Gearing and timing questions

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Icenii

Gearing and timing questions

Postby Icenii » 2 Feb 2016, 11:09pm

Gents, ladies may I call upon your experience with a couple of questions.

I'm lucky enough to be cycling a supported 12 day LEJOG for the charity I work for quite shortly. As it is supported I plan to do it on my sportif bike. The lowest gearing I have on this is 34/ 32 so pretty close to 1 to 1. I'm not too familiar with some of the terrain but understand it to be quite serious :D . I feel that I am quite strong and can do the distances required but being based in East Anglia don't get to see too many hills. Will this gearing be ok ?

Due to time restrictions the plan is to set off end of March on the bank holiday Monday 28th. Obviously weather and traffic likely to be an issue but historically any idea if many other intrepid cyclists will be setting off around this time ?

Many thanks in advance.

irc

Re: Gearing and timing questions

Postby irc » 3 Feb 2016, 12:56am

Yes. My first tour back in the 70s was going through the highlands on a 10 speed with a low of 40x28. So riding a light bike without luggage will work fine at 34x32.

March? Probably Ok. At least with support you can take a choice of clothes for the weather. Take clothes for anything from freezing to 20C and you'll be covered.

Weather forecast 1st April 2015 -
“These showers may also leave temporary slight accumulations of snow at lower levels in the north, but snow is more likely to affect higher level routes, with 2cm above 200m and 5cm or so above 400m, although primarily on grassy surfaces.“Strong winds will lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions on the more exposed routes. “The public should be aware of potential hazardous travelling conditions.” Sections of the A9 around the Drumochter and Slochd summits between Blair Atholl and Inverness are above 400m.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-3734074

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 3 Feb 2016, 8:17am

Go ride North Hill from Papermill Lock up to the top a few times, then reward yourself with cake at the tearooms at Papermill Lock. :mrgreen:

You will fill yourself with confidence, scare yourself into buying a bike with lower gearing, or you will decide that the Sportif bike is okay, but you need to go ride North Hill 4 times every Sunday in preparation.

Good luck and enjoy the cycling!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 3 Feb 2016, 4:57pm

Bear in mind that LEJOG has been ridden on pretty much every type of bike around. Boris bikes, singlespeeds, fixed gear...
I rode with a guy who did it SS (48:17) and he was fine, even up Cheddar Gorge and Shap Fell.

The question should be "will those gears be OK for you?" and only you can answer that!
I mean, I've done it three times on a low gear of 39:25 and always been absolutely fine but I fully appreciate that some riders wouldn't cope on that and others would scoff at my requirement for such low gears!

About your only option is to go and do a couple of back to back rides of about the distance you'll be doing over a rough approximation of the terrain you'll be facing and see how you get on. A bit of training and preparation will work better than just buying the lowest gears you can find.
Good luck!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Feb 2016, 6:51pm

rareposter wrote:Bear in mind that LEJOG has been ridden on pretty much every type of bike around. Boris bikes, singlespeeds, fixed gear...
.............. and on a Raleigh Chopper.
Mind you, I did JOGLE on it. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

scottg

Postby scottg » 4 Feb 2016, 2:39pm

Vorpal wrote:Go ride North Hill from Papermill Lock up to the top a few times, then reward yourself with cake at the tearooms at Papermill Lock. :mrgreen:

Excellent idea, then try it with the bike loaded to touring weight.
Books in panniers to simulate your kit weight.
Amazing how many "touring bikes" handle worse loaded.

Has any tourist ever returned and said, "My gearing was too low" ?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

Icenii

Postby Icenii » 13 Feb 2016, 4:06pm

Gents many thanks for replys. I've found a decent hill and been up it a few times and will focus on it over the next few weeks. Like it was suggested above I believe the 1:1 ratio probably OK for me .... or it seemed that way :D Whether 20 hills spread over a long day will still seem ok I guess that's the challenge. I will be better prepared however. Looking forward to it.

Deckie

Postby Deckie » 21 Feb 2016, 10:50am

Apart from Cornwall, most of the hills you will encounter are long steady climbs rather than steep, so yo shouldn't have a problem, particularly as you are supported & so don't have a great weight of kit to haul up the hills (like Mick had with his chopper!)
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 21 Feb 2016, 7:15pm

scottg wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Go ride North Hill from Papermill Lock up to the top a few times, then reward yourself with cake at the tearooms at Papermill Lock. :mrgreen:

Excellent idea, then try it with the bike loaded to touring weight.
Books in panniers to simulate your kit weight.
Amazing how many "touring bikes" handle worse loaded.

Has any tourist ever returned and said, "My gearing was too low" ?

It's a supported ride, so no need for touring kit. Just day ride stuff.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom