2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Did my first longer training session yesterday, did 55 miles with semi loaded panniers, went fine.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Yea! Got all the tickets and accommodation
8th June Camelford
9th Tiverton
10th Chew Magna
11th Ross on Wye
12th Much Wenlock
13th Bucklow
14th Slaidburn
15th Langwathby
16th Tushielaw
17th Kinross
18th Glenshee
19th Grantown
20th Bonar Bridge
21st Bettyhill
22nd JOG
23rd Wick £8.20 for a 4.5 hour train journey!! Brilliant Value. Sleeper back to London then home to Bucks.
991 miles (plus getting to LE and home from the train). Last year I had to cycle through our village for an extra mile to hit the 1000 mile mark. 61,400 feet in climbs.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Your making me want to do it again!

So jealous!!

Cheers James
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

May the wind be with you! Looking frward to hearing all about it on your return. What type of accommodation are you using?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m not a troll, honest! And I respect and admire all you guys doing this incredible feat. But the point, other than torture, has totally passed me by.
John
puffin

Post by puffin »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:08am I’m not a troll, honest! And I respect and admire all you guys doing this incredible feat. But the point, other than torture, has totally passed me by.
I know what you mean. To be dead straight, its not as hard as you think, its more long. It is demanding, but the main skill is to get up each day and do it again.
The big plus for me is seeing so much of this country, and meeting so many of the people, and picking up the ever changing accents.
puffin

Post by puffin »

AlanInBangor wrote: 19 May 2021, 8:37am May the wind be with you! Looking frward to hearing all about it on your return. What type of accommodation are you using?
Thanks for the good wishes, and I'm doing B&B. Keep safe.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:05pm Your making me want to do it again!

So jealous!!

Cheers James
James, I know what you mean, though your wish to LEJOGLE is way outside my league, my budget and my wife's tolerance.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

puffin wrote: 19 May 2021, 11:03am
Oldjohnw wrote: 19 May 2021, 9:08am I’m not a troll, honest! And I respect and admire all you guys doing this incredible feat. But the point, other than torture, has totally passed me by.
I know what you mean. To be dead straight, its not as hard as you think, its more long. It is demanding, but the main skill is to get up each day and do it again.
The big plus for me is seeing so much of this country, and meeting so many of the people, and picking up the ever changing accents.

That makes sense. In my own case, I, too, like to see this country. We never holiday outside the UK and I like to choose an area, take my bike on the train and spend a week touring that area. I generally do about 4-500 miles a time, which is half LEJOG.

Of course, as ever, it’s each to their own.
John
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

To ride it in 8 days or less is punishment.

To ride in 8+ days is pleasure!!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

puffin wrote: 19 May 2021, 11:05am
Jamesh wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:05pm Your making me want to do it again!

So jealous!!

Cheers James
James, I know what you mean, though your wish to LEJOGLE is way outside my league, my budget and my wife's tolerance.
Agreed to the last two but you could do it if wished!!

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

I suppose I'd better start training.
markluchesasmith

Post by markluchesasmith »

Hi Puffin,

I hope to see you on the route. I am starting just after lunch on 7th June and have booked my first night in a B&B on the edge of Truro. After that it is anyone's guess where I will end up. I am riding a Birdy Rohloff (small wheels!) with four panniers which I hope to keep as light as possible. I intend to take three weeks but have to take a couple of breaks midway to sort out various problems for family members. Anyway that will be a good excuse to rest my legs. I haven't done a trip as long as this since 1987 when I cycled across France North to South. That was a marvellous trip with long lunches with wine. I suspect the catering arrangements are going to be less exciting this time round, and I fear the roads will be much less smooth. I know Bicester well as I used to teach at the Bicester Community College back in the 1990s and took some hairy bike tours with the kids in the surrounding countryside.

Give me a wave as you shoot past!

All the best

Mark
puffin

Post by puffin »

markluchesasmith wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 7:20am Hi Puffin,

I hope to see you on the route. I am starting just after lunch on 7th June and have booked my first night in a B&B on the edge of Truro. After that it is anyone's guess where I will end up. I am riding a Birdy Rohloff (small wheels!) with four panniers which I hope to keep as light as possible. I intend to take three weeks but have to take a couple of breaks midway to sort out various problems for family members. Anyway that will be a good excuse to rest my legs. I haven't done a trip as long as this since 1987 when I cycled across France North to South. That was a marvellous trip with long lunches with wine. I suspect the catering arrangements are going to be less exciting this time round, and I fear the roads will be much less smooth. I know Bicester well as I used to teach at the Bicester Community College back in the 1990s and took some hairy bike tours with the kids in the surrounding countryside.

Give me a wave as you shoot past!

All the best

Mark
Shoot past?????? 10 out of 10 for good manners but Minus 10,000 for realism. Frankly, some days I rely on continental drift to give me a positive mileage. The French trip sounds awesome, later on tell me more when you get the chance. One of my family has a house in Spain, and I aim to cycle down there one year. Bicester CC, aka Bicester School has had a checkered history, I never taught there but someone I worked with became Head there. Briefly.

I'll look out for you on 7th, I'm on a grey Dawes Galaxy. If we don't meet up have a great trip. Remember, Cornwall and Devon are pretty well the worst counties in terms of climbs, so one you're past Tiverton you've cracked the worst bit :) . If you were planning to use the coastal path between Penzance and Marazion I hear its closed, so I'm using a parallel road. Here's my amended route if it helps.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35099331
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I am registered to do LeJog via a tour - someone else carrying by stuff - but am mulling over doing it bikepacking - more of an adventure. 8)
I am reading a lot about the hostility being shown by the Scots to the English, has anyone actually had this experience?
I suspect much of it is apocryphal and mainly depends on personality, but I do wonder if it is an issue. Anyone?