Tain-JOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
matt2matt2002

Re: Tain-JOG

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Chris Ince wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 10:12am At Inverness rather than go to Beauly on south side of Beauly Firth I would go over the Keswick Bridge, down to North Keswick and follow the very pleasant minor road that hugs the north shore of Beauly Firth. When you come up to the junction with A832 turn left to Muir of Ord. Right here on A 862 to Dingwall. At Dingwall take the Old Evanton Road to Evanton and then the Scotsburn Road to Tain. If you are in no hurry, go to JoG via Lairg and B871 to Bettyhill. Otherwise, via A9, it’s less problematic than your average B road in southern England:)
Quite agree. However x4 weeks ago the cycle lanes on the Keswick bridge were closed for repairs.
I declined the option of diversion and lifted bike & panniers over the barrier, turned on rear light and cycled over. Not to be recommended but light traffic got me through.

I'd be interested to hear if it's reopened.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Crossing the Kessock Bridge next weekend. I’ll let you know
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 11:36am I'd be interested to hear if it's reopened.
Drove over it today it’s still closed on the north bound side. It’s scaffolding obstruction about 5yds long to get past.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

When we cycled the Kessock bridge in July the N bound cycleway was closed but the S bound was open. We (foolishly) followed the official diversion off the N bound which took us under the bridge and round past Inverness Caledonian Thistle football ground before joining the S bound cycleway to head N.

Had we known we would have just crossed the carriageways and picked up the S bound cycleway

Our route Tain to JoG was to duck off after the bridge via Dornoch which allowed for a spectacular ride alongside Loch Fleet with the seals. A9 up to Lybster and then off on single track via Camster, Watten and Lyth until we joined the road into JoG at Canisbay. This route is only about 2 miles further than taking the A9 the whole way and is much more scenic through the middle of Flow country
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

Ron wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:48pm
nickyboy wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:40pmand then via Wasset to JoG
That would be Watten I think, how did it go?
Sorry for late reply. We were really pleased with going left at Lybster and via Watten. It's virtually the same mileage as straight up the A9
The single track roads with zero traffic straight through flow country were one of the highlights of our entire trip
We went to have a look at the Camster Cairns which, although you can no longer crawl inside them, are spectacular and right next to the road. Watten has a store where you can buy snacks and drinks

We drove back on the A9 and I would always recommend cutting off at Lybster, it's much nicer
Ron

Post by Ron »

nickyboy wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:40pmand then via Wasset to JoG
That would be Watten I think, how did it go?
[/quote] We were really pleased with going left at Lybster and via Watten. We drove back on the A9 and I would always recommend cutting off at Lybster, it's much nicer[/quote]
Good to hear :)
With a little planning and just a few extra miles there are numerous options between Inverness and the north coast.
It's a pity the cairns are 'no entry' now.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Ron wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:33pm It's a pity the cairns are 'no entry' now.
It's a Covid thing - you can't socially distance inside as it's not big enough.
Ron

Post by Ron »

andrew_s wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 2:24am
Ron wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:33pm It's a pity the cairns are 'no entry' now.
It's a Covid thing - you can't socially distance inside as it's not big enough.
Thanks for that info.! :)