How do you acknowledge cyclists you pass?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Audax67

Re: How do you acknowledge cyclists you pass?

Post by Audax67 »

al_yrpal wrote:I dont pass other cyclists (except those coming from the other direction :lol: ). They usually pass me. My greeting - "Hiya!"
Stradageeks and Mamils are the least friendly unless they are struggling with fixing a puncture.

Al

Alas my Mamil days are done: I'm now an OMIL or even an OFIL. Depends what I've had for lunch.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

I say hello or smile but I find only about half of cyclists smile back. Shame.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

'Na' then' usually gets a puzzled look from those not brought up in north Yorkshire!
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

Or I might say hya butt, or shwmae of course.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Or alright pal, if you are from Llanelli :D
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

On my way to the trails about 4 miles away,it takes me on farm roads favoured by road cyclists.
I say hello to them,but 99% of them just look on,so I don't bother now,or at least I haven't the past few weeks.
No idea why they are so ignorant,but I have put it down to a superiority complex that comes off them.
When I started out MTB'ing,there was an unhealthy rivallry between MTB'ers and Roadies.They just plain didn't like each other.
Again,I have no idea why,it's just how it was up my way.
As soon as I get onto the trails,it is a different story though,and even the walkers are very friendly.
There is one serious looking guy who flies about the gravel trails on a GT Grade,not looking or acknowledging anyone.
A real growling ******.
I just hope the old rivallry isn't coming back.
It actually makes me glad I don't cycle on roads,because their constant battles with motorised transport has created some monsters.
donald.stewart.nj

Post by donald.stewart.nj »

I say g'day.

I was in a Newcastle cafe years ago and I could not understand our waitress. Another waitress came over and told us they could not understand her either because she was from York. I thought it was just me.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I usually nod and say 'Alright, mate?' in the UK. The vast majority of cyclists acknowledge me in some way. I've done around 4,000 miles in the UK the last couple of years, and can count the number of cyclists who flat out ignored me on one hand.

Funny thing touring through France and Belgium last year: when I'm on trails and canal paths and the like, I'll listen to music and podcasts on headphones while I'm riding. To other cyclists and pedestrians I would say 'bonjour', and they were invariably reply in kind. But when you can only read their lips, 'bonjour' looks like they're blowing you a kiss!

Quite often gave me a chuckle when I'd pass a large number of hikers and they all blow me kisses in turn.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Cycling in Cheshire - my greeting is usually "owdo" but sometimes "Heyup".
I find early rush hour cycle commuters pleasant responsive and courteous, but the "serious" bikers later in the evening quite rude.
Hey ho :)
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Down South in the 'fifties we used to always give a single "yodel" [similar sound to what a milkman made] or "Up The League" which usually got the response of "Yer. Right up". Unfortunately, the "League" and milk-roundsmen are no more. Around here anyway! Of course you never usually got to many responses from the some of the plus-fours brigade! :D :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I think the most important thing about communication with other road users (not specifically about other cyclists) is clear lenses. It's easier to interact with a dog walker, jogger, horse rider, pedestrian if they can see your eyes, it's harder to determine the demeanour of cyclists wearing dark or mirrored lenses.

Eight times out of ten I say nothing to an an approaching cyclist, usually just a nod and a very brief raise of the fingers off the drop. Other frequent cyclists do this too and notice the greeting, less frequent cyclists do not and I think it's where a lot of the 'roadies are rude' comments come from, they're not necessarily rude, you're not picking up the signal.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

"they're not necessarily rude, you're not picking up the signal."

No, no....they are actually the most likely to be rude, in my experience :)
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

largeallan wrote:No, no....they are actually the most likely to be rude, in my experience :)

....and mine..... :wink:

The overwhelming majority of cyclists ignore me. I usually say 'Hiya' but rarely get a response. I honestly thought that it was down to where I lived....North East Coast...and it's intersting, and enlightening, to read that this is NOT a local issue.

I live in a stunning part of England and I make the most of it, I walk a lot. Just about every walker that I meet says 'Hello'

In the motorcycling world, we always wave or flash the high beam, to acknowledge oncoming riders........on the continent bikers usually cock a leg out when they see you or pass you...

Most cyclist that I encounter are giving it 'Captain Focused'...Head down, look ahead, I''m on it, with their 'I'm not prepared to pass the time of day with you' face on....

Guess I can't say what I actually think about the lack of friendliness in the cycling community ( NOT pretty ).....I will get 'Moderated'......Again !!!.....