Highland Midges?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
BottomGear

Highland Midges?

Post by BottomGear »

I'm making my way down from JOG early June and will be camping much of the way including a probable first night in the Strathnaver area. Will the famous midges I've heard about be a nuisance at this time of the year?
Oglet Lane Banjo Player

Re: Highland Midges?

Post by Oglet Lane Banjo Player »

BottomGear wrote:I'm making my way down from JOG early June and will be camping much of the way including a probable first night in the Strathnaver area. Will the famous midges I've heard about be a nuisance at this time of the year?

It is very difficult to tell, last summer was very quiet then we saw an invasion in the autumn. This website should help http://midgeforecast.co.uk

Take your repellent just in case.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Probably - take a midge head net or buy one whilst you're there - just in case!
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

phil parker wrote:Probably - take a midge head net or buy one whilst you're there - just in case!

Good idea, for negligible weight a head net would be a sound bet!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Camp in the most exposed place you can find - midgies can't cope with much wind. Even a gentle breeze will deter them.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Midges love coniferous forests. Avoid camp sites in or near coniferous forests. 50% DEET repellents have some effect. I'd try netting too.
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

pwa wrote:Midges love coniferous forests. Avoid camp sites in or near coniferous forests. 50% DEET repellents have some effect. I'd try netting too.

Ah, didn't that! thanks pwa :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Probably yes, after a particularly awful night with them one June, the nearest shop to top up the deterents had run out....... they had been a nuisance from early April, following on from a damp mild winter....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

Before my Lejog in 2010 I bought some Pyramid Ecoguard Xtreme, seemly now called Piramid Trek Sensitive and a head net.The insect repellent is DEET free and the reviews on Amazon give it a high positive rating.
http://www.travelpharm.com/repellents-c ... 20ml-p7924

However, mending a puncture near Spean Bridge after some light rain, I got multiple bites on my thigh which remained intensely itchy for a couple of days. I hadn't applied any insect repellent beforehand. Be warned, puncture+no insect repellent=bites.
hamster

Post by hamster »

This is about the best thing for me for midge bites (apart from prevention of course) - it stops the persistent itching
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Care-St ... -25ml.html
beany_bot

Post by beany_bot »

I live in the Trossachs in Scotland. So take it from a local. Trust me. Avon skin so soft. Is the best things for stopping midge bites. But also take a head net and crucially some duck tape. If they get really really bad you will want to tape your gloves to your sleeves and your trousers to your socks. Yes. They get that bad.