Peterborough to Ben Nevis

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
dazaaa07

Peterborough to Ben Nevis

Post by dazaaa07 »

Hi all

First time poster

I am cycling from Peterborough to Ben Nevis then I'm trekking to the summit

I have been looking routes on google Maps and it gives me 3 routes

Was hoping some on could give me advice or best route to take

Thanks
Last edited by Graham on 7 Feb 2016, 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title correction
Deckie

Re: Peterborough to Ben Nevis

Post by Deckie »

My best advice would be to do what I did.
1. Draw a line on the map from Peterborough to Fort William.
2. Break that down into reasonable daily distances.
3. Find places to stay that match those distances.
4. Refine the route between those places based on the type of road you are comfortable cycling on and the "hilliness" of the route.

Bear in mind that regardless of how much practice you put in, you will want shorter distances for the first couple of days, and you will not want a particularly tough last couple of days. Saying that, you will be going over Rannock Moor and Glen Coe on your last day, while they are high, it is not a difficult climb and the ride down into Fort William is good. The day before is likely to be tougher as it will be up and down all day.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

You need to give some more information, e.g.:

- How long do you intend to take for the journey?
- Where will you stay overnight (camping or hotel/hostel/B&B)?
- What sort of trip do you want (fast as possible, stop and look at everything interesting along the way, or something in between)?
- Attitude to hills (like/dislike/indifferent)? (You can't entirely avoid them, of course!)
- Do you want to stick to roads, or are you (and your cycle) happy on bridleways or rougher stuff?

FWIW I did something vaguely similar as part of a trip from Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan Point, via Lincoln*, York*, Durham*, Corbridge*, Kelso*, skirting Edinburgh to S and W, Stirling*, Crianlarich, Glencoe*, and on past Fort William. Asterisks are overnight stops. It worked pretty well for me, but as always YMMV.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

As others have said - with a bit more information I can probably help, especially if you want information on where to camp, I have cycled to Ben Nevis (via Snowdon and Sca Fell) from Hampshire (and back).

What sort of daily distances do you want to do? Have you got time for a detour via Arran rather than cycle through Glasgow or Edinburgh? Do you want a direct route or a scenic route etc. and how much time do you have? Camping or B&B?
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Take the tourist path up to the summit. Make sure you have a map and compass with you. Beware of cornices even in summer
dazaaa07

Post by dazaaa07 »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies :0)

I plan to leave on the Monday and get to fort William on the Friday

I am taking as little as possible with me and will stop in b&b or hotels

I am very comfy at riding around a 100 to 125 a day

Any routes to where to stay would be superb

Thanks
dazaaa07

Post by dazaaa07 »

Hi again

I really don't mind hills and I think I would like a good bit of scenery to look at

I would prefer to stick to good safe as possible routes and keep away from rugged terain

Thanks
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:Take the tourist path up to the summit. Make sure you have a map and compass with you. Beware of cornices even in summer

If you are going to cycle all that way, then why not go an interesting way up the mountain. I suggest the CMD arête, or the ledge route. The first is suitable for adventurous walkers, the second for those with a little mountaineering experience, neither suitable for the bike.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Mr.Benton wrote:
PhilWhitehurst wrote:Take the tourist path up to the summit. Make sure you have a map and compass with you. Beware of cornices even in summer

If you are going to cycle all that way, then why not go an interesting way up the mountain. I suggest the CMD arête, or the ledge route. The first is suitable for adventurous walkers, the second for those with a little mountaineering experience, neither suitable for the bike.

I presume he's carrying axe and crampons for all the snow up there.
dazaaa07

Post by dazaaa07 »

I am taking the tourist route up the mountain more than likely with a guide
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

dazaaa07 wrote:I am taking the tourist route up the mountain more than likely with a guide
The tourist route is pretty simple, you shouldn't need a guide to follow the path. What you will need at this time of year is winter equipment i.e. ice axe/crampons, and to know how to use it. Once the snow has gone it's just a bit of hillwalking. You do need to be prepared for changeable weather; and you need to be careful on the summit if the visibility is poor - there are some opportunities for getting into serious trouble. But if you have common sense and the knowledge and ability to navigate you will be fine. If you haven't already done so, have a look at http://www.mcofs.org.uk/ben-nevis-navigation.asp.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

It's a fairly busy route up the tourist trail, the CMD arrete is a lot quieter but probably best to do with a buddy.

Last year in October I took one of my daughters up there on a glorious October day. For a very brief moment of that day I can honestly say that out of the 68 million or so people in the UK...... I was the highest!! Purely on physical terms.

Da Ben.jpg

All the best, Simon
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You wouldn't catch me up there thus time of year. They've had to suspend search yet again for these two.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... ad-weather
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Paulatic wrote:You wouldn't catch me up there thus time of year. They've had to suspend search yet again for these two.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... ad-weather

Yes, I've been following this incident - it's some times difficult when you go up for a long weekend (or a relatively short time) and want to 'tick' things off, whereas when you've got more time, you go to the pub during those conditions! :shock:
dazaaa07

Post by dazaaa07 »

I am doing the walk on the 4th June

Great picture don't think I will try that lol