Peterborough to Ben Nevis

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
TrevA

Re: Peterborough to Ben Nevis

Postby TrevA » 19 Feb 2016, 7:20am

Looking at the 3 routes on Google maps, 2 of them cross the Pennines, and one cuts across the country south of the Pennines and follows a westerly track up to Glasgow and beyond. That one is likely to be a bit quicker as there will be less climbing involved, but it wil also be less scenic. The problem going that way is getting past the built up area between Manchester and Liverpool. The distance of the 3 routes only varies by about 20 miles. So it's really up to you and the type of riding that you enjoy.

Personally, I'd ride up to York, then cut across country via Barnard Castle and Alston towards Carlisle, then head up the old main road towards Glasgow - the B7076/7078. Then via Loch Lomond and Rannoch Moor to Fort William.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

dazaaa07

Postby dazaaa07 » 19 Feb 2016, 8:21pm

Hi Trev

I am tempted by that route but will be stopping over in Paisley for a night as I'm stopping with family up there.

So I'm looking at the other route going thru Derbyshire.

Was wondering now what kind of App or product to use so I don't end up on the M6 or something like that

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 21 Feb 2016, 8:22am

Looking at the route more closely, after Manchester it pretty much follows the A6 going north, so quite easy to navigate. Although it looks as though it goes onto the M6 north of Carlisle, it's actually following a minor road than runs parallel to the M6.

We did much of this route (in the opposite direction) during our Jogle ride. We rode from Fort William to Crewe via Rannoch Moor, Glasgow, Lockerbie, Carlisle, Shap, Garstang, Preston, Wigan and Warrington.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com