LeJoG over 3 years

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
whoof

LeJoG over 3 years

Post by whoof »

I wanted to ride LeJog and wanted to take about 3 weeks to do the ride. However, I cannot take 3 weeks off work. I usually spent 2 weeks every summer touring in mainland Europe which I don't want to forgo and also a week touring in the UK. So I've come up with the idea of doing it in 3 one week tours over 3 years. Land's End to Derby (possibly), Derby to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to John O'Groats. Has anyone tried something similar and if so any advice.
fossala

Re: LeJoG over 3 years

Post by fossala »

When I did it last year I met a woman who was walking LEJOG. It had taken 8 years if I remember correctly. I met her in the highlands so she was finishing it within the week.
Each time she took time off work she caught a train to where she left off and started again, got to admire the commitment.
honesty

Post by honesty »

my dad walked the Pennine way in 2 chunks because he couldn't get the time to do it in one. Seems a good idea if you're not that bothered about saying you've done it all in one go.
PH

Post by PH »

There's no reason that you shouldn't. But to me the E2E is a challange, if it's just a tour there are IMO better ones. If you just have the week and still want a challange, why not have a go at the East to West (Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan) around half the distance and IMO a more scenic ride.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

No useful advice but I remember reading in Bill Bryson's book about the Appalachian Trail that section-hikers (rather than thru-hikers) were common.
whoof

Post by whoof »

PH wrote:There's no reason that you shouldn't. But to me the E2E is a challange, if it's just a tour there are IMO better ones. If you just have the week and still want a challange, why not have a go at the East to West (Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan) around half the distance and IMO a more scenic ride.

I don't see it as a challenge, just riding a bike which I enjoy. However, I've seen more of France than I have the UK and even parts of the UK I do know well such as Cornwall I've never been to a lot of places North of Truro. I would therefore like to take my time and see some new places. I've got family in West Cornwall and friends in Thurso who I've been promising to visit for ages and not got around to it. As there are also other friends and family I could see along the way joining the two end points up seemed like a nice thing to do.
PH

Post by PH »

whoof wrote:I don't see it as a challenge, just riding a bike which I enjoy. However, I've seen more of France than I have the UK and even parts of the UK I do know well such as Cornwall I've never been to a lot of places North of Truro. I would therefore like to take my time and see some new places.

As I said, no reason that you shouldn't. But IMO, if with the example you give you wanted to see more of Cornwall, there are better ways to do it than pass through on an E2E. I've been doing the CTC BCQ for the last few years, visiting 6 places in every county, it's thrown up some real gems of routes and I've enjoyed it and seen more of the country than I did on an E2E. I did that in 12 days which wasn't anything like long enough to go exploring (I'll save that for retirement and spend a few months on it)
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Take as many days/weeks/years to ride as you like, only those who've ridden LE to JoG non stop can claim to have done LEJoG 'properly' - the rest of us have just been on multi day tours with a theme. I took 4 bites at it ;-)
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

wirral_cyclist wrote:Take as many days/weeks/years to ride as you like, only those who've ridden LE to JoG non stop can claim to have done LEJoG 'properly'.

They can certainly claim to have done it non-stop but there is no definition of "properly" to which they can lay claim.
E25
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

vjosullivan wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:Take as many days/weeks/years to ride as you like, only those who've ridden LE to JoG non stop can claim to have done LEJoG 'properly'.

They can certainly claim to have done it non-stop but there is no definition of "properly" to which they can lay claim.

No definition of properly on here (except as a challange it seems) but lots of folk insist the only true way is how they did it. I'm suggesting anything goes and I thank you for supporting that.
Missing the smiley next to 'properly' messed up my attempt to stop the 200mpd and sleep in a hedge brigade [emoji6]
BobSweet

Post by BobSweet »

My wife and I did it over one year, holidays, long weekend etc, all via the pretty route, sustrans routes where possible. I think it was much better than spending your holidays blasting up the main roads. So I say go for it.