ease myself in and make up distance on the later, flatter days. Day 5 and 6 do seem too far though!

Day 1: LE to Launceston (160)
Day 2: Launceston (160) to Wedmore (315)
Day 3: Wedmore (315) to Bedstone (500)
Day 4: Bedstone (500) to Ashton in Makerfield (680)
Day 5: Ashton in Makerfield (680) to Carlisle (900)
Day 6: Carlisle (900) to Dumbarton (1150)
Day 7: Dumbarton (1150) to Fort William (1292)
Day 8: Fort William (1292) to Alness (1425)
Day 9: Alness (1425) to JOG (1585)

Thanks
Greg

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 2208
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 55°14′26.07″N 03°23′43.93″W

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby Paulatic » 16 May 2017, 7:47pm

I've had a look at the area I commonly cycle in which is Lancaster to Sth of Glasgow.
The route, to me, seems a little odd for someone who wants to 'get on'.
My comments are:
In Lancaster, don't follow that track as whoever made it must have got lost. Just follow the A6. Personally I'd dive down Damside street and cross the millennium bridge.

Later in Cumbria, nice as it is going along the side of Bassenthwaite I wouldn't want to end up on the A595. For scenery Threlkeld Mungrisdale Hesketh Newmarket and head for Dalston would be my preference. For 'getting on' I'd just go straight up the A6 to Penrith.

As mentioned in a very recent thread no one goes via Longtown anymore. That's an old route before the Mway opened.

Once again whoever made that track got lost in Dumfries or needed shopping. Where the route meets the A701 I'd turn right there and then left head for Kirkton, Dalswinton, Auldgirth. After Auldgirth cross the A75 and across the river then pick up a lovely wee lane runs on the left of river Nith and then joins your original route. If I were in a hurry though the route74 while it can have a rough surface in places is far easier navigation and more directly North.
if you just stand still you can never lose your way

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/2017/03/0 ... ng-gov-uk/

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 38141
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby Mick F » 16 May 2017, 8:08pm

Good on yer!
Well done, and I wish you well and good weather too. :D

Paulatic wrote:I've had a look at the area I commonly cycle ................
The route, to me, seems a little odd for someone who wants to 'get on'.
Utterly agree.

From LE ........ if you want to 'get on' .............

LE/Hayle/Connor Downs/Camborne/Redruth/Blackwater/A30/Zelah/A30/St Newlyn East/White Cross/St Columb Major/A39/Wadebridge/Camelford/A395/Egloskerry/St Stephens/A388/Old A30/Sourton/Okehampton/Crediton/Tiverton/A38/Bristol/A38/Gloucester/Ledbury/A49/Leominster/Ludlow/Church Stretton/Shrewsbury/Whitchurch .......... and on and on.

........... Carlisle/Lanark/Bathgate/Forth Road Bridge/Old A90/Perth/A9/Inverness/Latheron/A99/JOG
or Carlisle/Edinburgh/FRB/Old A90 etc.
Mick F. Cornwall

irc
Posts: 4126
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 2:22pm
Location: glasgow

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby irc » 17 May 2017, 6:12am

I don't think the Carlisle - Dumbarton day is good. For a fast flatter day with quieter roads stick with the old A74 (B7076) north from Gretna - Larkhall then Hamilton - Bothwell - A74 into Glasgow (low traffic as through traffic on M8). Then A814 (not A82!) to Bowling to rejoin your route.

But Mick's eastern route may be better. The A82 from Crianlarich to Glen Coe is scenic but busy. Needs a tolerance for 70mph traffic overtaking closely.

irc
Posts: 4126
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 2:22pm
Location: glasgow

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby irc » 17 May 2017, 6:14am

irc wrote:I don't think the Carlisle - Dumbarton day is good. For a fast flatter day with quieter roads stick with the old A74 (B7076) north from Gretna - Larkhall then Hamilton - Bothwell - A74 into Glasgow (low traffic as through traffic on M8). Then A814 (not A82!) to Bowling to rejoin your route.

But Mick's eastern route may be better. The A82 from Crianlarich to Glen Coe is scenic but busy. Needs a tolerance for 70mph traffic overtaking closely.


Edit and there is a more direct route to Gretna just east of the M6/M74. No need for the dog leg to the east as per your map.

