Western route through Scotland

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Euskadi

Western route through Scotland

Post by Euskadi »

Can anyone pass on recommendations for roads to avoid and take when cycling up the western side of Scotland to JoG? I haven't fixed my route, but my last stop in England will probably be in the Penrith area, and had thought to stop in the Kilmarnock part of Ayrshire. I have booked accommodation at the SYHAs: Inveraray and Ben Nevis, and am probably going to book a bed at the Independent YHA at Evanton near Dingwall. Any thoughts on routes and a place to stop between Penrith and Inveraray would be greatly appreciated.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

As an addendum I did buy the Sustrans pack of routes at the last Cycle Show in London, but can't find the blessed thing anywhere now! So if anyone has got the Sustrans Scottish routes are they very helpful?
peterm

western route

Post by peterm »

Did Jogle last year in June and loved the west coast route-going your way would highly recommend the following.

Penrith-Carlisle-Gretna-Annan-Dumfries-Dalry(nice pub and B&B at the Porridge House)-Carsphairn-Ardrossan-Isle of Arran-Tarbert-Lochgilphead-Kilmartin-Oban-Benderloch and on to Ben Nevis

The Isle of Arran is beautiful and worth staying on for a day to cycle round and the ferry rides add to the whole experience. There is plenty of accomodation on the Island. After leaving Arran the west coast route is truly outstanding. Make a detour from Lochgilphead along the Crinnan Canal cyclepath to Crinan and then rejoin the west coast route at Kilmartin where there is an interesting museum with an excellent cafe.

A further recommendation would be that when you leave Evanton go North via Bonar Bridge-Lairg-Altnaharra-Syre-Bettyhill. This may be longer in miles but is comparatively flat, traffic free and the Strathnaver Valley was probably the best part of the whole journey. Stayed B&b on whole trip and had little trouble finding them.

The jump from Penrith to Carlisle is a bit of a pain-I just closed my eyes and flew along the A74 to get it over with- but you can go round. After that the journey from Gretna on is good because as you will see on the map there are minor roads running alongside the main roads most of the way.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Cheers Peter, that's really helpful :D
bodach

Post by bodach »

The A82 is mostly pretty dreadful from Tarbet northwards and also the A9 from Inverness north. The route by Lairg is good. From Dingwall you can follow an alternative route easily.Depends on the time of year but nowadays I would not try the A82 in the main tourist season ie from June to September.
RaasayWarden

Post by RaasayWarden »

You can avoid most of the A82 north of Fort William by using the offroad "Great Glen Way". Several sections are usable only by unladen MTBs so a route might be:

B8004/5 Banavie to Clunes, GGW to Laggan Bridge, A82 to Bridge Of Oich, GGW (towpath) to Fort Augustus, B862/B852 to Inverness.

The last is up a b****y great hill but you face one if you take the normal route by turning left at Drumnadrochit.

North of Inverness NCN 1 is the (unhurried!) way to go but any roads other than the A9 will do.
ransos

Post by ransos »

RaasayWarden wrote:You can avoid most of the A82 north of Fort William by using the offroad "Great Glen Way". Several sections are usable only by unladen MTBs so a route might be:

B8004/5 Banavie to Clunes, GGW to Laggan Bridge, A82 to Bridge Of Oich, GGW (towpath) to Fort Augustus, B862/B852 to Inverness.

The last is up a b****y great hill but you face one if you take the normal route by turning left at Drumnadrochit.

That's what I did. The B862 out of Ft Augustus is VERY steep but there's a terrific long downhill back to Loch Ness, and then it's fairly flat all the way to Inverness. I found that the GGW was a bit too rough in places for my 28mm tyres, but the towpath sections were fine.