LEJOG B&B recommendations

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Euskadi

LEJOG B&B recommendations

Post by Euskadi »

I'm working out a route, not difficult thanks to the CTC pack, and I'm thinking of stopping in the following vicinities: Tavistock, Shipham, Hereford, Warrington, Penrith, Kilmarnock, Inveraray, Fort William, and Evanton. I shall use the hostels at Penzance and John o'Groats. Can anyone recommend any B&Bs in these areas that they have used (or point me to another website and/or forum with this kind of info)? Much appreciated :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tavistock.

I suppose you're thinking of Dartmoor over to Moretonhampstead. Please think twice. Dartmoor is wonderful and scenic and fantastic. It also rises to 1500ft with steep climbs. Hard work is the order of the day. The trouble is, if the weather turns for the worst there ain't no shelter.
Better to skirt Dartmoor to the north, via Okehampton and Crediton.

Anyway, a good B+B in Tavy is the Tavistock Inn:
http://www.tavistockinn.co.uk/
Good pub (short in supply in Tavy!) and good beer. Right in the centre of town with an LBS only 50/60 yds away.
Mick F. Cornwall
Euskadi

A390?

Post by Euskadi »

I don't have a road map with me, but was thinking of using A390 via Truro, St Austell, Liskeard, and onto Tavistock. Not sure if that is the route you say, but will be sure to take your advice as the fewer hills I do down there the better it makes me feel - cheers for the recommendation as well :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep. A390 is the way, right down through Gunnislake and into Devon over our little bridge, not a mile from where I'm typing!

Hills abound on the A390. Nothing too bad, in fact the very steep slopes are downward out of Cornwall, except for a couple or so .......... Ha Ha

Keep off the A30 through Cornwall if you can. LE to Penzance is ok, and then to Hayle. But the Old A30 exists via Cambourne, Redruth and Chacewater down to Truro. From there it's the A390.

From Tavistock, I recommend A386 to Okehampton, then B3215, A3072 and A377, via Copplestone and Crediton (more hills) to Tiverton. Then out to Taunton and Bridgwater on the A38.

Any more in-depth info, please don't hesitate to get back to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Euskadi

Thanks

Post by Euskadi »

Many thanks Mick, appreciate it, and I'll email you more later (in work at mo). By coincidence I had just starting thinking of stopping in Okehampton rather than Tavistock on my first night. If that was the case, would it make sense to use the A30 after all? Just using the AA journey planner I reckon going via Penzance, St Austell, Liskeard and Tavistock onto Okehampton would only add another 10 miles - so instead of 101 miles using the A30 I would do 110 miles, but have a nicer route. Seems a decent pay-off. What do you reckon?

Last September I cycled along the south coast from Lands End back to London carrying all the necessary tools and luggage etc, and using B and unclassified roads, so I'm used to a bit if hard graft :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The trouble with the A30 is that it's a motorway by another name. For a safe and direct route to Okehampton you'd need Tardis!

The Old A30 only really exists between LE and Redruth, and then Launceston to Exeter.

You're obviously wanting a quick/short route. A390 from Truro is the quick and safe route, although the New A30 is quicker, it ain't safe.

Another way is to head out of Redruth area toward Newquay and away up the A39 via Wadebridge and Camelford and then A395 to Launceston. You can then pick up the Old A30 to Okehampton.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

We used the A390 and went through Oakhampton on our E2E, though going the other way. I'd recommend the route, though as it's the only one I've done I make no comparisons.
Penzance to Truro on back roads via Godolphin Cross, Porkellis and Stithians. When you look at a decent map this route becomes obvious, it's pretty direct.
30 miles on the A390 to Doublebois then back on minor roads to Lydford via Minions, Bray Shop and Horsebridge. This was probably my favourite bit of the English section and again a fairly direct route.
Lydford to Oakhampton on the main road, I ended up doing a short section of A30, I'm not sure if I took a wrong turn or if that's necessary. It was no big deal, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend the day on it.
Can't recommend any accommodation, we didn't stop near any of those places.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi PH,

You didn't go wrong with the short section of A30. It's the "easiest" route, and the A30 bit is steeply downhill - 40mph if you tuck in!

Actually, if you'd not followed the signposts for Okehampton, and gone straight on instead of turning onto the A30 at Sourton, you'd have reached a roundabout. Go right there to the next one, and then right again.

At the bottom of the hill turn left onto the Old A30 and straight into Okehampton on quiet safe roads. A little further, but nicer.

.....on minor roads to Lydford via Minions, Bray Shop and Horsebridge.....
Yes, nice roads. I ride them a lot. But you have to like hills!
Mick F. Cornwall
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Cheers guys, this has been most useful, and I think the first stage is safely mapped out thanks to you both!

At some point I'm going to have a separate posting on roads through Scotland so if you've gone via Inveraray, Fort William, and Evanton to John O'Groats please feel free to pass your advice again! I've got the CTC advice on touring through Scotland, but am not sure how up-to-date it is. I've already booked up SYHAs at Inveraray, Glen Nevis and JoG, but haven't decided on a stopping point except somewhere in the vicinity of Kilmarnock?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The East/West debate has raged in these pages for ages.

My opinion is that the A82 up to Ft William etc is not the best route. Busy and boring. Lots of traffic.

Try thinking about Carlisle/Edinburgh/Pitlochry/Inverness. This route takes you up the A7 to the wonderful city of Edinburgh, and then the Old A9 and cycle track over the Grampians to Inverness. Pretty and scenic, quiet and peaceful. (Actually, not that quiet, you can hear the A9 dual carriageway away through the trees! But at least you're not in busy traffic like you would be on the A82)

I'm standing back now, waiting for the counter arguments from the Western Brigade!
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

On JOGLE last year found this place in Penrith. Very good, run by tour cyclists huge cold breakfast !! Tools for repairs.
www.Fellfoot.com
RaasayWarden

Post by RaasayWarden »

From Kilmarnock you could head for Paisley, Erskine Bridge and then cycle path to A82, etc. But I find the following less stressful and more attractive:
1) head for NCN 7 something between Kibirnie and Johnstone;
2) turn L in Johnstone onto NCN 75. Leave in Greenock and continue to Gourock
3) ferry to Hunter's Quay then A815 and finally A83

but...
1) buy tickets from newsagents, etc (look out for Western Ferries signs) before boading ferry otherwise you'll pay full fare.
2) when you reach St Catherines, you'll 1 1/2 miles from Inveraray by sea, but 17 miles by road!
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Cheers guys, that's really useful info :D