4 or 5 day LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Spinners

Re: 4 or 5 day LEJOG

Post by Spinners »

mnichols wrote:As the original poster I thought that I should update you on my 5 day LeJoG: I climbed off the bike on Saturday

Belated congratulations. Epic stuff.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Going between Tavistock and Okehampton on the A386 is awful.

Believe me. I know.

From Camelford, head out on the A395 for a mile or three, then turn off for Egloskerry and Launceston.
From there, you can get on the wonderful Old A30 and it'll take you on a quiet empty peaceful old trunk road all the way to Okehampton.

Specifically Tavistock / Oakhampton, going south its fast and exhilarating and not that busy, north its a real drag and uphill.
But your suggestion on the other road is probably easier.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I use the A386 quite often, as I like to do circular routes. Out one way, and back another.

Okehampton to Tavistock is faster than the other way there is no doubt, but there's a long slog up onto Blackdown (1,600ft) from the bottom of Beardon over the River Lyd.
The whizz down of Blackdown into Mary Tavy is a good long drop circa 35mph, and that makes the difference in the overall speed.

The other way, coming north out of Tavistock is ok until you get to Mary Tavy, where there's the long slog up to Blackdown of course. Beyond that, it's easy going no matter which direction.

The issue with the A386 - in fact all the way from Plymouth to the junction with A30 dual carriageway - is that it has many heavy lorries and vans, all connecting up Plymouth and Exeter east or going further west. The A386 isn't a wide road and there are few overtaking places. Close passes with vehicles are common. It's a "link road" between the A38 Devon Expressway and the A30 dual carriageway. Consequently, often Tavistock gets clogged up with through traffic.

If you really want to go between Tavistock and Okehampton, go up the B road from Tavistock town centre past Brent Tor and into Lydford to join the Granite Way. Don't follow it to Okehampton, but come off at Sourton and use the A386 under the A30 and then turn off on the minor lane signposted Meldon, and join the Old A30 into Okehampton.

Believe me, I know. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
If I were to join one of these organised LEJOG rides, I'd part company with them just beyond Penzance.
Yes, they will have support and feeding stations en-route because they'd need it, but I'd forego that and carry on my own sweet way support-free.

I'd be in Okehampton an hour or two before the main group.

Route?
LE to Penzance
A30 to Hayle
Turn off to Connor Downs just east of Hayle
Old A30 Camborne and Redruth to Blackwater and Three Burrows
A30 to Zelah
Minor roads to St Newlyn East
Gummow's Shop
White Cross
Join A39 at St Columb Major
Wadebridge
Camelford
Turn off onto A395 to Halworthy and Wilsey Down
Turn off on minor roads to Tresmeer and Egloskerry
Turn right then left at St Stephens
Left then right at Newport (Launceston)
Ridgegrove Lane to the Old A30
Cross into England
Lifton
Bridestowe
Turn left at Sourton and then right for Meldon
Bear left onto the Old A30
Enter Okehampton town centre.
Mick F. Cornwall
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

The RAB route into Okehampton comes in through Launceston and Lewdown, it misses Tavistock completely. Only the last 3 miles or so are on the A386.

I presume their plan for the 5-day "Ultra" challenge next year uses the same route although obviously with different stopping points. Reading through the info and talking to the guys involved it seems to be the plan that they'll set the 9-day riders off on the Saturday as usual and then on Wednesday, the 5-day group heads out. The idea being that everyone gets to JOG on the same day.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. Reading the OP's account of his 5-day ride on here was a bit of an eye-opener as to the things that can happen en route. I'd like to know if the three of them that rode it are still on speaking terms!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rareposter wrote:The RAB route into Okehampton comes in through Launceston and Lewdown, it misses Tavistock completely. Only the last 3 miles or so are on the A386.
Excellent! :D
Mind you, if they are on the A386 for as much as three miles, they've gone two and a half miles too far.

However, how do they get to Launceston?
Lots of different routes to chose from, but I know which I recommend over ALL others.
Please be aware that I have cycled on just about every single road in Cornwall.

Sorry, can't be back to this discussion for the rest of today as I'm driving the Community Bus to Truro.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mnichols

I've only just seen your account of your ride and I'm standing to attention with respect as I type this. Well done!

In addition to the well-made points by others who have posted about your achievement, I'd offer congratulations for getting advice from the people with the appropriate experience on here (and perhaps elsewhere) and then following that advice as appropriate.

You have managed to surpass what many might have expected: the general view was that you would need to be lucky with the weather but, apart from the tail-wind towards the end, the weather seems to have been no help at all.

As others have said, your write-up is brilliant and it succinctly captures what you achieved, without conceit. I'm particularly impressed by the way you have described what was going on in your head and how you dealt with it. It will be a useful resource to point to anybody who asks the forum for advice on a similar enterprise.

:D :D :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
+1 Everything ee says ^
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep, me too! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks everyone for the advice and kind comments. It certainly was an experience
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

mnichols wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice and kind comments. It certainly was an experience

Have you recovered OK - did you find out what had caused the hand issue and the palpitations? Straight overexertion?
How long until you were back to normal?

And, most importantly, are you on speaking terms with your fellow riders yet?!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm not sure what caused the pain in my arm. I would say that I returned to normal within a couple of weeks - I actually came back and went on a family holiday and then was back to normal.

I think most of my issues were due to over exertion and an underlying heart problems. I trained really hard in the run up, including 800 miles of hills in 2 weeks in the run up, I then tapered for a week and then started the Lejog. I was doing that at 48 alongside a full time job, a young family, training 2 or 3 times per week in the gym and normal life commitments.

I have a history of pushing too hard, and I've been sent back to my Cardiologist for a checkup - I accidentally mentioned to my gp that my waking heart rate was 120 and my resting pulse was 180.

I'm back to just training 5 days per week and my hr is back to normal, so I think it was just over exertion

As Apollo Creed said "Stallion, it's too bad we gotta get old"
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
............................I had a problem once in my life, with a resting HR of over 150, could not even sit up.
Probable Virus lead to dehydration and hence raised HR only solution was a IV drip.......................the question was also raised of Caffeine....................
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Mick, ten times up and down Gunny hill would be good training ......................

......................... and if still alive, they could then do the E to E.

Happy days, C.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Morzedec wrote:Mick, ten times up and down Gunny hill would be good training ......................

......................... and if still alive, they could then do the E to E.

Happy days, C.
Yes, Gunnislake Hill is a good one.

Until people actually understand that the hills round here mean business, they'll never understand Cornwall and cycling.

I've cycled looking for hills, and in North Yorkshire up in the Dales - Fleet Moss etc are good hills to ride, but Gunny Hill is a main A road, and a road you have to use.

When I go out riding, I have two choices.
One, Gunnislake Hill, and two, over into Devon up the hill.
I only have two choices, and I alternate them.

Some folk have a choice - hills or not - I have no choice at all.
Mind you, I'm not complaining. I love them. :D
Mick F. Cornwall