2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by puffin »

robgul wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 12:26pm The trick for aligning the bars is to stand astride the bike and look down over the bars so that you can see the hub in the front wheel - make sure the middle section of bars is parallel to the hub's axis.

... and if you've turned the bars it's always a good idea to check the headset bearing pre-load (i.e. the cap on an a-head set-up as up-thread) - grasp the upper headset cup with fingers around the steerer with left hand - with right hand apply front brake - then rock the steerer back and forth ... play should be minimal - then check that it's not too tight
This was really useful, thanks.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

puffin wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 6:53pm
Paulatic wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 12:51pm Looks like you were lucky to finish your LEJOG with the rack.
It was ok when I left it at Inverness!
Maybe I’m seeing the picture wrong. It thought it looked like a very old break on one side and a new break ont tother.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

There were TWO breaks??? I didn't even see that, I only saw one break....sheez.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Just starting to look at bookings for next year, so far the first two hotels are a bit pricier: 1) last year £56 this year £100, hotel 2) Last year £83 this year £110. I will wait a bit before booking.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

puffin wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 10:33pm There were TWO breaks??? I didn't even see that, I only saw one break....sheez.
Put it down to the worst thing that happened so can't be bad!

Same with my frame bag zip busting on day 2.

Cheers James
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

puffin wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:22pm Just starting to look at bookings for next year, so far the first two hotels are a bit pricier: 1) last year £56 this year £100, hotel 2) Last year £83 this year £110. I will wait a bit before booking.
Is this for another end to end or a different ride? These hotels squeezing a captive market will only encourage people to holiday overseas when travel becomes less restrictive.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

puffin wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:22pm Just starting to look at bookings for next year, so far the first two hotels are a bit pricier: 1) last year £56 this year £100, hotel 2) Last year £83 this year £110. I will wait a bit before booking.
Have you checked that whenever you're travelling is not half term or tying in with some big event locally?
I'm a big fan of waiting until absolutely last minute (sometimes even same day) to book stuff. You can end up with a restricted choice of accommodation or perhaps pedalling a bit further than expected sometimes but equally you can often find last minute cancellations, hotels desperate to get anyone into a room.

During the World Road Race Championships in Harrogate, the atrocious weather meant a lot of people cancelled - I picked up a room in a hotel overlooking the start/finish line (just for one night) for £30, breakfast included. Those same rooms a few months previously had been going for £300+.
puffin

Post by puffin »

rareposter wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:30am
Have you checked that whenever you're travelling is not half term or tying in with some big event locally?
I'm a big fan of waiting until absolutely last minute (sometimes even same day) to book stuff. You can end up with a restricted choice of accommodation or perhaps pedalling a bit further than expected sometimes but equally you can often find last minute cancellations, hotels desperate to get anyone into a room.

During the World Road Race Championships in Harrogate, the atrocious weather meant a lot of people cancelled - I picked up a room in a hotel overlooking the start/finish line (just for one night) for £30, breakfast included. Those same rooms a few months previously had been going for £300+.
Good point, checked half terms (slight clash) sporting events, stadium rock concerts, Mick F out and about, royal weddings.... all clear.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Mick F's support team require half a travel lodge, he books the whole hotel to guarantee privacy......

The Moulton and Mercian get separate rooms!!!!

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:49am Mick F's support team require half a travel lodge, he books the whole hotel to guarantee privacy......

Cheers James
Good points, but I was thinking of accomodating his fan base.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 10:56pm
puffin wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 10:33pm There were TWO breaks??? I didn't even see that, I only saw one break....sheez.
Put it down to the worst thing that happened so can't be bad!

Same with my frame bag zip busting on day 2.

Cheers James
Ouch!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Nothing that a length of gorilla tape couldn't fix!

Cheers James
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I think there is going to be an enormous amount of pressure in accommodation next year. I'm trying to book in Scotland and a lot of places are full already.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Jamesh wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:49am Mick F's support team require half a travel lodge, he books the whole hotel to guarantee privacy......

Cheers James
If traveling the Great Glen route I can recommend a great bunk house near Spean Bridge which can be booked out in entirety. It sleeps approximately 20. Not expensive.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Slowtwitch wrote: 4 Nov 2021, 4:17am

Cheers James
If traveling the Great Glen route I can recommend a great bunk house near Spean Bridge which can be booked out in entirety. It sleeps approximately 20. Not expensive.
Thanks for that, I'll look into it. I've never done that route, I go East over the Grampians. Its time for the Great Glen route!