CARLISLE TO EDINBURGH

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Chris Ince

CARLISLE TO EDINBURGH

Post by Chris Ince »

Daughter is doing this in a few weeks; any advice on routes to Edinburgh? beyond that either on toPerth then Glenshee, Tomintoul etc or on the paths and minor roads to Aviemore-Inverness.
Cheers
Paulatic

Re: CARLISLE TO EDINBURGH

Post by Paulatic »

Some people go the A7. I wouldn't.
Scenic route 1 longtown langholm eskdalemuir innerleithen
Scenic route 2 Gretna Lockerbie eskdalemuir
Scenic route 3 Gretna Moffat Gordon arms Innerleithen
Direct n easy Gretna Moffat A701 nice cycle way after Penicuik

There, I've said it now
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Many thanks, was looking at last suggestion and may go with that. Cheers
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

if you're going into Edinburgh itself then a better route than the Penicuik/Dalkeith cycle way is to continue on minor roads to Roslin, and take the Roslin/Gilmerton cycle path. This begins at the 90-degree bend in the middle of Roslin, and pops out near Gilmerton at Lasswade Road; it's a downhill tarmac'd cycle path. Then at the end of the cycle path head up the hill and you'll then drop down into Edinburgh southside.

If coming up the 701 you can continue at Leadburn, through Howgate and left as you pass Rosewell, dropping down and up Roslin Glen. Alternatively Howgate and through Auchendinny to Roslin.

The Penicuk/Dalkeith cycle way takes you over to the east side, which is a few miles extra if you're planning on head out of the west of the city.

cheers
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

FarOeuf wrote:if you're going into Edinburgh itself then a better route than the Penicuik/Dalkeith cycle way is to continue on minor roads to Roslin, and take the Roslin/Gilmerton cycle path. This begins at the 90-degree bend in the middle of Roslin, and pops out near Gilmerton at Lasswade Road; it's a downhill tarmac'd cycle path. Then at the end of the cycle path head up the hill and you'll then drop down into Edinburgh southside.

If coming up the 701 you can continue at Leadburn, through Howgate and left as you pass Rosewell, dropping down and up Roslin Glen. Alternatively Howgate and through Auchendinny to Roslin.

The Penicuk/Dalkeith cycle way takes you over to the east side, which is a few miles extra if you're planning on head out of the west of the city.

cheers

I agree I just couldn't remember where it started at

I was there for the weekend in April staying in Roslyn and I just couldn't dredge the memory bank. Oh age strikes again :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I was going up that way again ............... and it may happen.
I'd use the A7 if I was in a hurry. Nowt wrong with that road, but it's a big road, and it's busy in places.

If I was going to take a bit more time, I'd head up the Old A74 to Moffat, then A701 via Tweedsmuir and Leadburn. Then via Penicuik and into the city.

Personally, I wouldn't go into Edinburgh at all.
If you want to get over the Forth, head further west instead IMHO.
Stay on the Old A74 all the way to Abington, then peel off via the outskirts of Lanark A70/A706 to Whitburn , then A89/A899 through Kirkliston B800 to the Forth Road Bridge.

However, it's all to do with how far you can go in the one day from Carlisle, and where to stay the night.
SYHA in Edinburgh on Leith Walk is very good indeed and well worth the stopover.
It's just a pity it's in the big horrible city of Edinburgh, but there's a nice pub just over the road. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Chris Ince

Post by Chris Ince »

Many thanks Mick, I think daughter will opt for route other than A7 heading to Edingburgh; you are right about distances, not a lot between Carlisle and Edinburgh and Abington servicesfor accomodation a short day this time of year
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I did the A 7 last year from the campsite in Carlisle to the campsite in Edinburgh, I found it quite pleasant and not busy at all. Any slower/longer routes would have made for a very long day!