Recommended route from Chester north?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tbessie

Recommended route from Chester north?

Post by tbessie »

I'm in Chester, taking a rest day. Tomorrow I continue North, I'm thinking if going through Liverpool (might even stay there even thigh it's less than 20 miles). After that north to the lakes and possibly the Yorkshire Dales.

Any suggested routes to avoid big traffic and major roads?

- Tim

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D5803 using hovercraft full of eels.
eileithyia

Re: Recommended route from Chester north?

Post by eileithyia »

Not sure about avoiding major roads as never actually done all of it, but you could do a route up thru Wirral, and Birkenhead to get the ferry across the Mersey (cue for a song), up to Crosby Maghull Burscough / Burscough Bridge Rufford.... toward Preston as you go into Preston look out for signs for the Guild Wheel, this will take you around Preston... either side.

Can't explain a route in detail, but there are a lot of lane smaller routes that we use cutting across from Lydiate / Maghull area toward Burscough and Much Hoole. If you do end up on the A59 for the last part toward Preston there is a cycle route along it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Yes, getting across the Mersey is the critical factor.
The Runcorn Widnes bridge may look like an obvious choice on a road map but I've certainly never fancied trying it on a bike, and the traffic is a lot heavier now than when I used to use it. In addition, I believe, based on a fairly recent post on this site, that it is currently afflicted with road works of some sort.
So the ferry from Birkenhead, hourly service during office hours is the way to go if you want to go to Liverpool. Having grown up just down the road I can't see the attraction myself, but Hey - Its your trip!
The other option would be to go through Warrington and cross the river there, which is what we did - except we were going the other way. There was some traffic, but it wasn't too unpleasant.
Summarising the reverse of our route, leave the A49 at the last roundabout before the motorway then go round the back of the industrial area to cross under the M62. Head for Newton le Willows then do a little dogleg in Haydock to cross under the A580. Skirt the West edge of Garswood then into and through Orrel and cross under the M6 heading for Sheavington and points North. Should all make sense if you can see Google Earth or similar.
Nothing special about this - we were on a mission to do it in 10 days, but its surviveable :D
If I was in your place and had gone into the 'pool I'd be looking at coastal options for the ride North. A thought.
HTH
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can't advise what you want ............... my route maybe wouldn't suit you.

Chester out on the A56 then via Helsby, Frodsham, Sutton Weaver, J11 M56, Daresbury, A5060 into Warrington.
A49 via M62 J9, Winwick, Newton le Willows, Aston in Makerfield, Wigan, Standish, Euxton (pronounced X-ton) to Bamber Bridge and into Preston, then A6 all the way to Carlisle.

Born near Chester, brought up in Wigan.
Family all from Wigan and Preston area. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Well, you do have lots of choice.

Liverpool is a lovely city and the ferry with accompanying music is a fine way of entering the city and somewhere well worth spending some time and a night. Route up from Chester nothing great but not hard to follow, and closer than going back to the A49 and up through Warrington (haven’t done the Widnes route). From Liverpool you can go north, to Preston, either round the coast or directly, and then follow the A6 route, pretty quick and straightforward. Or, from Liverpool, you could go north east, to Chorley, Clitheroe, Slaidburn and into the Dales – bit more complicated route finding, but ok – and then to High Bentham, Ingleton, Dent, Sedbergh and keep on north, not too hard to get back to your planned route north and the way I went on an ETE some years ago. The Preston route is flatter from Liverpool; the Warrington route from Chester takes you through some old towns and flattish countryside to get up to Preston, as set out by Mick F, but I don’t find it especially attractive. The Dales route takes you through beautiful countryside, generally quiet or very quiet roads and it also takes you up and down some big hills. If you see anywhere nicer than Dentdale at this time of year then it must be very special. Cycled up Garsdale yesterday (next dale north) on way back to York from the Lakes and it was beautiful. Sedbergh is a pleasant enough place for a café stop.

Seems like you’re well on your way!
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I ended up going from Chester to Southport, didn't spend any time in Liverpool (took the ferry). I'm in Lancaster today, though I'd wanted to stay in Kendal. Every single place I called or checked online was fully booked - why would Kendal be full on Tuesday in June? Who ARE these layabouts?? ;-)

I'm only going to be going to Edinburgh on this trip and will do the rest in the future. Fastest way would be straight there via Carlisle, but I'm thinking of heading to the Dales and maybe checking out that town you mention, Dent. Anyway, across the Dales, to Newcastle (I've never been), then to Edinburgh.

Any opinions on route from here to Edinburgh?

cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Kendal fully booked? - School half term may have some bearing.

A nice way to Dent- Find a route over to the north side of the river Lune and head for Halton. Follow road to meet B6254 to Kirby Lonsdale. (13 miles). Then "T" right on A65 followed immediately left over "Devils Bridge" (brew stop) and "TL" onto A683.
Follow A683 through Casterton and "TR" to Barbon ( there is a short cut to miss Barbon if your map skills are O.K.). and on through Barbondale to Gawthorp. (There is a steep hill down into Gawthorp so take care.) (23M from Lancaster)
Now choice - At Gawthorp you will see sign 'NR.68' - Turn right to visit Dent (brew stop 3/4 M) but I would head for Sedburgh (30M) if wanting to head to Newcastle. Possibly onto Kirby Stephen (A683), Brough (47M), Middleton in Teesdale, Stanhope but this is an area I have not cycled so no knowledge of road conditions. :roll:

Even though there are "A" roads they are usually fairly quiet.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
tbessie

Post by tbessie »

I just wondered, is there some reason to prefer Dent to other Dales villages? Will I be missing something if I don't go through it?

LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Dent is a particularly beautiful village in a particularly beautiful setting. But there are lots of other nice places around.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Dent is a small "hamlet" and is very popular because of its setting in Dentdale valley. There a couple of campsites and a few amenities with shop, cafe, pub etc.
One word of caution is the exit from the east end is rather uphill out of the valley especially going over to Garsdale.
You'll never know if you don't try it.