User avatar
ferrit worrier
Posts: 4881
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 7:58pm
Location: south Manchester

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby ferrit worrier » 19 May 2017, 11:42am

irc wrote:
irc wrote:I don't think the Carlisle - Dumbarton day is good. For a fast flatter day with quieter roads stick with the old A74 (B7076) north from Gretna - Larkhall then Hamilton - Bothwell - A74 into Glasgow (low traffic as through traffic on M8). Then A814 (not A82!) to Bowling to rejoin your route.

But Mick's eastern route may be better. The A82 from Crianlarich to Glen Coe is scenic but busy. Needs a tolerance for 70mph traffic overtaking closely.


Edit and there is a more direct route to Gretna just east of the M6/M74. No need for the dog leg to the east as per your map.


Spot on, head out of Carlisle towards the M6/M74 as you approach the motorway there is a shopping /industrial complex on your left, you'll need to feed your way through it to get onto the rout irc is proposing. I've used it three times and each time the way through the complex has changed so I cant guide you on that bit. It's a good route and reasonably quiet and will take you to Gretna. look for a small shopping complex on your right at the roundabout go between the complex and a large pub, look for the signs for the B7076 (right turn) under the railway up to the Gretna green wedding venue "thingummy" from memory that should be a "T" junction turn left and head north :lol: head up to Moffat onto the A701 then pick up the B7078 at Abington that takes you right into Glasgow the A82 out of Glasgow is a busy road but I've found it gets quieter the further you get out from the city. turn right at Tarbet. there is a rock wall on your left for a few miles but there are places to "get out of the way " if you get traffic behind you. that in my opinion is the worst bit and I didn't find it all that bad. but I'm used to commuting in traffic.

see Mick F's suggestion for the A30 avoidance it's well worth it and if you can get to Okehampton you'll get a good nights rest at Betty Cottles well worth it. ( watch out for the cider at the bar it's potent :oops: )

Good luck
Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 2208
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 55°14′26.07″N 03°23′43.93″W

Re: 9 day LEJOG - HELP!

Postby Paulatic » 19 May 2017, 1:42pm

ferrit worrier wrote:
irc wrote:
irc wrote:I don't think the Carlisle - Dumbarton day is good. For a fast flatter day with quieter roads stick with the old A74 (B7076) north from Gretna - Larkhall then Hamilton - Bothwell - A74 into Glasgow (low traffic as through traffic on M8). Then A814 (not A82!) to Bowling to rejoin your route.

But Mick's eastern route may be better. The A82 from Crianlarich to Glen Coe is scenic but busy. Needs a tolerance for 70mph traffic overtaking closely.


Edit and there is a more direct route to Gretna just east of the M6/M74. No need for the dog leg to the east as per your map.


Spot on, head out of Carlisle towards the M6/M74 as you approach the motorway there is a shopping /industrial complex on your left, you'll need to feed your way through it to get onto the rout irc is proposing. I've used it three times and each time the way through the complex has changed so I cant guide you on that bit. It's a good route and reasonably quiet and will take you to Gretna. look for a small shopping complex on your right at the roundabout go between the complex and a large pub, look for the signs for the B7076 (right turn) under the railway up to the Gretna green wedding venue "thingummy" from memory that should be a "T" junction turn left and head north :lol: head up to Moffat onto the A701 then pick up the B7078 at Abington that takes you right into Glasgow the A82 out of Glasgow is a busy road but I've found it gets quieter the further you get out from the city. turn right at Tarbet. there is a rock wall on your left for a few miles but there are places to "get out of the way " if you get traffic behind you. that in my opinion is the worst bit and I didn't find it all that bad. but I'm used to commuting in traffic.

see Mick F's suggestion for the A30 avoidance it's well worth it and if you can get to Okehampton you'll get a good nights rest at Betty Cottles well worth it. ( watch out for the cider at the bar it's potent :oops: )

Good luck
Malc

Unless you want to go to Moffat there is no need to go on the A701. For the half a mile of it passing Beattock there is an adequate cycleway on the left.
if you just stand still you can never lose your way

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/2017/03/0 ... ng-gov-uk/


Return to “Lands End to John O'Groats”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests