Who's setting off when

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Emonda

Re: Who's setting off when

Post by Emonda »

Johnny Ridgeback wrote:I am setting off from LE on Sunday 8th May, anyone else setting off then?

A couple of weeks later - worried this weather isn't going to change!
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

BottomGear wrote:Never even heard of Bogmyrtle before, I shall endeavour to find some and report on it's smell!

Yay! :-)

- Tim
RickH

Post by RickH »

Emonda wrote:
Johnny Ridgeback wrote:I am setting off from LE on Sunday 8th May, anyone else setting off then?

I still keep on wearing my winter cycling shoes (Shimano MW80s).

I recall I was also glad I'd packed them on a whim (it was a supported trip & I had spare space/weight) on LEJOG in late July 2009 as I wore them heading north out of Inveraray, having lost the feeling in my feet for the last 20 or so miles on the way into the town the previous day in my ordinary cycling shoes! :(

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

RickH wrote:
Emonda wrote:

I still keep on wearing my winter cycling shoes (Shimano MW80s).

I recall I was also glad I'd packed them on a whim (it was a supported trip & I had spare space/weight) on LEJOG in late July 2009 as I wore them heading north out of Inveraray, having lost the feeling in my feet for the last 20 or so miles on the way into the town the previous day in my ordinary cycling shoes! :(

Rick.

I got these for my trip - Shimano XM9 (new this year I think). They're like waterproof (Goretex) hiking boots with cleats. I was planning on taking them as my only shoe on the tour... do you think I'll regret that? (leaving 24 May):

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/us ... ontentsPro

- Tim
Last edited by tbessie on 27 Apr 2016, 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Well you have about a month to put some miles into them - and then you''ll know!
I'd say they would be about right for this week, but how will you fare if you encounter warmer weather?
In any case, I'd pack something light for camp shoes etc. - a pair of flip flops at least.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Unless you are going mountain waking they look a bit overkill. End of May I'd hope to be wearing sandals. [BLACK SUN WITH RAYS]️
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

DaveP wrote:Well you have about a month to put some miles into them - and then you''ll know!
I'd say they would be about right for this week, but how will you fare if you encounter warmer weather?
In any case, I'd pack something light for camp shoes etc. - a pair of flip flops at least.

I'm thinking a pair of Chacos that I own, I love them. Or maybe some of the lighter Keens.

- Tim
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

When you are embarking on a long journey, that's when you really need familiar footwear that you know will be comfy.
Saddles are just the same, only more so :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Eldog

Post by Eldog »

Me too but not sure about the weather at the mo - out in shorts two days ago and got caught in a snow storm; in Dorset!
Paulatic

Who's setting off when

Post by Paulatic »

Came across my first end to Enders on the road today. A group of six been having a very tough time due to the cold and constant north wind.
They'd battled over Shap yesterday in a blizzard. I met them just before Beattock summit today and rode with them a while. It had taken them over 7 hours from Carlisle to get there (ave 6mph) with another 30+ miles to go. The wind has been very strong today.
The plus point was, they said, they didn't have to carry many clothes. They were wearing everything in an attempt to keep warm !
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
martinp062

Post by martinp062 »

I,m setting off from LE Tuesday 10th midday ish 15 day
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'm off on 29th July (starting with a half day due to train times). This is the fifth one for me so I reckon I almost certainly know the route without using my GPS of maps. Looking forward with 82 days to go.
Unaice

Post by Unaice »

Would someone like to consider me, I would like to join a group from LeJog (vice versa) after 22 May. I'm from Birmingham.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Well, after over 12 months of planning the date has finally arrived.
Train to Penzance first thing tomorrow, pedal to our b&b near Lands End, and set off on Sunday morning.
If our legs aren't up to it now, they never will be.
:D :D :D :D :D
Emonda

Post by Emonda »

Best of luck! How long will you take?