What bike did you use?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
matt2matt2002

What bike did you use?

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I almost asked, " What is the best bike to use?" But perhaps that's too much of a leading question; into a minefield?

I have one bike at the moment; a Thorn Raven touring bike that has served me well for long overseas tours.

I hope to attempt LEJOG next year and am considering a new purchase.
One of the main considerations will be next year's attempt.

Many thanks for your opinions

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Si

Re: What bike did you use?

Post by Si »

I went for the bike from my collection that was:
- comfortable
- reliable/robust
- could tote a moderate load without impact on handling
- had the gears I wanted

...which turned out to be a rigid MTB with slick tyres, rack, etc. And I was happy with choice.
horizon

Post by horizon »

matt2matt2002 wrote:One of the main considerations will be next year's attempt.

Many thanks for your opinions

It's only an opinion but I would have thought the following factors will determine bike choice. There is some overlap but some factors where a particular bike would be clearly unsuitable:

Length of time taken
Season
Camping or not
Supported or not
Route type (on'off road)
Daily mileage
Budget
Familiarity with bike type
Travelling together (tandem?)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

You say the Thorn Raven has served you well on long tours.

What do you expect to be different about LEJoG? Do you intend to travel faster/slower than your previous tours? Lighter/more luggage? etc. (see horizon's list.)

If the answer to all such questions is "no", why not just use your existing bike?

If you expect some aspects to be different, what is it about the Raven that will be unsuitable? This should at least give some ideas about what you want in your new bike.

(Of course you may just want a new bike even if you don't really need one - this is perfectly understandable...)

FWIW I used my Dawes Sardar for a 13-day LEJoG staying in B&Bs. If I did it again I would use something lighter, but it did the job.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Unless you are doing a supported LEJoG, why would you take anything except the Thorn?

Or is this just a thin excuse for a new acquisition? ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

I used my Thorn Sherpa for my JOGLE. Absolutely perfect for my 3 week scenic route trip. It meant I could take the forestry tracks to stay off the A82 and the canal paths as and when I wanted without worrying about tyre sizes or the weight of the luggage on the frame. With all my camping gear loaded I just stopped when I wanted to (as long as I could find a campsite at that time of course)

Of course if you want to B & B and complete the trip in 9 days, then I would not recommend you use your Thorn Raven, but for camping and off road cycle paths or small roads there is nothing better.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Ribble 631 with one of them new fangled carbon forks :wink:

(2003 - supported)
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

2009 lejog was a giant scr 1.5. 2011 attempt at a double giant scr1.5. 2014 lejog was a Tifosi :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Both ways, unsupported B&B/pubs - 2005 JOGLE on a 1975 Dawes Galaxy with original Weinman centre-pull brakes that were "worrying" on fast downhills - 2010 LEJOG on the same machine but with upgraded dual-pivot brakes which were excellent.

As suggested - the Thorn you have seem just the job.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

matt2matt2002 wrote:I have one bike at the moment; a Thorn Raven touring bike that has served me well for long overseas tours.

.......Look no further...... :wink:
Peejay56

Post by Peejay56 »

Thorn Raven - perfect bike for LeJog unless you're trying to complete the ride in super quick time.

I used my Raven for LeJog back in 2014 - 11 day solo ride, unsupported and it was spot on, no issues whatsoever.

You have the right bike - just go do it.

Pete.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks folks.
I guess I'll stick to my Raven
I was half wishing for a new bike. But no excuses now.

I've used it in June for a month in Sri Lanka, last year for the Pamir Highway and year before for the Scottish End 2 end.
So I guess it will get me the distance.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
horizon

Post by horizon »

matt2matt2002 wrote:I was half wishing for a new bike.

As a matter of interest why was that? A Raven would be top of many people's lists. If you wanted a lighter bike for a quicker ride then that would still be a legitimate reason for getting one (as long as you kept the Raven of course!).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gogledd58

Post by gogledd58 »

I rode LEJoG in May this year (2016) on a steel Spa Touring carrying just 2 Ortleib Roller Classic panniers and using YHA/B&B. My friend who rode with me did it on her Cannondale SuperSix Evo, with two 10ltr drybags attached to her seat stem and handlebars - I was impressed with how light she could travel!!

We did it 14 days and rode everyday. I can recommend the Spa tourer as a good workhorse - strong, sturdy, reliable and comfortable.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

gogledd58 wrote: My friend who rode with me did it on her Cannondale SuperSix Evo, with two 10ltr drybags attached to her seat stem and handlebars - I was impressed with how light she could travel!!

Wow.....what a woman...She's just PERFECT for me.... I'm a 'minimalist' and I've NEVER met the female version...

This is literally true. My wife takes more 'stuff' to work...every day.... (bags bags bags) than I took for a three week tour of Australia... :shock: