Booking rail tickets - what about the bikes?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It still comes back to convenience and simplicity.

Yes, a train can be booked cheaply. Even a bike may be bookable.

But with all your gear, changing trains. And my precious Mercian being strung up like a dead rabbit in a carriage I can't get to.

How do I KNOW it won't be put off at the wrong station? How do I KNOW I can get it on in the first place. How do I KNOW it'll be looked after?

In 1986, I cycled JOGLE and caught the train up from Glasgow where I was staying at the time. I changed trains at Inverness, and caught the Wick/Thurso train, making sure I was at the right end at Georgemass Junction where the two carriages split. I arrived at Wick late on a Saturday afternoon ready to cycle up to JOG YHA for the trip down the following day.

Before I bought the ticket, I checked about bikes, and was informed that there was a limit to the amount of bikes and I couldn't book. This worried me somewhat, so Mrs Mick F and me made a bike bag with loads of room with the bike upside down complete with racks with its wheels off in separate bags stuffed inside too, and also with the rear mudguard off in there. The whole thing had big straps so I could carry it over my shoulder. I also had to carry my four pannier bags.

My luggage was just luggage. I didn't have a bike - just luggage.

When I got to Wick, I unzipped my luggage, re-built the bike, wrapped up the bag and strapped it on top of the rear rack, and pedaled the 20 odd miles to JOG. I arrived at JOG and posted my bag home.

I suppose I could repeat the idea. I still have the bag..........
Mick F. Cornwall
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Thanks for that andymiller. :lol:

I actually think your suggestion is an exellent solution as it allows for delays and mishaps in the journey without being tied to pre booked train.

I am hoping to do LEJOG again this year and will seriously look into this posties resturant thing. Pehaps checking with the train opperator regarding the maximum luggage size allowable I dont want to be caught out with 'rules is rules' again. :oops:

Would a car have to be picked up at a pre arranged time or date? :?:
Be carefull out there.
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

Ok, ok, I am not going to defend my actions regarding the car thing.

That said, we though long and hard about transport home. The train was the obvious option and the hassle that goes with it is part of the whole LEJOG trip.

We also considered flying back - post bikes home from Wick - train to Inverness - Fly Inverness to Luton. A very cheap option. Then I though "how do I get a bike bag there". I didn't realise there was such a thing as "Post Restante". Dont forget the cost of purchasing a bike bag though and then multiply that by, in our case, 3.

Then I plugged and plugged and plugged at various companys and eventually got a car and fuel paid for. Ok - not so good on the environment (although bear in mind there are 3 of us in the same car) but a quick way of getting home. It also means that the care of our precious machines remains with us. Not with baggage handlers or train guards.

As for the car hire logistics, you need to:
Specify a collection point at start and end of journey (ok, might be stating the obvious here).

So, I went on the web, found a campsite near LE, gave them a quick call, booked the three of us in and specified a time for the car to be collected. Also advised the campsite of my plans.

Then did the same for JOG - This time chose a guest house. Specified a time I want the car to be delivered to it.

Lastly, I told the hire company what time they can collect the car (from my house. This will be after I have dropped my 2 fellow cyclists off.

So, a bit of planning but also a door to door service.

IMHO - the extra cost justifies the peace of mind and reduction in stress levels.

Also, if you look at the overall additional cost of bike bags, etc it is not a lot more expensive that the pain of the train.
RaasayWarden

Post by RaasayWarden »

Most(all?) trains on the Thurso/Wick line carry 4 cycles and there are 4 services (2 on Sundays). From my experience (twice a year user), advanced bike reservations is pretty much essential June thru mid-September.

Be aware of two rumours:

1) due to the increased bike capacity, the van will not run in future;
2) from 2009 there will be one service on Sundays.

I'm pressing HQ to investigate.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

If I don't manage to get my bike booked on the train to Inverness/Wick this summer, I think I'll try Mick F's idea of packing it a bag.

Are you saying Mick that with wheels off that the 'frame size' bag doesn't exceed baggage rules size-wise? Will it have to go in the luggage van?

It's a blooming good option though.

Keith
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A mistake! It wasn't 1986! That was the year I was cycling in USA. Sorry, my JOGLE was 1994.

It's a long time ago, so things may be different now.

(Actually, the bag we made is still in the brown paper package I posted it in, and never opened!) (I took brown paper, string, felt pen and sticky-tape with me.)

I just carried my gear onto the train at Glasgow Queen Street, and sat down on a seat with my stuff in the luggage area by the carriage door. I made sure I got a seat near the door.

At Inverness, I changed trains, there was plenty time as I remember, then repeated the proceedure when the train came in.

It was late May 1994, and I think I was the only cyclist going to Wick that day.

Nobody batted an eyelid about my luggage, even though both trains were quite busy.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

An excerpt from my 1994 journal:

I boarded a very crowded 0710 for Inverness, glad of my cycle bag - I could stow it all as luggage and keep an eye on it. Modern trains sometimes don’t carry bicycles due to the lack of Guards’ Vans. My bike was now just ‘luggage’! The train arrived on time at Inverness at 1040. Luggage and me survived.

