Cicerone guide, hang on a second!!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
9queens

Cicerone guide, hang on a second!!

Post by 9queens »

Right.
I just bought the Cicerone guide to this route but was immediately horrified to find that they recommend Glasgow to Inverness up the A82 and not all the way from Balloch on NCR7

Is this book similarly focussed on directness over safety and pleasure in the English sections which I'm not familiar with???

As a new member of the forum I'm aware there are probably numerous threads giving alternative routes already- just looking for a rough yes/no to see if I've totally wasted my cash
phil parker

Re: Cicerone guide, hang on a second!!

Post by phil parker »

There are numerous routes and even more opinions - as to whether or not you've wasted any cash, save that decision until you've completed the End-to-End.

I went from Glasgow to Fort William to Inverness along the A82 the first time I did it (out of 3) and it seemed the most obvious choice, but I didn't really enjoy some parts of that route, apart from Crianlarich to Glen Coe, but it was great for making progress i.e. 90-mile days. Now that I'm wiser...I would take much longer anyway and use longer, more scenic routes.

I didn't really enjoy the A9 (and old A9) neither! Lairg to Bettyhill to JoG was fantastic.
9queens

Post by 9queens »

Thanks, having read a few old threads I can see what a wealth of knowledge there is about this route.

I'm looking for the most scenic/most traffic free route and do about 70 miles a day. If anyone knows a quick link to something like this please point me in the right direction.
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

Hi 9queens
If you really want to go traffic-free you could check out my route which I did November last year. From JOG end I took forest roads to Forsinain, Great Glen Way, Ballachulish-Oban cycle path, cycle paths from Ardross, canals from Carnforth to Coventry, Kennet & Avon Canal, Collier's Way, Bridewater-Taunton Canal, Grand Western Canal,Granite Way, part of Camel Trail, Cornish Coast to Coast. In between I followed NCNs and other backroads, and cycle paths.
Some of the canals and parts of great glen way were grim going on a road tourer, and knobby tyres would have helped. If you want to check out my blog it's at http://hilloverthehill.blogspot.co.uk
pwa

Post by pwa »

Thumbing through my copy, it does avoid the A49 alongside the Welsh Marches which, in my opinion, is a very good thing. I have cycled up that road when it was less busy than it is these days, and I didn't enjoy it then. Too much fast traffic passing too close, and over many long miles. Now I just drive up that road and would not want to be on it on a bike for more than a mile or two. So I don't think you have wasted your money. The route up from Bolton to Slaidburn is also a reasonable compromise. The A675 through Belmont (do have a pint in the Black Dog) can be busy at times and traffic can go too fast, but it is a good width and has great views, so if you tackle it when the commuters are thinner on the ground you should enjoy it.

Use that book as one source of suggestions, and use the bits that seem to fit with what you want.
9queens

Post by 9queens »

Thanks hill over the hill. Will definitely check out your blog. I know the great glen way and would always prefer to reach Inverness up Route 7. Info about England of great interest.
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

If I'm around when you come through inverness you're welcome stay at my place. I'm on Warm Shower, based in Kirkhill
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

We (some work colleagues and I) used this guide a few years back, although we did modify it to suite our needs/desires we stayed in Balloch and used the cycle route as far as we could which was lovely and well worth missing the A82 although we ended up doing quite a chunk of it.

I would suggest doing the same using it as a guide and not sticking to it religiously, it was quite good in Cornwall and directed the route along the south coast and then over dartmoor which is nicer than the motorway that is the A30.
Rich