In Edinburgh...after an amusing episode...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
toontra

Re: In Edinburgh...after an amusing episode...

Post by toontra »

Mick F wrote:If you had seen that sign, was there any option open to you? Any diversion signs?

I remember cycling out of Edinburgh in 2006 on the A90 and found that the A90 towards the Forth Road Bridge is verboten for cyclists. The last time I'd cycled on it was in 1980 and it was fine then.

I had a great deal of trouble finding my way to the bridge as there didn't seem to be any signed alternative to get me to the other end of the banned section. The main road out of Edinburgh isn't banned to cyclists, only later along the dual carriageway bit. No advice was advertised, no diversion signs, no nothing. :oops:

I did exactly the same on my first LEJoG in 2008 Mick, and ended up in a muddy field at 5am. I finally worked out where I should be going and have done that section every year since on my London - Aberdeen 3-day rides (just completed the 2016 one).

You'll be pleased to hear that the section from the dual carriageway to the bridge has recently been upgraded with a really nice cycle path (even acoustically screened from the road!). One word of advice though - no need to follow the NCN route 1 signs to turn left approaching Queensferry. You can just follow the B924 down the hill to the bridge. No idea why the NCN route goes that absurd way!
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

Paulatic wrote:Pleased it had a happy ending.

First post on here, hi all.

The A1 from Dunbar is the A1, not the A1(M) as it is from, say just north of Scotch Corner.

I actually think that the image is wrong as the with the sign having a blue background, it denotes a motorway, but it is a primary route and not a motorway and therefore I reckon it should be the same as the one where the A1 and A720 join, see link - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.92403 ... 312!8i6656.

From local knowledge, not that I live near there, the A199 which I am sure is the old A1 is a safer, quieter bet next time you cycle the length of the country.
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

toontra wrote:I did exactly the same on my first LEJoG in 2008 Mick, and ended up in a muddy field at 5am. I finally worked out where I should be going and have done that section every year since on my London - Aberdeen 3-day rides (just completed the 2016 one).

You'll be pleased to hear that the section from the dual carriageway to the bridge has recently been upgraded with a really nice cycle path (even acoustically screened from the road!). One word of advice though - no need to follow the NCN route 1 signs to turn left approaching Queensferry. You can just follow the B924 down the hill to the bridge. No idea why the NCN route goes that absurd way!

Interested in your route from London-Aberdeen. I'm planning to ride Aberdeen-London next Spring, probably over a more leisurely 4-5 days, compared to your 3 days. Did you ride on mostly trunk roads aiming for a more direct route? I'd prefer quieter back roads if possible.
toontra

Re: RE: Re: In Edinburgh...after an amusing episode...

Post by toontra »

Smith873 wrote:
toontra wrote:I did exactly the same on my first LEJoG in 2008 Mick, and ended up in a muddy field at 5am. I finally worked out where I should be going and have done that section every year since on my London - Aberdeen 3-day rides (just completed the 2016 one).

Interested in your route from London-Aberdeen. I'm planning to ride Aberdeen-London next Spring, probably over a more leisurely 4-5 days, compared to your 3 days. Did you ride on mostly trunk roads aiming for a more direct route? I'd prefer quieter back roads if possible.

Hi. Mainly quiet back roads from Edinburgh south.

I'm away from my computer for a couple of weeks but will try and post links to the route when I get back.
fixedfixer

Post by fixedfixer »

Smith873 wrote:

Follow route 1 north of Edinburgh - the bit between Dundee and Aberdeen follows the coast for quite a way on off road bike tracks. If you go beyond Aberdeen there is a long stretch of cycle route on an old railway line heading north (rail trails are not everyone's idea of a nice ride but it will keep you away from Aberdeen traffic (aka Oil Money in big 4x4's)
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

fixedfixer wrote:
Aberdeen traffic (aka Oil Money in big 4x4's)

They're the least of your worries, its more the School run, 4x4's, Vans, Articulated lorries and road works that you have to dodge.
The worst ones are the BUSSES that overtake just before pulling into a bus stop OR Pull out "right in front you" so you either have to stop or swerve out into traffic to miss them.
I know from experience riding there.