I crossed the station for the Wick train, not without a little confusion about which train for Thurso and which for Wick. I believed the train I boarded was the right one, and I also believed I had to change at Georgemass Jnct. (Wherever that was!) Anyway we departed on time at llam. I tucked in to pork pies and cottage cheese I’d brought with me, and bought a couple cups of tea from the buffet car at 70p each. With lots of snow on the mountains and wildlife on view from the windows, including a large herd of Red Deer, it was a very beautiful and memorable journey.

The train arrived at Wick at 2.45pm. I didn’t have to worry that I was on the right train, as at Georgemass the train split - one half going on to Thurso, the other to Wick. After re-assembling the bike, and tying the now empty bike-bag onto the top of my panniers, I was on the road by 3pm, wending my way northwards for the 17 miles to John O'Groats. The weather was very windy and chilly, but very sunny. There was a head-wind all the way to the hostel at Canisbay. A difficult but good ride. I noted that as it was very windy and bleak so far north here, I'd wrap up warm the following morning on my way south.

I arrived at the hostel at 4.15, but there was a notice on the front door announcing that the hostel wasn’t going to open till 5.00. As there was a phone-box just a little way down the road, I phoned home and gave Hilary an update on how things were going promising that I’d phone again later after I’d settled in.

There was a small Post Office-cum-shop nearby, I parcelled up the bike-bag into an already prepared brown paper parcel, I stuck it all down with sticky tape and called in to get it weighed and to post it home. The Post Office bit of the shop was closed as it was Saturday! There was no way I was carrying it all the way to Land’s End, so I asked nicely if they’d weigh it anyway, charge me the postage, and hold it until Monday. Thankfully, the chap behind the counter said he could do it.

See! I can be done!
Mick F. Cornwall
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

I have been doing a bit of research into the possibility of posting stuff to make getting back from JOG easier. It appears that the post office in Wick is called pultenytown post office and it is under threat of closure.

I don't know how quick this post office closure programme is going to be but if you are relying on this at all it would be better to check in advance.

It might be shut by the time you get there.
Be carefull out there.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pultneytown is way out in the suburbs. :D , and their PO is indeed under threat of closure.
There is no plan to close the Post Office in Wick High Street.
PH

Post by PH »

The only awkward part of the journey is north of Inverness and there are a few options including the new cyclebus
http://www.timdearmancoaches.co.uk/cyclebus.htm
Or if you're in a group there's a cycle taxi
http://www.greatglentravel.com/

I've been up to the Highlands three times with a bike, never had a problem with the trains, just made sure I booked well in advance and had cycle reservations. For a real treat the Caledonian sleeper up to Inverness is a great experience. And cheap if you're lucky with tickets.
Next time I'll combine the sleeper with the cycle bus, it'd be a great start to a holiday, far better than a long days driving.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

How about bypassing the awkward northern section?

Train to Aberdeen - not a major cycling route so not too much competition for the available bike spaces (I was the only bike both ways last year).
Ferry to Kirkwall - loadsaroom, about £20?
ride to Burwick (20 miles)
ferry direct to JoG (May -Sept only)

Edit: The fly in the ointment might be the Aberdeen-Kirkwall ferry times. It arrives in Kirkwall late evening, if I remember correctly. Camp Kirkwall, catch 0945 Burwick ferry, quick stamp and go in JoG?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Clever idea, Andrew! and far more enjoyable!
Mick F. Cornwall
peterm

Post by peterm »

Cranky1 mentioned that peole at Penzance and Wick should hire out bike boxes for stranded end to enders so yesterday I went into the Cycle Centre in Pz and had a chat.

They are very willing to take delivery of people's bikes if you're starting from Lands End and would quite happily pack up bikes and have them delivered back to your homes address for those finishing at this end. They do actually mention this on their website. Obviously you pay the cost.
I didn't realise but they do this quite regularly already. For those whose bike needs a service they will unpack, set up and fully service your bike ready for the trip.

I use the Cycle Centre for all my cycling needs and would totally recommend them, John and Ian the mechanics really know their stuff. In fact John is doing Lejog himself this year-in 5 days!
No they're not paying me but they are building up my new Mercian this week. Their website is cornwallcyclecentre.co.uk tel.01736 351671
themadorganist

Post by themadorganist »

hi - im not sure where exactly you want to be going after JOG but to get back from inverness shouldnt cause too many problems. Last summer (in the days of GNER) I booked from Inverness to Newark on line for £15 including the bike - for a seven hour journey! Basically you booked the basic requirements online then they ring you up to confirm and do the rest. Not sure how this will be with the new East coast services but you are right - there are definitely some great deals to be had if you book early enough. Good luck with it!
flash

Post by flash »

Where can you buy a Ground Effect Tardis bike bag? It sounds like a good plan. I'm hoping to go in August but was a bit worried about having to hit deadlines in order to get the bike on a pre booked train. Alternatively is anyone going about the same time with a space in a van / car for a bike towards Bristol?