JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
PH

Re: JOGLE 21 Logistics Questions

Post by PH »

albal1 wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:08pm My planning for this year's JOGLE testing to say the least. X2 riders. From Inverness we are likely getting the bike transported via a van. As others have posted. Yes it's costly, needs must. Departs Jun 7th.
Why not the train?
PH

Post by PH »

Have we had the ferry option yet?
If you have the time and want the adventure. Train to Aberdeen, ferry to Orkney, ferry to JoG.
Of course once you're on Orkney it'd be a shame not to have a look around.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

PH wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:40pm
albal1 wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:08pm My planning for this year's JOGLE testing to say the least. X2 riders. From Inverness we are likely getting the bike transported via a van. As others have posted. Yes it's costly, needs must. Departs Jun 7th.
Why not the train?
Both different itineraries: I,m riding to Edinburgh from Dorset. My buddy is flying up from Dorset.; both train to Inverness,: he has a deadline I.e. has work commitment. hence van straight to JOG.
PH

Post by PH »

albal1 wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:37pm Both different itineraries: I,m riding to Edinburgh from Dorset. My buddy is flying up from Dorset.; both train to Inverness,: he has a deadline I.e. has work commitment. hence van straight to JOG.
OK, it's your ride, but you've chosen to make it an expensive challenge rather than take one of the four trains a day to Wick and ride the 15 miles to JoG. You described it as testing, but you weren't clear that you'd made it so.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

PH wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:47pm Have we had the ferry option yet?
If you have the time and want the adventure. Train to Aberdeen, ferry to Orkney, ferry to JoG.
This works very well, but does involve an extra day, spent on the ferry. It's even better in reverse after a LEJoG, as the southbound ferries to Aberdeen are overnight so you don't lose any time.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Our exit from JoG back home afther this July's LEJOG is effectively the mirror image of what the OP is doing

We have arranged a regular minibus taxi, based in Wick, to meet us at JoG and take us back to Wick. Cost is about £40. I know we could cycle it but for the modest per person cost it's fine. After overnighting in Wick we have one way Eurocar hires back to Manchester area (2x Skoda Octavia)

This worked out way cheaper and less hassle than trains. The alternative was ferry JoG to Orkney and then overnight ferry south, the car hire but it eats another day that we don't have
albal1

Post by albal1 »

PH wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:24pm
albal1 wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:37pm Both different itineraries: I,m riding to Edinburgh from Dorset. My buddy is flying up from Dorset.; both train to Inverness,: he has a deadline I.e. has work commitment. hence van straight to JOG.
OK, it's your ride, but you've chosen to make it an expensive challenge rather than take one of the four trains a day to Wick and ride the 15 miles to JoG. You described it as testing, but you weren't clear that you'd made it so.
Booking a train wasn't the problem. Reservations for x2 bicycles was. All done via phone to scotrail. If time wasn't the issue. We'd have plenty of options.
jonthefish

Post by jonthefish »

Think i may just cycle to JOG !!! :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jonthefish wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:32am Think i may just cycle to JOG !!! :D
................. and then turn round and head back to LE.

Chatting in the pub back in early 2006, people kept getting onto me to cycle LEJOG. After all, I'd done JOGLE in 1994.
I thought about it, and told them that I would have to get back from JOG, or they could drive all the way there to welcome me in, and then drive me home back to Cornwall.
Here to JOG is the best part of 800miles each way.

So ......... I decided to do the LEJOGandBACK over three weeks.
The rest is history. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
BlueMeldon

Post by BlueMeldon »

I took the train midlands-to-Penzance, rode to LE and back that day, and started off the next.
Arriving in Wick, I ate & slept, before doing Wick-JOG-Wick the next day and a train from Wick to Inverness then an Inverness sleeper south.
Try different train companies, I used ScotRail (phone) and got a better deal for all my tickets than I could manage online - very helpful.
Mick F's solution (LE-JOG-LE) is next on my agenda, but enjoy it however you plan/execute it !
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Me too

Le jog le for me....

Question is how I tell the Mrs/work!!!

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Are you under the thumb James? :lol:
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

You could get a train to London, coach to Inverness and then the train to Wick. Would be cheaper than train all the way from Dorset. OR hire a van to Inverness then train to Wick. Even a two day hire would be cheaper than your train ticket from Dorset :)
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Wouldn’t bother with a tent, bivi bag only for single night stays at any one place (+ midge head net). Spare shoes- don’t bother with space and weight, just have SPD pedals and recessed cleats, you can walk anywhere. Just take some spare bolts.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

PH wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:47pm Have we had the ferry option yet?
When are last checked, the Aberdeen ferry arrives in Orkney around midnight.

6 years ago I arrived on midsummer day. Cycled half way across and camped near Finstown behind the public toilets, before catching the early morning ferry from Stromness.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.