NCN 3 - Chepstow Link - Help ?!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
paul walters

NCN 3 - Chepstow Link - Help ?!

Post by paul walters »

Hi.

I'm planning a LEJOG this May, and from Padstow to Bristol intend to use NCN 3 as I already have the maps.

BUT, I need a link from Bristol to the Severn Bridge. I see on the OS that the Severn Way goes roughly the right way, but I doubt I can ride it, it being a footpath.

Does anyone know of a route I can use from the end of NCN 3 to the Bridge ? Where can I get detailed route notes ?

Many thanks for any help

Paul W
700c

Post by 700c »

OK, if I was you - I'd avoid going through the industrial wasteland that is Avonmouth. It's truly awful. Assuming NCN3 takes you right into Bristol City Centre, do this;

Stokes Croft (Road) > Cheltenham Road > Gloucester Road > Filton Road > Gloucester Road North. These roads are busy but are OK. This will bring you into Almondsbury.

Now follow road signs to Tockington, then to Olveston (you'll be on [almost] country lanes now).

Once in Olveston, follow road signs to Aust - you'll be back on a B road, and this road leads directly to the Bridge. Once at the roundabout (just before the bridge), go the wrong way around it (on the pavement) and you'll find a path that seems to go nowhere - follow the path and you'll find yourself going up a slight incline towards the bridge. Keep going and you'll end up crossing the bridge on the north cycle path.

Hope that helps.
paul walters

Post by paul walters »

Thanks Mate !

I will get a street map of Bristol and plot away !!
ransos

Re: NCN 3 - Chepstow Link - Help ?!

Post by ransos »

paul walters 2 wrote:Hi.

I'm planning a LEJOG this May, and from Padstow to Bristol intend to use NCN 3 as I already have the maps.

BUT, I need a link from Bristol to the Severn Bridge. I see on the OS that the Severn Way goes roughly the right way, but I doubt I can ride it, it being a footpath.

Does anyone know of a route I can use from the end of NCN 3 to the Bridge ? Where can I get detailed route notes ?

Many thanks for any help

Paul W

What I suggest you do is get a copy of the Avon Cycleway as heading west out of Bristol on this route is more direct than going through north Bristol, yet avoids going through the middle of Avonmouth. It shows the link to take to the Severn bridge.

You could also avoid Bristol altogether by joining the Avon cycleway near Clevedon, and then going via Portbury and the Avonmouth Bridge
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I hit SW Bristol from the A38, and headed out on the A4 under the Clifton Suspension Bridge, then took a right, up hill, and went past the zoo.

Head for Cribbs Causway, then via Pillning to Aust.
Mick F. Cornwall
flash

Post by flash »

I live in Bristol and Ransos is pretty well spot on. Avonmouth is OK It's industry but interesting in a bleak sort of way and flat, which in Bristol is unusual. I've ridden the route from Clevedon to Avonmouth it isn't as scenic as Mick's but as I say it's flatter. It may be the fact I tour on fixed gear that makes me biased.