Virtual lejog.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jamesh

Virtual lejog.

Post by Jamesh »

As the Corona virus is stopping most travel and tours perhaps we should start a virtual lejog - where would you go if you were doing for the first time or again.

Cheers James
Paulatic

Re: Virtual lejog.

Post by Paulatic »

Looks like this attempt never happened.
The last tweet on the subject
Gilleathain McLean
@GillOnABike
·
Nov 27, 2009
Just tested the bike with a 12 mile cycle, everything is good except the seat - it's rather uncomfortable

:lol: :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Jameslejog?
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

This was our route. I'll devise a similar one after the virus has run its course but there'll be no need to call at Bradford on Avon since it was for a university reunion. We won't be staying on Colonsay since that was the only accommodation provider who refused to refund or amend our booking, despite them being closed by the government, won't get fooled again (acknowlegement to the other WHO).
http://ourcyclingholidays.co.uk/2020-lands-end-to-john-ogroats/
Last edited by AlanInBangor on 5 Apr 2020, 7:50am, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

As soon as the restrictions allow, I'm doing one, I'm using a route I've used before.

LE Illogan 29.6
Illogan Camelford 47.5
Camelford Tiverton 67.8
Tiverton Compton 65.6
Compton Goodrich 56.4
Goodrich Much Wenlock 62.5
Much Wenlock Bucklow Hill 64.1
Bucklow Slaidburn 61.0
Slaidburn Langwathby 59.4
Langwathby Tushielaw 77.5
Tushielaw Kinross 71.3
Kinross Glenshee 53.5
Glenshee Grantown 66.6
Grantown Invershin 77.8
Invershin Bettyhill 52.6
Bettyhill JOG 49.9
JOG Wick 21.4

I've got the climbs on the same spreadsheet. I've worked out routes from home, none of them taking me too far away.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Good thread!

We will all have our own favourite bits and that’s part of the beauty of this ride. Starting from Land’s End early in the morning always feels special and once off the A30 after Penzance following smaller roads through Cornwall and then up to Holsworthy before heading east and out of Devon, over some choice hills between Crediton and Tiverton before eventually coming out onto the A38. Less memorable from here to Bristol, but improves going towards the Severn Bridge and then the sheer delight that is going along the Wye to Monmouth before the hills up to Hereford. Not keen on A49 so take the A4110 and follow through to Craven Arms before more A49 into Shrewsbury. Go through to Wem on some quieter roads before longer slog on the A49 up to Warrington and through Wigan and onto Preston. Not fond of this bit. Improves again along the old A6 and up to Lancaster, before taking the quieter A6070 into Kendal. Delightful over Shap and still along the (fast) A6 to Carlisle before moving onto the quiet B6399 to Hawick and Selkirk before the lovely section along the Tweed from Caddonfoot to Innerleithen and then one of the best bits of the whole ride, up and over the Moorfoot Hills before the city lights of Edinburgh and the iconic crossing of the Forth Bridge. Kinross, Bridge of Earn (some good hills between these two!), the grotty bit along the A9 before turning off to Bankfoot and then following the main A9 on either quiet roads or the cycle track to Dalwhinnie and on, through Newtonmoor but, if you have the energy, turn off the old A9 at Kingussie onto the B970, up past the Ruthven Barracks and follow this beautiful road through to Aviemore, through the scented pine forests, keeping an eye out for the red squirrels (sadly the Alpine Nursery café is no longer open), and just keep following the quieter roads to Carrbridge and the small roads or cycle track to Daviot. I always lose the cycle way here and end up on the dual carriageway of the A9 into Inverness, but the compensation is severely high speeds. You can leave Inverness over the bridge or west, as if starting the NC500 to Beauly and Muir of Ord, before Alness and the B9176 up and over to Bonar Bridge with some of the best views on the whole ride. And it now just gets better! Up to Lairg and the delightful old A836, past the Crask Inn, onto Altnaharra and the lovely swooping road to Bettyhill. Bit more serious now, usually with a perverse wind, unending hills sapping at tired legs but keep on, Thurso is eventually reached with opportunities for a stop before the final section to John O’Groats – there, I’ve just completed (again) my favourite route – thanks for the memories.

Stay safe.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Two nice routes.

I'm going to do it slowly next time!

Not the crazy 8 days of last summer!

Cheers James