Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
cycle tramp
Posts: 497
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby cycle tramp » 9 Feb 2019, 10:55pm

Does anyone know the number of cyclists who complete the lands end to John o'groats tour every year? Andl if so are the figures displayed anywhere?

(One of my local towns could be considered 'on route and the council is looking to invest in better cycling facilities. If I can prove to the council that a decent improvement could attract more visitors into the town without an increase in motor traffic, then I may get more councillors interested)

User avatar
john4703
Posts: 234
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire, Scotland

Re: Does anyone know the.....

Postby john4703 » 9 Feb 2019, 11:19pm

Have you also posted this on the LEJOG section? You might get a response there.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1798
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby Ben@Forest » 10 Feb 2019, 8:19am

cycle tramp wrote:
(One of my local towns could be considered 'on route and the council is looking to invest in better cycling facilities. If I can prove to the council that a decent improvement could attract more visitors into the town without an increase in motor traffic, then I may get more councillors interested)


It might be worth telling us what town. People could then tell you whether they've been through it and their experience.

For my part Dumfries was infuriating, it had a good series of cycle paths but only with local signs, which made navigating 'out' difficult. I must have used the B725 towards Annan because l would have avoided the A75. It was a longish JOGLE!

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 3742
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby Paulatic » 10 Feb 2019, 9:09am

In answer to the OP. No and no.
For evidence of E2E passing through your town compile a list of quotes taken from E2E blogs and let the councillors see them. I’ve done that myself and found it useful as anything to do with tourist opinions seems to make them prick their ears.

In answer to Ben, I assume you are referring to route7 through Dumfries? Note taken and will pass onto those with influence. The B725 is a lot of R7 I suspect you might have missed the section through a park and along the side of the Nith.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

PH
Posts: 6819
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby PH » 10 Feb 2019, 12:18pm

Even if you knew the numbers, you'd still have no idea how many passed close to your town. There isn't really a route though some without the desire to do their own thing follow someone else's. I've cycled through Dumfries but it's nowhere near my JoGLE route.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1798
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby Ben@Forest » 11 Feb 2019, 7:31am

Paulatic wrote:In answer to Ben, I assume you are referring to route7 through Dumfries? Note taken and will pass onto those with influence. The B725 is a lot of R7 I suspect you might have missed the section through a park and along the side of the Nith.


That day l started in Dalmellington thru Monaiave to Dumfries. I remember reaching the town, cycle paths around the centre and a series of well-posted signs but only to very local destinations in or around Dumfries. I don't remember seeing Route 7 signs but one thing l learned doing JOGLE was that such signs can be impossibly small sometimes (stuck around lamp posts and so on).

It was frustrating as the cycling infrastructure seemed good, and signs just saying 'Annan (via B725)' would have helped! That day finished in Penrith and l arrived pretty early so it couldn't have held me up much tho! This all dates from 2013 so could all be OOD now.

eileithyia
Posts: 7719
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby eileithyia » 11 Feb 2019, 8:08am

South side of Preston to north side, from Walton le Dale / Bamber bridge area to Fulwood is similarly served by a wonderful array of minor roads and cycle routes, but only signposted to local areas / city centre etc.... I do have a couple of through routes local cyclists have developed and linked up over the years, and have regularly explained the route on here..... but out of towners it is all a mystery....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

1982john
Posts: 352
Joined: 3 Nov 2012, 9:29pm
Contact:

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby 1982john » 12 Feb 2019, 10:20am

PH wrote:Even if you knew the numbers, you'd still have no idea how many passed close to your town. There isn't really a route though some without the desire to do their own thing follow someone else's. I've cycled through Dumfries but it's nowhere near my JoGLE route.


But if you knew that x number of people did E2E every year and say only 5% visited your town you could argue the case that with better infrastructure there is potential for this to improve.

ANTONISH
Posts: 1535
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby ANTONISH » 16 Feb 2019, 9:16am

There are many possibilities for routes and does everybody record it at either end?
I did Jogle but didn't bother with signing in - I don't suppose I'm alone.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9541
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Feb 2019, 9:38am

I started a poll about this, few of us have not done LeJoG/JoGLE/side-side :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

PH
Posts: 6819
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby PH » 16 Feb 2019, 9:50am

1982john wrote:
PH wrote:Even if you knew the numbers, you'd still have no idea how many passed close to your town. There isn't really a route though some without the desire to do their own thing follow someone else's. I've cycled through Dumfries but it's nowhere near my JoGLE route.


But if you knew that x number of people did E2E every year and say only 5% visited your town you could argue the case that with better infrastructure there is potential for this to improve.

Possibly for those who've skirted round a town rather than go through it, but again trying to find those numbers isn't going to be helped by a simple survey of those who've completed it. I met eight other cycle tourists on my E2E and probably saw about the same number going in the opposite direction, of those I spoke to only two were also on an E2E. If the OP is trying to gain evidence to encourage the local authority to improve cycling infrastructure I don't think this contributes much.

althebike
Posts: 212
Joined: 10 May 2018, 12:58pm

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby althebike » 16 Feb 2019, 2:01pm

Antonish,

I did no official recording of my start or finish, at jog no one seemed even aware that such records existed.

ANTONISH
Posts: 1535
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby ANTONISH » 17 Feb 2019, 9:06am

althebike wrote:Antonish,

I did no official recording of my start or finish, at jog no one seemed even aware that such records existed.


I knew of these record books - but wasn't interested in them as I just wanted to do the ride - but oddly enough a colleague who was aware that I'd mentioned doing the ride, visited Lands End shortly after and went to look for my name - which of course he didn't find.
I had the feeling that he was somewhat suspicious about my ride.

althebike
Posts: 212
Joined: 10 May 2018, 12:58pm

Re: Does anyone know the LeJog statistics?

Postby althebike » 17 Feb 2019, 11:37am

I found a book in the new cafe at jog but any visitor could sign it,I have been told the book is at the tourist info center, but when asked, they had never heard of it, I have also been told there is a book at a jog guest house, but these are surely visitors books. At lands end everything was closed up