Some parts of route 1 in Aberdeenshire and Moray are in my opinion only suitable for "mountain bikes" with full suspension (scenic but rough).

Why didn't they "tarmac" the old railway sections instead of "gravelling" them? It would be cheaper for maintainence and last longer.
Gravel paths/tracks NEED to be re-done on a yearly basis to keep them up to standard which is labour intensive.
Tarmac costs more initially but is lower maintainence and longer lasting (5 to 10 years depending on use) if its done properly.

I used to work in the "recreation dept" of Bromley council back in the '80's when they started woodchipping and gravelling footpaths in a "cost cutting programme" that COST more annually and received more complaints from the test areas than they got from the rest of the borough.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

fixedfixer wrote:Follow route 1 north of Edinburgh - the bit between Dundee and Aberdeen follows the coast for quite a way on off road bike tracks. If you go beyond Aberdeen there is a long stretch of cycle route on an old railway line heading north (rail trails are not everyone's idea of a nice ride but it will keep you away from Aberdeen traffic (aka Oil Money in big 4x4's)

It's probably changed a bit since then in a few places, but for the Aberdeen and up sections I have a 2004 tour diary online.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
fixedfixer

Post by fixedfixer »

pjclinch wrote:
It's probably changed a bit since then in a few places, but for the Aberdeen and up sections I have a 2004 tour diary online.

Pete.

Nice write up. Bit near Dyce is a bit messy now as been temp diverted whilst they build the new Aberdeen ByPass.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Wilberforce wrote:I actually think that the image is wrong as the with the sign having a blue background, it denotes a motorway, but it is a primary route and not a motorway and therefore I reckon it should be the same as the one where the A1 and A720 join, see link - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.92403 ... 312!8i6656.

It's debatable. If it was an incorrectly-used motorway sign, it would use the motorway typeface, which it doesn't, so it's an "information" sign (like "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"). What's strange is that it's on the roundabout and I think it's an offence to pass such a prohibition sign (even on foot because of the walking prohibition) and an offence to go backwards around the roundabout, so anyone cycling is in a no-win situation, so I feel the sign and, as a consequence, restriction are probably unenforceable. It's still probably nicer to use the A199, as well as about a mile shorter - it would be nice if some cycling route was signed from the restriction.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Edinburgh.
Last June I spent a month in SriLanka and flew back into Edinburgh.
I rode the 12 miles or so from the airport to Waverley Station.
I saw more beggars then than in the previous 28 days.
Sad but true.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Wilberforce

Post by Wilberforce »

mjr wrote:
Wilberforce wrote:I actually think that the image is wrong as the with the sign having a blue background, it denotes a motorway, but it is a primary route and not a motorway and therefore I reckon it should be the same as the one where the A1 and A720 join, see link - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.92403 ... 312!8i6656.

It's debatable. If it was an incorrectly-used motorway sign, it would use the motorway typeface, which it doesn't, so it's an "information" sign (like "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT"). What's strange is that it's on the roundabout and I think it's an offence to pass such a prohibition sign (even on foot because of the walking prohibition) and an offence to go backwards around the roundabout, so anyone cycling is in a no-win situation, so I feel the sign and, as a consequence, restriction are probably unenforceable. It's still probably nicer to use the A199, as well as about a mile shorter - it would be nice if some cycling route was signed from the restriction.

Totally agree on the A199, minimal traffic.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I am so glad that I am not the only one it happened on my cycle round the coast!! I too got stopped by the police on an A road (M) my sat nav took me onto it from a farmers side road (that's what I told the police). They were great though and gave me a lift off, I even got a selfie with me in handcuffs next to two policemen which made it worthwhile!!!

The police who helped me were more concerned that I would be safe and they were really understanding, I guess they figured there isn't anyone really mad enough to cycle on a motorway by choice!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk